Page 5 of 8 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 7:22 pm

Mmm, i like eggs. And bacon. Man, I want bacon...

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 7:27 pm

emlion wrote:
Mmm, i like eggs. And bacon. Man, I want bacon...

Me too. Bacon is the bestest food ever. ^0^

Brainiac5
Raven
Raven

09 Jan 2011, 7:46 pm

I think what a lot of people trying to give well intentioned advice don't understand, is %99 of the advice given is something we've all been told and tried before. And while such advice works wonders for NTs, for Aspies its either something that doesn't work because our Aspie behavior does surface sooner or later and ruins things, or that we're being asked to do something which only an NT is capable of in the first place.
Please understand that your advice is appreciated, but we've already tried it again and again, and that's how we know it just doesn't work for us.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 7:52 pm

The main reason I don't follow the advice posted by others here is that its all stuff I have tryed before. I know it won't work. Another poster said get a hobby. I have a few hobbies, they are fun. But to be honest a hobby is no replacement for a relationship. I am not talking about sex, if I want sex I can get it whenever I want. Sex is nothing without a relationship. Not having a relationship is leaving a huge emotional hole in me.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 8:26 pm

Brainiac5 wrote:
I think what a lot of people trying to give well intentioned advice don't understand, is %99 of the advice given is something we've all been told and tried before. And while such advice works wonders for NTs, for Aspies its either something that doesn't work because our Aspie behavior does surface sooner or later and ruins things, or that we're being asked to do something which only an NT is capable of in the first place.
Please understand that your advice is appreciated, but we've already tried it again and again, and that's how we know it just doesn't work for us.

I think Laz is right, its an issue of deeper mechanics somewhere that isn't being addressed.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 8:36 pm

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
astaut wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Brainiac5 wrote:
Let's face, people like us are as incapable of finding love as a paraplegic is incapable of walking, and we're just as helpless to change it.

Agreed. I'm diagnosed as AS and I've had romantic relationships (and I don't want to hear I'm a girl so it's easier for me).

Given the disproportionate percentage of aspie girls in relationships vs. aspie guys in relationships, I think it indeed is easier for girls.

Disproportionate number of AS females actually in relationships, or disproportionate number of ones that you are noticing here/females that have posted versus males that are not posting?

I was just trying to say that I've seen (male and female) AS relationships happen in case it might be taken as hopeful. But if it doesn't count because I'm a girl, then nevermind.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 8:38 pm

Brainiac5 wrote:
Let's face, people like us are as incapable of finding love as a paraplegic is incapable of walking, and we're just as helpless to change it.

Yes, it is a disability.
No, it doesn't mean that someone with it is incapable of finding love.
What you're saying is equivalent to saying that someone with paraplegia can't be mobile at all. They can, they just have to do it differently to someone with functioning legs, and it will most likely be more difficult.
There are people on this forum who are in stable, long-term relationships, so it's obviously possible.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 10:15 pm

Moog wrote:
Xeno wrote:
Honestly... at this point I'm seriously wondering if ANYONE is capable of it, and if most people are just a lot better at faking it than we are. The idea that in a population of over six billion people, there is ONE person for everyone, and a good chance of them even being on the same continent, let alone just happening to magically find each other... well, people can call me a cynical pessimist who "thinks too much", but I find it all absurd, and I think I've dealt with enough of it for one lifetime.

This makes me think that on average, people approach love as some kind of weird and special thing to only be given to a single person under certain circumstances. When I think of love as something to be given to everyone in various shades and degrees, then I see that love is abundant and self regenerating. I advise those who cannot love the one they want to love the ones they are with, whether it is your family, friends, co-workers, strangers or enemies.

/jesus mode

I agree Moog, I try to do the same with the people in my life.

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 12:09 am

sunshower wrote:
Moog wrote:
Xeno wrote:
Honestly... at this point I'm seriously wondering if ANYONE is capable of it, and if most people are just a lot better at faking it than we are. The idea that in a population of over six billion people, there is ONE person for everyone, and a good chance of them even being on the same continent, let alone just happening to magically find each other... well, people can call me a cynical pessimist who "thinks too much", but I find it all absurd, and I think I've dealt with enough of it for one lifetime.

This makes me think that on average, people approach love as some kind of weird and special thing to only be given to a single person under certain circumstances. When I think of love as something to be given to everyone in various shades and degrees, then I see that love is abundant and self regenerating. I advise those who cannot love the one they want to love the ones they are with, whether it is your family, friends, co-workers, strangers or enemies.

/jesus mode

I agree Moog, I try to do the same with the people in my life.

Sometimes it's not enough. There are multiple kinds of love, and humans need all of them, or at least most of them, to be completely happy. This includes familial love, romantic love, admiration, and friendship, among possibly others. Right now I have a family and a puppy, but I still feel lonely sometimes because I don't have any friends.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 12:23 am

Erisad wrote:
Yeah. I've used a lot of people's advice to help turn my life around. I used to wallow in misery A LOT on here and I regret every bit of it now looking back on it. Life's better when you look at the sunny side up I guess. Mmmmm eggs. :)

It's easier when your circumstances are looking up. I was just as bubbly as you guys were for that short time I had a gf (at least until it started falling apart). I have a feeling that if either of you lost your bf for whatever reason (death, breakup, whatever), you wouldn't be anywhere near as happy. At least that's what I can determine based on my own experiences...

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 12:25 am

you'd be surprised and wrong on many occasions

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 12:31 am

Kilroy wrote:
you'd be surprised and wrong on many occasions

Have you ever tried just being happy when your life is just utter s**t? I did once, and I felt like the most pretentious douche ever, for even suggesting to myself that, in spite of the facts, my life didn't suck. That little experiment lasted all of 5 minutes.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 12:32 am

Brainiac5 wrote:
Grisha wrote:
Brainiac5 wrote:

QFT

I get kind of annoyed with the (sincere and very well-meaning) people who say "lose weight", "Get a job", "buy nice clothes", "join a club", etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Like those things are going to cure your Aspergers.

Take it from someone who has done those things as far as they can possibly be done, it may spark a little initial interest, but once your AS becomes apparent they can't get away fast enough...

F*ck.

Just f*ck. :cry:

I know what you mean. Friends keep telling me to go to a bar or join a club or something, or to just stop looking and then it will happen on its own. They just don't get why what works for them won't work for me.

It almost never "happens on it's own" for someone with AS. This is true of women with AS as well, and men with AS seem to have a hard time understanding this.

It does not happen on it's own for people with AS because, it in fact, does not happen on it's own for NT's either. NT's have an innate programing through which they make "it" happen, which they are completely oblivious to.

However, it's not beyond someone with AS to implement a similar program manually.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 1:09 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Brainiac5 wrote:

I think Laz is right, its an issue of deeper mechanics somewhere that isn't being addressed.

I never give advice that would only work for NTs, that would be stupid.

Yes, there's huge gaps in the 'deeper mechanics' here. Aspies naturally don't relate well. To themselves or others. Most of what I advocate in all spheres of the autistic community is fundamentals; getting in touch with one's own mind, body and soul. Learning relaxation skills, self esteem, awareness and concentration skills, listening skills, people skills, learning to be kind and open and fluid.

It's a kind of bottom up approach; all these things will give you foundational tools to use in 99% of life situations. Going top down - starting with a singular problem, and then looking for quick fixes seems limited... these methods seem to require vast energy investment that only apply in specific situations.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 2:55 am

Moog wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Brainiac5 wrote:

I never give advice that would only work for NTs, that would be stupid.

Yes, there's huge gaps in the 'deeper mechanics' here. Aspies naturally don't relate well. To themselves or others. Most of what I advocate in all spheres of the autistic community is fundamentals; getting in touch with one's own mind, body and soul. Learning relaxation skills, self esteem, awareness and concentration skills, listening skills, people skills, learning to be kind and open and fluid.

It's a kind of bottom up approach; all these things will give you foundational tools to use in 99% of life situations. Going top down - starting with a singular problem, and then looking for quick fixes seems limited... these methods seem to require vast energy investment that only apply in specific situations.

Just chiming in to agree here, because I think you make an excellent point. Working on the "fundamentals" may seem more difficult or daunting, and it may not seem the obvious route if one is looking for immediate pay off, but it will help you in many areas of your life rather than with only one specific problem. Working on one specific problem without working on the underlying issues seems, to me, to be not the wisest method. Like trying to build a castle on top a swamp.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 12:49 pm

It is very hard for people with AS to know what they need to work on. I asked friends that I wanted a deeper relationship with why they don't feel the same way. They all said "don't know, just something about you.". Very frustrating. How can we fix what's wrong when we don't know what's broke.