Random question regarding AS and marriage

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

verbal0rchid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Feb 2011, 11:20 am

Have any of you known or experienced this?

Two people get married, for whatever reason, love, pregnancy, etc. One finds out they have AS, and then the other finds out they do as well. Neither knew prior to this, yet like draws to like.... Any substance to that from anyone here?

Just an odd question that has me curious...

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 1:46 pm

I've noticed that people with AS, or at least with "traits", seem to be drawn to each other. My wife has always said she saw something in me no one else ever saw - and, now that I've figured out I have AS, I realise she undoubtedly has traits. I don't think she's actually AS herself - although her cousin, one of the few people I could understand instinctively, was totally classic AS - but she is pretty close to the line.

My parents both had pretty strong traits, too. Neither was ever diagnosed, and it is much harder to tell with someone else exactly what is going on in their head, but my father even had the delayed speech, to the point he used to tell this story where he'd put a spin on it. (In his version, he was waiting until he could talk in complete sentences.) And he'd repeat phrases a lot (something I do, too). He had the "special interests", too. And my mother was worse at reading people than I am - and used to laugh at precisely the wrong moments, and have full-scale meltdowns. If my mother were alive, and my father's mind still working, I'm pretty sure they'd end up diagnosed - and if not, it would be one of those cases where they were pretty close to the line. (I'm not even listing everything, just the traits that really stuck out to the point people remarked on them.)

It actually makes sense to me that it would work this way. NTs never learn to read us, but we make sense to each other. So, diagnosed or not, aware of it or not, wouldn't it be likely that we'd end up with people who made at least some sense to us, and who could make some sense out of us in return?

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 1:53 pm

theWanderer wrote:
I've noticed that people with AS, or at least with "traits", seem to be drawn to each other.

I have noticed this too.