Page 6 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 4:12 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
^ How (out of interest)?

Do I have a female or male writing pattern?

I would have to read more of your stuff -- I know I have, but it doesn't leap out at me in my recollections.

It's one of those things that is hard to actually explicitly define -- if I really sat down, maybe I could put out some of the rules, but they would be very gray and not absolute. It's sort of a constellation of things in the writing that make it obvious it's a guy.

Like --

--Statements that seem very masculine, domineering, "how dare you question me"-kind of tone, etc. Mind you, I'm one of the pro-male guys here generally, though I think I split the issues evenly, and I'm not a misogynist (women are wonderful) -- but it just leaped out at me that "this is probably how I sound when I'm being a shouting ass around the house." The statements are also rather terse for a female writer (and yes, I know, guys, especially me, can go on and on, but this guy didn't).

--The "wet through her pants" thing -- yeah, not something I often (or ever) hear other women talk about, unless they are talking about themselves. As someone else above pointed out succinctly, it's not usually a topic for women when talking about other women. For guys, talking about other women -- oh yes. :)

--Any attraction at all to that Spearpoint/Point of the Spear/whatever site. Out of curiosity, I did track down some of the "sources" in that essay -- kind of dumb when someone uses other opinions (with no facts) as links to prove his argument. That site is just pure propaganda and misogynistic drivel. No facts there, and not a site any woman, whether she be self-loathing or not, would ever go on for any extended period of time. When someone's argument sounds like a sales pitch for an idea, and is very light on facts, that's a big warning sign, btw.

--The name of the profile/account sounded more like a derisive name or a female teacher the guy had bad memories of. It didn't ring true like a nickname a woman/girl would have thought of for a teacher she hated. "Miss" anything is not an insult for a woman, or one that she would have considered an insult -- for men, yes, it does have some negative connotations and memories in the right context.

--And, as pointed out by Bethie -- the profile was remarkably new. Seems awfully convenient, given our choice of topic...

So that's just shooting from the hip. I'm sure others can point out things I'm missing here that were surefire giveaways. I wouldn't be surprised if the guy that posted under that fake profile also was the author of the essay.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 4:21 pm

Interesting. Well I found this and wrote some text out. and it came up with:

417 female score
400 male score

GenderGenie thinks the author is Female!

http://bookblog.net/gender/genie.php

There it is if anyone wants to put something they have written in the box to test, it is interesting.

I am not surprised i guess that I got scores that are almost equivalent with male and female. I think I write in a sort of "personal" manner with personal pronouns, but I also write about objects a lot too. I wonder if a number of aspie females may get a male score.

Taking a break.

MissTessbacher
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Mar 2011, 4:36 pm

http://malechauvinist.blogspot.com/

Written by, yes, a woman.

Nevermind the lengths that you people are going through to avoid a debate that you know you are on the wrong side of..

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 4:46 pm

edited.

Taking a break.

Last edited by zen_mistress on 24 Mar 2011, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 4:48 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
Interesting. Well I found this and wrote some text out. and it came up with:

417 female score
400 male score

GenderGenie thinks the author is Female!

http://bookblog.net/gender/genie.php

There it is if anyone wants to put something they have written in the box to test, it is interesting.

I am not surprised i guess that I got scores that are almost equivalent with male and female. I think I write in a sort of "personal" manner with personal pronouns, but I also write about objects a lot too. I wonder if a number of aspie females may get a male score.

Wow! That's awesome thanks.

Apparently it thinks my blog is written by a woman. People do mistake me for female on forums though.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 4:50 pm

Yes, it's an awesome link, although according to it I'm a male :)

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 4:59 pm

And I am a female.

That's 0/3 out of the WP moderators. What does that say? :lol:

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 5:03 pm

MissTessbacher wrote:
Nevermind the lengths that you people are going through to avoid a debate that you know you are on the wrong side of..

This sentence -- very male. "You people" -- I never hear a woman say that. Same with the "wrong side of". Sounds like something Rush would say.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 5:04 pm

Im not really sure if it is a good indicator of gender, perhaps it is more an indicator of people-orientation, as all the female words are people based but all the male words are object based.

Taking a break.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 5:07 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
Im not really sure if it is a good indicator of gender, perhaps it is more an indicator of people-orientation, as all the female words are people based but all the male words are object based.

I think you are right and that would also explain my score. I've seen their list of "feminine" and "masculine" words and that would confirm your theory too.

Last edited by Sallamandrina on 24 Mar 2011, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 5:07 pm

This is way OT, but if anyone knows of any other text analysis doodads, let me know. I love them.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 5:11 pm

starygrrl wrote:
That or nanobots. Personally I cannot wait to be a hyperintelligent electronic or cybernetic being. Again, more singularity stuff.

Do you really want something wired that deep into your mind that someone else built and programmed though? Someone clever enough could have a LOT of zombies picking bananas for them.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 5:26 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
^ How (out of interest)?

Do I have a female or male writing pattern?
You tend towards female but not significantly so.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 5:38 pm

*Interesting! Why do you say that? Yeah that is kind of the case always when I do gender tests, so you are correct.

Taking a break.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 5:49 pm

^ Sometimes I notice a dick in your texts.....

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 5:52 pm

^ Sometimes I notice a duck in your texts.

Taking a break.