Page 3 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 10:14 pm

So, OP, you have a selection of responses. I'd suggest you comment stalk some posters from each camp and see who complains more about loneliness and hopelessness.

Just sayin'.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 10:16 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
So, OP, you have a selection of responses. I'd suggest you comment stalk some posters from each camp and see who complains more about loneliness and hopelessness.

Just sayin'.

interesting. i think it is a mixed bag.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 10:25 pm

K-R-X wrote:
RainingRoses wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
How can anyone entertain the idea of building relationships while never allowing for people to error, grow, and change? It becomes a method of self selection, of making sure no one will ever meet the standard and, thus, an actual relationship never have to be dealt with. Don't listen to it.

Take this situation as an opportunity to practice the necessary social skill of moving past a difficult situation and warranted anger, into forgiveness and understanding. It is something one can never practice enough, and a skill essential to your future relationships.

This is some seriously good advice, friends. And we ignore it at our own peril. Everyone loses when we "punch people in the face." Mostly the person doing the punching. As I said earlier, it's been pretty rare when I've been long-term satisfied with my decision to burn bridges with someone. There's been a lot of regret along the lines of, "why didn't I just give that person a chance to make amends? I'd have a friend today if I had."

And I'm the opposite. I could have avoided an abusive marrage if I hadn't forgiven so easily those first signs of trouble.

That is the complication, of course, and I am not going to discount it in any way. Real abuse is usually too subtle to accurately discuss in a "don't fall for this" type of way; my suggestion there is that when you feel yourself changing, really doubting yourself, in situations that should have been clear ... maybe there is a problem. Relationships should make a person stronger and more independent, not weaker and more dependent.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 10:28 pm

Erisad wrote:
I guess that makes a bit of sense but frankly, I probably wouldn't trust that girl much. Laughing at a disabled person for being disabled is pretty shallow. She probably knows what she did but has that, "it doesn't affect me" attitude. I only forgive people once they thoroughly demonstrated that they are sorry and willing to change. :/

19 year olds laugh at what they have been taught to laugh at.

They have a whole lifetime to learn differently.

Few are the same people at 39 they were at 19 in any way, shape or form.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 10:31 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Erisad wrote:
I guess that makes a bit of sense but frankly, I probably wouldn't trust that girl much. Laughing at a disabled person for being disabled is pretty shallow. She probably knows what she did but has that, "it doesn't affect me" attitude. I only forgive people once they thoroughly demonstrated that they are sorry and willing to change. :/

By the time they're 19, they should know better. Especially with all the preachings of tolerance that's in schools these days. Then again, I didn't have many friends when I was in my teens because the lot of them were immature and shallow people. I made friends in college because hey people actually read books there. What a shock. :roll:

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 10:33 pm

Erisad wrote:
By the time they're 19, they should know better.

yes.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 10:41 pm

Erisad wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Erisad wrote:

By the time they're 19, they should know better. Especially with all the preachings of tolerance that's in schools these days. Then again, I didn't have many friends when I was in my teens because the lot of them were immature and shallow people. I made friends in college because hey people actually read books there. What a shock. :roll:

Should know better is not the same as actually knowing better. It really depends on who one's influences have been to date, and how they needed to act to survive socially where they were at. 19 year olds, at least NT 19 year olds, are still chameleons, tending to take on the thoughts and aspects of those they feel they need to impress. It takes maturity and high self-esteem to move beyond that, and few 19 year old girls have those qualities.

If she was 39 and doing that, I'd see a problem. At 19 ... I see someone who is still growing up and learning how to integrate ideals into reality.

When I was in college, despite all my liberal ideals, I noticed myself crossing the street when I saw certain kinds of people on the sidewalk. In my gut, I was afraid. In my conscious brain, I knew I was being prejudice, and shouldn't be. Integrating all that, over coming the hurdle, was a challenge for me. Just because you have your values and ideals set does not mean everyone does or should.

The OP has said that he plans to talk with her once his feelings have settled, and I hope the talk went well. I think its the right thing to do.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 10:45 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Erisad wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Erisad wrote:

Should know better is not the same as actually knowing better. It really depends on who one's influences have been to date, and how they needed to act to survive socially where they were at. 19 year olds, at least NT 19 year olds, are still chameleons, tending to take on the thoughts and aspects of those they feel they need to impress. It takes maturity and high self-esteem to move beyond that, and few 19 year old girls have those qualities.

If she was 39 and doing that, I'd see a problem. At 19 ... I see someone who is still growing up and learning how to integrate ideals into reality.

When I was in college, despite all my liberal ideals, I noticed myself crossing the street when I saw certain kinds of people on the sidewalk. In my gut, I was afraid. In my conscious brain, I knew I was being prejudice, and shouldn't be. Integrating all that, over coming the hurdle, was a challenge for me. Just because you have your values and ideals set does not mean everyone does or should.

The OP has said that he plans to talk with her once his feelings have settled, and I hope the talk went well. I think its the right thing to do.

So you're saying it's acceptable for someone to ridicule a disabled person just because they're young? I would understand dismissing if a child were to do it because they're a little kid and just need to be told. By the time one is 19, they should have been introduced to a disabled person in one way or another and should understand that making fun of them isn't taken very kindly by most people. If she really wanted to conform, she would have shut the hell up and not even acknowledged it. Then to insult the OP even further makes it worse.

I hope the talk went well too but I'm expecting a lot of excuses from her to cover her ass. :/

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 10:50 pm

Erisad wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Erisad wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Erisad wrote:

So you're saying it's acceptable for someone to ridicule a disabled person just because they're young? I would understand dismissing if a child were to do it because they're a little kid and just need to be told. By the time one is 19, they should have been introduced to a disabled person in one way or another and should understand that making fun of them isn't taken very kindly by most people. If she really wanted to conform, she would have shut the hell up and not even acknowledged it. Then to insult the OP even further makes it worse.

I hope the talk went well too but I'm expecting a lot of excuses from her to cover her ass. :/

With any luck, he got apologies, not excuses.

I wouldn't hold too well for excuses, either. But someone who apologized and made an extra effort to learn more in the process ... that would be a good sign.

I didn't say it was acceptable. I said it wasn't something I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water over without allowing the other to try to work it out first.

Seriously, how many of us didn't make any mistakes that serious in youth? And if you think you didn't, would those who knew you say the same thing, that you didn't?

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 10:51 pm

I don't even get the notion of having to be told laughing at someone for things they can't help is a d!ck move.

My mother never had to tell me "Don't stab anyone. No kicking puppies in the face or spitting on homeless people. No making fun of Autistic kids, neither."

to his Interest."

Last edited by ValentineWiggin on 23 Jun 2011, 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JohnOldman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2011, 10:52 pm

Erisad wrote:
So you're saying it's acceptable for someone to ridicule a disabled person just because they're young?

I believe the point was that she is too young for the ridicule to warrant ending the relationship without talking it over. That, at such a young age, the girl has the ability to make a shift in character.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 10:54 pm

JohnOldman wrote:
Erisad wrote:
So you're saying it's acceptable for someone to ridicule a disabled person just because they're young?

I believe the point was that she is too young for the ridicule to warrant ending the relationship without talking it over. That, at such a young age, the girl has the ability to make a shift in character.

What does that have to with her character or lack thereof *now*?

to his Interest."

JohnOldman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2011, 10:55 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
JohnOldman wrote:
Erisad wrote:

What does that have to with her character or lack thereof *now*?

The shift in character could happen now.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 10:56 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
I don't even get the notion of having to be told laughing at someone for things they can't help is a d!ck move.

yes. even children generally learn that. the ones who do it anyways are usually bullies, which can be improved but rarely eradicated. it just transforms into other types of bullying in later years and adulthood. trained and experienced teacher on a soapbox here.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 11:07 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

yes. even children generally learn that. the ones who do it anyways are usually bullies, which can be improved but rarely eradicated. it just transforms into other types of bullying in later years and adulthood. trained and experienced teacher on a soapbox here.

And I recently watched a TV show where spouses were caught laughing at their spouses over things that the injured spouse did not find the least bit funny. And yet they loved them.

I watch America's Funniest Home videos and wonder how people can find such cruel jokes funny.

People don't always laugh appropriately. Life has to make allowances for that.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to cast stones unless they are well earned. You all are really going to tell me you've never judged wrongly, laughed inappropriately, or inadvertently hurt someone's feelings over something it turns out they can't help? If anyone wants to lay those claims, I call them on it, because I don't believe them for one second.

I posted because I did not like the judgmental attitude of some posts in this thread. And I still don't. One situation does NOT allow any of us to know what this girl's character is really like. To read that much into stuff like this, that just happens, is WRONG. Odds are only 1 in 10 that the first reaction was right. Yet on this board some people post as if it's always right. I don't accept that as a fair way to view the world, and I think it is an awful way to live.

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 24 Jun 2011, 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 11:16 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

And I recently watched a TV show where spouses were caught laughing at their spouses over things that the injured spouse did not find the least bit funny. And yet they loved them.

I watch America's Funniest Home videos and wonder how people can find such cruel jokes funny.

People don't always laugh appropriately. Life has to make allowances for that.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to cast stones unless they are well earned. You all are really going to tell me you've never judged wrongly, laughed inappropriately, or inadvertently hurt someone's feelings over something it turns out they can't help? If anyone wants to lay those claims, I call them on it, because I don't believe them for one second.

I posted because I did not like the judgmental attitude of some posts in this thread. And I still don't. One situation does NOT allow any of us to know what this girl's character is really like. To read that much into stuff like this, that just happens, is WRONG in all instances.

i don't laugh at what i don't understand. i have never understood that instinct to laugh. like if someone falls out of their chair or something, it does not make sense to me that people would laugh. someone could be hurt, and at the very least that person is embarrassed and doesn't need to add insult to injury. yes, i was telling off the whole damn class in school as a CHILD if they laughed someone who got hurt or embarrassed.

it wasn't even like the girl had an impulsive or instinctive burst of laughter that she felt bad about. she found something funny then took a friend aside to laugh about it. laughing AT people is not acceptable to me, whether they can hear it or not. it is bullying.

we all have character flaws and make mistakes sometimes, sure. but this doesn't look like a simple mistake or a flaw - to me it points to a certain kind of mean streak or bullying behaviour that is just not worth associating with.

we can judge those things we take personal care to avoid doing, ourselves. everyone must judge - it is how we steer our moral compasses to determine what is acceptable in our worlds.