Page 3 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

TheWeirdPig
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jul 2011, 6:26 pm

CaroleTucson wrote:
Grisha wrote:
I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, and I take reasonable precautions with my own children, but the whole thing is really overblown.

No, I don't think it is. Quite the opposite. I think it happens far more than we know. I base my opinion on my own experiences and those of my daughters, as well as other women with whom I've discussed this. I believe it's a rare woman who hasn't experienced some form of sexual misconduct in her life, ranging from mild and inconsequential to extremely trauma-producing.

Yes, women may experience some form of sexual misconduct in their lives, and I feel for them. However, it is usually by one man. How many men does one woman encounter in a year? Hundreds? In a lifetime? Thousands? I'm just trying to put some perspective on this. The number of women who experience sexual misconduct is disproportional to the number of men who perpetrate acts of sexual misconduct.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 6:48 pm

Grisha wrote:
CaroleTucson wrote:
Well, I have to agree with the "poor men". It seems like they can't do anything right where little kids are concerned. Like with so many other things, it's a very thin line they have to walk.

At the same time, however, I do think there are far more closet pedophiles than we know about. There is so much emphasis on "teen this" and "teen that". I also have two daughters who are now grown but I noticed the way men looked at them from the time they were around 10 or so, and they were targets of internet predators more than once. So I tend to be a bit over-conservative on this issue.

And back to the original question ... I could be wrong but this guy sounds creepy to me, too.

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, and I take reasonable precautions with my own children, but the whole thing is really overblown.

I hate to say it, but any man who works with children is being completely reckless in today's environment - only women should be teachers/daycare workers/etc

I personally avoid children other than my own like the plague...

i had a female teacher in junior high who abused a student. he was 14 or 15. i wonder sometimes if it is more common than we know? as a teacher i was NEVER alone with male students as there were a couple of them who were definitely interested in being the ummm 'teacher's pet'. recipe for all kinds of false accusations!! !

anyways, to the OP - he sounds like he is unusual and maybe a bit intense or obsessive, but i would not assume anything paedo is involved or he would probably not be so open about it all!! !

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 6:59 pm

Interesting post by Tequila, about becoming an avowed paedophobe. Me too!

However, I'm sure that if anyone becomes a paedophobe, they must admit it's merely a survival mechanism, as it is for me. Not that I blame them, because there is a heck of a thing to be survived here. It just goes to show the Dark Ages are alive and well among some of us, including some posters in this thread. While many other posters are clearly progressive, and absolutely not in the Dark Ages.

addison
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2011, 7:19 pm

this is also relevant. took me a while to find it but it's an interesting read

click-Eek! A Male!

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 7:20 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
i had a female teacher in junior high who abused a student. he was 14 or 15. i wonder sometimes if it is more common than we know?

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't far more common than is reported, given that it's usually between two sexually mature, consenting people, there have even been cases of people marrying their "abuser". Although there are certainly moral/ethical aspects to consider I don't think such activity is inherently criminal in every case.

Sex acts involving sexually mature people and those involving pre-pubescent children are in different leagues and shouldn't be lumped together like they are now.

addison
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2011, 7:41 pm

Grisha wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
i had a female teacher in junior high who abused a student. he was 14 or 15. i wonder sometimes if it is more common than we know?

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't far more common than is reported, given that it's usually between two sexually mature, consenting people, there have even been cases of people marrying their "abuser". Although there are certainly moral/ethical aspects to consider I don't think such activity is inherently criminal in every case.

Sex acts involving sexually mature people and those involving pre-pubescent children are in different leagues and shouldn't be lumped together like they are now.

well in that case, it's a case of crappy age of consent laws and the fact a teenage male and and older woman is "hot" so it's not reported as much. reminds me again of a south park episode where a teacher was caught having sex with kyle's little brother. the cops are like "nice" and "the real crime is that i she won't do it with me" and then the cops are pretty much forced to do something about it by the principal. lol

ok probably bad example. but it's not criminal for like a 15 year old to have sex with a older teacher, well...it shouldn't be. why? simple, at 15, he/she knows what he/she is doing by having sex at that age. i even heard that say sex between like a 16 year old and a 20 year old is technicality rape too. i'm like wtf? it's only a 4 year difference.

that being said, i'm not saying age of consent laws is stupid. maybe it wouldn't hurt for it to be a little lower or for it to only apply under certain circumstances. shrug i donno

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 7:53 pm

addison wrote:
well in that case, it's a case of crappy age of consent laws and the fact a teenage male and and older woman is "hot" so it's not reported as much. reminds me again of a south park episode where a teacher was caught having sex with kyle's little brother. the cops are like "nice" and "the real crime is that i she won't do it with me" and then the cops are pretty much forced to do something about it by the principal. lol

ok probably bad example. but it's not criminal for like a 15 year old to have sex with a older teacher, well...it shouldn't be. why? simple, at 15, he/she knows what he/she is doing by having sex at that age. i even heard that say sex between like a 16 year old and a 20 year old is technicality rape too. i'm like wtf? it's only a 4 year difference.

that being said, i'm not saying age of consent laws is stupid. maybe it wouldn't hurt for it to be a little lower or for it to only apply under certain circumstances. shrug i donno

There are some reform-minded groups that seek to define a "child" for these purposes as someone who is pre-pubescent where all sex is unlawful, after that individuals are adequately protected by "adult" sexual misconduct laws.

This might eliminate some of the absurd situations where a 16 year old girl is required to register as a sex offender for life for getting caught having sex with her 15 year old
boyfriend.

addison
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2011, 7:59 pm

Grisha wrote:
addison wrote:

There are some reform-minded groups that seek to define a "child" for these purposes as someone who is pre-pubescent where all sex is unlawful, after that individuals are adequately protected by "adult" sexual misconduct laws.

This might eliminate some of the absurd situations where a 16 year old girl is required to register as a sex offender for life for getting caught having sex with her 15 year old
boyfriend.

good example 16 year old girl and 15 year old boy. she's a sex offender for having sex with her boyfriend. them having sex might piss off the parents but it's far from criminal. problem is parents take advantage of that crazy law to put away their child's boyfriend/girlfriend if the parents don't like him/her which that is the real crime

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 8:00 pm

TheWeirdPig wrote:
CaroleTucson wrote:
Grisha wrote:

No, I don't think it is. Quite the opposite. I think it happens far more than we know. I base my opinion on my own experiences and those of my daughters, as well as other women with whom I've discussed this. I believe it's a rare woman who hasn't experienced some form of sexual misconduct in her life, ranging from mild and inconsequential to extremely trauma-producing.

Yes, women may experience some form of sexual misconduct in their lives, and I feel for them. However, it is usually by one man. How many men does one woman encounter in a year? Hundreds? In a lifetime? Thousands? I'm just trying to put some perspective on this. The number of women who experience sexual misconduct is disproportional to the number of men who perpetrate acts of sexual misconduct.

Yes, you're right in what you say. I'm not sure what you're point is, though. "Perspective" doesn't help much when you've just been fondled by your Scout leader or whatever.

I assure you I try not to paint all men with the "sex abuser" brush. But I repeat my earlier assertion that I think the problem is actually far more prevalent than we know.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 8:00 pm

No, no, no. Regardless of the sex or sexual maturity of the parties, high school teachers and students have vastly unequal power. I do believe there's a difference between that and abuse of pre-pubescent children, but that does not make it okay.

Edit: @ addison Great article!

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 8:03 pm

Keeno wrote:
Interesting post by Tequila, about becoming an avowed paedophobe. Me too!

To me, that sounds like a terrible overreaction. You may as well say that because some women have been known to falsely accuse men of raping them, you will henceforth avoid ALL women.

That's just not realistic.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 8:13 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
No, no, no. Regardless of the sex or sexual maturity of the parties, high school teachers and students have vastly unequal power. I do believe there's a difference between that and abuse of pre-pubescent children, but that does not make it okay.

I agree, a conviction should get a teacher fired and their credentials revoked if the activity was "consensual" and criminal prosecution if forced or coerced, just like any other sexual crime.

I'm not saying it's "OK", I'm arguing that it's not "child molestation" and should be handled differently.

addison
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2011, 8:14 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:

Edit: @ addison Great article!

yea i'm not saying that either. say if a high school teacher gets caught having sex with a student. fire the teacher or something. don't arrest the teacher.

legal or not it IS unpoffessional

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 8:23 pm

sweetcupcake wrote:
So i met someone on a dating site, talked online for 5 months but i decided he was too annoying :lol:
Anyway, he said some things, mostly about kids that set alarm bells off in my head. I don't know if he was intending for it to come over as pervy or not.

Nothing comes across as pervy to me. It seems your date is the type of person that lacks a filter with the things he says. He says things in a way that might seem very odd to others.

Quote:
An example of the things he said... we were talking about disney films, and he said he had always dreamt of having a little daughter running around in a Tinkerbell dress, and he hopes one day that comes true. He then said, "as Disney would say, always believe in your dreams." He also said he hopes he has a daughter with long hair and asked me if my hair was long because he liked long hair.

Entirely paternal.

Quote:
Oh and he said when he was looking after kids at the daycare at church," When I take the boys (normally 10 of them) to the toilet half way through the morning it is always a hectic experience lol" trying to get that many boys to wash their hands is virtually impossible lol

Watching after 10 children anywhere at anytime is hectic. The fact it was a bathroom made it awkward. If you say anything remotely about kids & bathrooms, it will cause a distorted view of a usually normal situation.

Imagine if I said to someone, "I met your kid in the bathroom today." simply because O truthfully overheard him talking about his parents while he was washing his hands. People would unfairly assume I was a pervert.

Quote:
He said he thought it was really nice that someone he knew (27) still jumped into bed with his parents every morning and he hopes his kids will do that when they are older. 8O

This is the only thing that raises a red flag for me.

Quote:
He also wanted a photo of me to put in his wallet after we had only been talking for a week or two. He even saved my picture on fb onto his phone background without even asking.

Were you two visibly dating and/or interested in each other. If you were not dating, then that's too much. If you were, then expect that to happen.

Quote:
So am i overreacting or was i right to let him go?

You over reacted somewhat in thinking he was a pervert (sharing the stories of cute things kids do and expressing their paternal instincts does not mean he is perverted). However, he did cross the line with some of the things he did concerning you.

Quote:
He also said: for some reason the boys all like to bundle me when we sit down for story time lol
and two of them like to hug me every 2 minutes lol ( he volunteers in a daycare/creche at church). one Sunday one little boy came and sat on my lap while we had a video on, after a few minutes he turned around and out of the blue said 'I really like you' it was so cute lol

That is a common thing for kids to say and do. When one of my clients' kids warmed up to me when I just turned nineteen. I was watching television. Before I could stop him, he climbed onto my lap. Does that make me a pervert?

I think it is no more perverted for a kid to sit himself/herself in your lap than say a cat or dog. The most important thing is not to force the kid to sit on your lap against their will. It is then that it gets perverted.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 10:31 pm

The touching long hair and jumping into bed with parents makes me think he's a bit strange.

I would also be annoyed about what he did with your picture, but if you put a picture on the internet you have no control over what happens with it.

As for being a pedo.. who knows. He certainly talks about strange stuff. You'd think a pedo wouldn't talk about that sort of thing? I wouldn't worry about it. He may not know what he's saying is even weird or suspect.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions, but just keep an eye open. It's really your decision there isn't much people here can do about it.

Gwenwyn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jul 2011, 10:47 pm

My best guy friend loves kids, and hates pedophiles. Some guys are just gentle and kid-friendly (in a non-creepy way). That said, it is a little odd that he volunteered that kids hug him randomly, unless he thinks talking about kids is a good way to pick up chicks (some guys seem to think our ovarian clock ticks in our ears or something). The FB pic thing would make me back off though - too intense, not enough sensing each other out first.

But I do honestly know some guys who can't wait to have kids. I don't get it, but then - I don't really have a maternal instinct so the whole 'poppin out younguns' thing passed me by...