Getting into a relationship?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Sep 2011, 9:58 am

I don't think I am good enough for the dating game. I mean, I am awkward, I dress funny (dresses and gowns), I am obsessive about recycling and science, I am a transsexual (MtF), I am usually quiet until talking about my interests, I don't really care much for people (reason why I don't plan on adopting a child is because I believe i'll neglect it), I don't show a lt of my emotions.

But I don't want to be alone all my life. I want SOMEONE who loves me to always be there when I need them... and if possible, make him good looking! but I am afraid I am going to be one of those people who live alone and hoard garbage!

what do I do...? I have barely ever had real friends my entire life, let alone be in a relationship, I don't even know how you get into a relationship...

I did not think about this until yesterday. but this could just be one of my passing fads... idk...

AQ: 36

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Sep 2011, 12:02 pm

Please don't be so hard on yourself, saying you're not "good enough" for the dating game. You have many other positive qualities, so have hope :)

When I worked part time in a grocery store, I would people watch. Let me tell you, there are shoppers who you would have seen and thought certainly no one on earth would ever date them. From disgusting personal hygiene, to dressing like someone who was just attacked by wolverines, to being just the weirdest looking frumpy person you've ever seen, there were some crazed looking individuals who came through. What surprised me so much though, was that these strange and smelly beings had partners. AND children. I found it quite interesting.

So I think the point is, there can be someone for everyone (who wants a partner, that is), it is just a matter of finding someone who sees who you really are and likes you for you.

I have also had the thought about not wanting to be alone forever. There are lots of times when you meet someone without even meaning to, and that could be the right person who will think you're wonderful just how you are.

as for what to do, keep being you, and find out as much as you can about who you are and what is important to you, that way when the right person comes along they will be able to see what is special about you.

my two cents :)

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Sep 2011, 12:46 pm

My advice, you can start building a "social network" of friends and acquaintances while you are waiting for "Mr. Right."

It is tempting to fantasize about a single person who will fill all of our social, intellectual, emotional, sexual needs. But in fact it is very dangerous to depend on one person for all of these things.

Having your own interests and friendships will help you both before and after dating. Before the date, because a) socializing increases you chance of finding a mate; b) demonstrating you are an active, enthusiastic, and confident participant in life is appealing to others, and your special interests will give you something to talk about on your first date. After the date, because a) everybody needs "space" in a relationship, it's good to go to "girls night" and give your man some alone time; b) relationships have their own stress and challenges, it is good to have friends outside of the relationship that you can ask for advice.

You fear being alone and becoming a hoarder, these are normal fears, the good news is, you can work on these fears independent of your relationship status. In fact I will wager that, if you can separate your anxiety about the future from your anxiety about dating in the present, maybe you will feel like dating is "less important" and can have some fun with it. Yes you have your "quirks" (MtF, awkward, nerdy, etc.) but for Mr. Right these will be "turn ons" and not "turn offs" (and in fact you'll discover that Mr. Right will have unexpected quirks of his own, that you can discover, learn about, maybe fall in love with).

Good luck!

kopetski
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Sep 2011, 2:04 pm

wauw Mushroo, that was some really good post you just posted 8O

Exactly what you said.

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 11:28 pm

I'm not good enough either. I wish someone would just invent a female robot.