My issues with the whole "angry virgin" thing

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Aug 2009
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 927
Location: A deep,dark hole in the ground

08 Jun 2011, 10:21 am

I've got some problems with this.

First of all, I've noticed that a lot of people who are involuntarily celibate justify it by saying "Well, I'm better than you because I know I don't have STDs and I've never gotten a woman pregnant. Hyuk hyuk hyuk!" or something along those lines. I've seen the reverse of this too, when some guy complains about being a virgin, and people console them by saying "Well, you could have herpes or something." Duh! That's what condoms are for. Also, I'm a virgin and yet I have this weird rash on my di¢k that looks like genital warts or something, WITHOUT CONTRACTING IT FROM ANYONE. Sex and not getting a disease are not mutually exclusive.

Second of all, this whole "Nice Guy" archetype. People seem to think that Nice Guys are unsuccessful BECAUSE they're Nice Guys and only because of that, like some guy just woke up one morning and for no reason said "Hey, I think I'll be a Nice Guy." and then they failed because of that. Correlation does not necessarily imply causation; it could mean the two correlating patterns have a mutual cause.

Let me illustrate. All of the Nice Guys I've encountered online had one or more of these traits:
- Ugly and/or fat
- Lives with his parents
- Aspie
- No interests or hobbies

You know, people who were already losers to begin with. I think it's more likely they asked some women out and were rejected every time, so they subconsciously adopted the Nice Guy persona as a defense mechanism.

The third problem I have is the advice that moderately successful losers give to other losers who are less successful, namely "Play the numbers game." I actually saw someone on the internet say something along the lines of:

Quote:
The secret to dating is to play the numbers game. Most women will reject you, that's just the reality. Out of every 50 women I ask out, 40 will reject me, I'll get a date with 10, and one of them will be a potential soulmate.

Really? You've asked out over 50 women? That's just... kinda creepy. Seriously, find a hobby or something.

Overall, I'm not really bothered by all this. Mostly I just find it amusing. But I feel it's my duty as an intelligent person to point out stupidity where I see it.


_________________
I don't want a good life. I want an interesting one.


Moog
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,671
Location: Untied Kingdom

08 Jun 2011, 10:25 am

Thanks for sharing.


_________________
Not currently a moderator


TB
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Oct 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 531
Location: netherlands

08 Jun 2011, 10:25 am

Pointing right back at you.



Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,088
Location: Depew NY

08 Jun 2011, 11:31 am

After hearing about your warty pecker I will never eat a pickle again. Are you happy, you have ruined pickles for me.


_________________
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die -Hunter S. Thompson


The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,804
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

08 Jun 2011, 11:57 am

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt77685.html


_________________
Come here to get the Block functionality for Wrongplanet:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=390645


The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,804
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

08 Jun 2011, 12:02 pm

Quote:
The secret to dating is to play the numbers game. Most women will reject you, that's just the reality. Out of every 50 women I ask out, 40 will reject me, I'll get a date with 10, and one of them will be a potential soulmate.


Was that said here by a WP member? Because I can't see how this can even be feasible for people who are truly autistic (or any other issue) or even extremely introvert with introvert lifestyle.

Not denying its effectiveness but, anyone who uses a such approach has zero standards and views girls as objects to shoot and not as individuals, it's like "keep shooting till you hit one", then this one will be his potential soulmate just because it happened that she said yes.


_________________
Come here to get the Block functionality for Wrongplanet:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=390645


Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,299

08 Jun 2011, 12:32 pm

I disagree, as one does. Indeed. Yes. Quite.



Garath
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 21 May 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 44
Location: Denmark

08 Jun 2011, 12:34 pm

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
I've got some problems with this.

Let me illustrate. All of the Nice Guys I've encountered online had one or more of these traits:
- Ugly and/or fat
- Lives with his parents
- Aspie-
No interests or hobbies

You know, people who were already losers to begin with.


Wow, way to talk down to your audience. If in your world aspie = loser why don't you just get the f**k off this website and leave us alone instead of throwing tirades about how people aren't good enough for?


_________________
"Quantum mechanics teaches us that anything can happen at any time for no reason, also eat plenty of oatmeal, and animals never had a war"


LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Aug 2009
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 927
Location: A deep,dark hole in the ground

08 Jun 2011, 3:02 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:
The secret to dating is to play the numbers game. Most women will reject you, that's just the reality. Out of every 50 women I ask out, 40 will reject me, I'll get a date with 10, and one of them will be a potential soulmate.


Was that said here by a WP member? Because I can't see how this can even be feasible for people who are truly autistic (or any other issue) or even extremely introvert with introvert lifestyle.


I think I saw it on Yahoo! Answers. And no, they don't have to be autistic/introverted. They could be ugly basement dwellers, as I said.


_________________
I don't want a good life. I want an interesting one.


hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2010
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 22,023
Location: with bucephalus

08 Jun 2011, 3:58 pm

whaaaaa? can't quite tell who you are so angry at.


_________________
on a break, so if you need assistance please contact another moderator from this list:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt237032.html


Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2006
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,875
Location: Earth

08 Jun 2011, 6:02 pm

A guy on the love-shy forum is well known for his claims that he has asked out 1,000 women and been rejected every time. o.O



LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Aug 2009
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 927
Location: A deep,dark hole in the ground

08 Jun 2011, 6:34 pm

Keeno wrote:
A guy on the love-shy forum is well known for his claims that he has asked out 1,000 women and been rejected every time. o.O


I rather doubt it. 1000? Was he counting? I don't think I've even met that many women.


_________________
I don't want a good life. I want an interesting one.


GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2007
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,986
Location: Den of the ecdysiasts

09 Jun 2011, 12:13 am

A few things. That angry virgin thread was started by me. Take a look at when I posted it, not even this year. Somebody necroed it. The original context was different. It's hard to see now, but that thread was intended to be a parody. At the time I posted that thread there was a bunch of crap in the L & D forum about 'nice guys' or there were threads about success stories. My thread basically made fun of those threads, no one was being nice and no one was talking about success.

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
I've seen the reverse of this too, when some guy complains about being a virgin, and people console them by saying "Well, you could have herpes or something." Duh! That's what condoms are for.

Another thing. I'm surprised no one's caught this yet. Condoms are for preventing pregnancy, they aren't necessarily going to protect you from herpes. You may learn this one the hard way if you lose your virginity.

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
Also, I'm a virgin and yet I have this weird rash on my di¢k that looks like genital warts or something, WITHOUT CONTRACTING IT FROM ANYONE. Sex and not getting a disease are not mutually exclusive.

Uhm, good for you.

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
All of the Nice Guys I've encountered online had one or more of these traits:
- Ugly and/or fat
- Lives with his parents
- Aspie
- No interests or hobbies

Is it even diagnostically possible to be an aspie without any interests?

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
You know, people who were already losers to begin with. I think it's more likely they asked some women out and were rejected every time, so they subconsciously adopted the Nice Guy persona as a defense mechanism.

Going to endear yourself to a lot of the people here. The L word to them is like to N word to... well I think you know where I'm going with this. I hope this doesn't lead to more threads about this 'nice guy' crap. Then I'll have to start an 'angrier virgin thread'.

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
Overall, I'm not really bothered by all this. Mostly I just find it amusing. But I feel it's my duty as an intelligent person to point out stupidity where I see it.

Humble.


_________________
I will befriend the friendless, help the helpless, and defeat... the feetless?


LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Aug 2009
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 927
Location: A deep,dark hole in the ground

09 Jun 2011, 7:54 am

GoatOnFire wrote:
LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
All of the Nice Guys I've encountered online had one or more of these traits:
- Ugly and/or fat
- Lives with his parents
- Aspie
- No interests or hobbies

Is it even diagnostically possible to be an aspie without any interests?


Read my post again. I didn't say all of those traits, just one or more.


_________________
I don't want a good life. I want an interesting one.


Lampost
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jun 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 21

10 Sep 2011, 10:48 am

Moog wrote:
Thanks for sharing.


Hi Jerry, how is tricksession?



hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Nov 2004
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,054
Location: None

10 Sep 2011, 11:55 am

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
I've got some problems with this.
First of all, I've noticed that a lot of people who are involuntarily celibate justify it by saying "Well, I'm better than you because I know I don't have STDs and I've never gotten a woman pregnant. Hyuk hyuk hyuk!" or something along those lines.


I haven't noticed much of that, but I must say those with that attitude are very off putting.

Quote:
I've seen the reverse of this too, when some guy complains about being a virgin, and people console them by saying "Well, you could have herpes or something." Duh! That's what condoms are for. Also, I'm a virgin and yet I have this weird rash on my di¢k that looks like genital warts or something, WITHOUT CONTRACTING IT FROM ANYONE. Sex and not getting a disease are not mutually exclusive.


This is true. Also condoms if not used 100% correctly are like trying to block a brick thrown at you with a plastic bag.

Quote:
Second of all, this whole "Nice Guy" archetype. People seem to think that Nice Guys are unsuccessful BECAUSE they're Nice Guys and only because of that, like some guy just woke up one morning and for no reason said "Hey, I think I'll be a Nice Guy." and then they failed because of that. Correlation does not necessarily imply causation; it could mean the two correlating patterns have a mutual cause.

Let me illustrate. All of the Nice Guys I've encountered online had one or more of these traits:
- Ugly and/or fat
- Lives with his parents
- Aspie
- No interests or hobbies

You know, people who were already losers to begin with. I think it's more likely they asked some women out and were rejected every time, so they subconsciously adopted the Nice Guy persona as a defense mechanism.


This is also true. The fact they get rejected is more likely to do with these compared to whether they're nice or not. And half the time they aren't nice anyway.

Quote:
The third problem I have is the advice that moderately successful losers give to other losers who are less successful, namely "Play the numbers game." I actually saw someone on the internet say something along the lines of:
Quote:
The secret to dating is to play the numbers game. Most women will reject you, that's just the reality. Out of every 50 women I ask out, 40 will reject me, I'll get a date with 10, and one of them will be a potential soulmate.

Really? You've asked out over 50 women? That's just... kinda creepy. Seriously, find a hobby or something.

Overall, I'm not really bothered by all this. Mostly I just find it amusing. But I feel it's my duty as an intelligent person to point out stupidity where I see it.


I don't see asking out 50 women as creepy unless you have no real interest in them, and just want to date anyone. There is some truth to the numbers game, but it's not the only or most efficient way to get anywhere.