Should girls try to make boys laugh?

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

oddness
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Sep 2011, 6:34 am

I have been thinking alot recently about boy/girl relationships and I would appreciate some opinions on my thoughts. If a boy sends a girl messages which contain jokes or cartoons or cool pictures, I understand that they are meant to make the girl smile or laugh as boys are supposed to like girls who laugh at their jokes.

However I thought it was expected that the girl sent back similar stuff in the hopes of making the boy laugh or smile but Im now questioning this theory.

Do boys want girls to try and make them laugh or smile with cool pictures or is it more of a one way thing? If girls arent expected to try and make the boy laugh what are they expected to send in reply to the jokes/cool pictures?

I fear the answer to this might be that girls usually fill the replies with ramblings about how they are feeling and what new gossip theyve heard or what new makeup they have bought, well you get the idea stuff that an aspie girl would never say. So any ideas on how an aspie girl might respond?

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 6:49 am

It really depends on maturity.

Cool smart girls with cool smart friends can pretty much behave any old way as unwritten codes of female appropriate behaviour become almost redundant around clever friends.

Some very smart girls I've known as friends had an amazingly quick and sharp sense of humour, but were often inhibited and quietened :cry: :cry: :cry: by stiff boring people who couldnt handle their wit and intelligence. This is far too common even in todays supposedly modern sexual environment

Or just their own culturally programmed, uber conservative preconceptions of how a girl **should** respond to a boys jokes...

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 7:10 am

If a girl can get a genuine laugh out of me, I'm hers.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 7:21 am

is it me, or are most females not that into making men laugh?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 7:37 am

in response to a joke or card a that a man sends, i would make a simple response, like ''thanks, that made me laugh!'' and in future (not immediately after) if i saw something unrelated that he might find funny i would send it to him. it is very hard to follow a joke with another successful joke when it comes to cards and emails things like that. if you are bantering in person, the funniness builds as each of you carries it on, but it doesn't always work in other media.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 7:38 am

From my experience men like softly spoken feminine women, not jokers.

I love to make people laugh but I've never dated someone I could make laugh.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 7:51 am

You need to find some better men, hale_bopp.

Modest Mouse - The View

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 7:57 am

mds_02 wrote:
You need to find some better men, hale_bopp.

Its the whole "you're fun to hang around in a pub etc but I don't want to date you"

Which is fine, but I hate always having to completely change my personality to be seen as attractive.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 8:20 am

You shouldn't have to. I hope you don't take this as me being weird or trying to hit on you, but you are ridiculously good-looking and have exactly the kind of personality that I (and a lot of other guys) look for.

If you truly are meeting only guys who need you to be someone else in order to find you attractive, then I don't know what to say other than New Zealander's have atrocious taste.

Modest Mouse - The View

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 8:21 am

I think keeping a sense of humor about dating and relationships can sometimes keep you from going crazy, so making each other laugh occasionally is a pretty good idea ...

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 8:31 am

mds_02 wrote:
You shouldn't have to. I hope you don't take this as me being weird or trying to hit on you, but you are ridiculously good-looking and have exactly the kind of personality that I (and a lot of other guys) look for.

If you truly are meeting only guys who need you to be someone else in order to find you attractive, then I don't know what to say other than New Zealander's have atrocious taste.

Well that's very nice you think that. Well I am not skinny, I am a bit over weight in the body department, a size 12-14. And NZ men are horrible abut NZ women, but it's not so much a big deal, I'm not really looking.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 8:46 am

auntblabby wrote:

Not this broad; I make everyone laugh. People can have very different senses of humor, though.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 8:49 am

Not everyone cares about weight. And size 12-14, unless sizes are different there, is not that overweight.

If you say it's no big deal, that you're not looking, then I'll let the subject go. But when you do start looking, remember that you are a real catch just as you are and that a guy you have to change for won't make you happy in the first place.

Wow, that sounded cheesy.

Modest Mouse - The View

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 8:54 am

mv wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Not this broad; I make everyone laugh. People can have very different senses of humor, though.

my late mother could make me laugh, but no other woman seems to have that power. i see female comedians on the tube and none of them make me crack a smile. jay leno is no carson but at least he makes me smile now and then. this is not to belittle female attempts at humor or even your undoubtedly real humor, but that i just seem to lack the right stuff to comprehend it in a visceral way. maybe the thing is, that there are separate male and female styles of humor. just a thought.

Tetra
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2011, 9:57 am

I make my boyfriend laugh all the time. It feels great to make people laugh.

Female comedians don't usually make me laugh either. There are usually more male comedians though.
On QI once it said that women laugh more than men, However they laugh more at men than other women.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 10:07 am

I think the difference between wit being sexy or being a bit repelling is really more on the delivery and context.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin