Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 3:40 am

Zokk wrote:
You ever been out somewhere in public, just minding your own business, when someone, just some random stranger you've never seen before in your life and will probably never see again, just catches your eye? I don't mean glances at you, but that you just instantly notice them; instantly pick them out of the crowd for how they look? And it's not really charisma, though (you're too far away or the setting's not right for that, usually, to pick up on it) it's actual physical beauty/handsomeness.

The trouble is you're putting expectations on these women to be your perfect woman so when you do meet a beautiful woman and find out she has mood swings, different interests, ambitions of goals or that she doesn't meet some Disney standard, you will be shocked. I've found that money and looks aren't an indicator of character, I held my current ex to a high standard and put expectations on her, in a way I made her feel as if she wasn't good enough and compared her to other girls, it was unfair but I've learned my lesson. If you can't accept someone for who they are as a person, don't get into a relationship with them or develop feelings of infatuation because you'll be disappointed if they don't meet your perfect expectations, in other words, let go of expectations. If you date or like someone on looks alone and end up getting burned, it's your own fault.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 4:14 am

Wolfheart wrote:
The trouble is you're putting expectations on these women to be your perfect woman so when you do meet a beautiful woman and find out she has mood swings, different interests, ambitions of goals or that she doesn't meet some Disney standard, you will be shocked.

What? Where did you pull that from? This thread isn't about having ridiculous standards regarding physical beauty; it's about the times you run across someone (someone you have no intention of dating or otherwise getting to know) that makes you just stop and go 'wow' at the fact that they break the mold of 'conventional' attractiveness in some significant way.

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

31 Oct 2011, 12:20 pm

Jacques Lacan theorized that in the mirror stage, our childhood self (similar to the 'id") becomes enamored with the idealized version of our self. Yet, because we cannot meet these expectations, we are left with a gap in between the concept of idealized perfection and our present state. It's within this gap (this awkwardness) that we try to understand the world and that our identity is created. Essentially, we desire to fill this gap and to reach this idealized version of ourselves. Limitation, then, creates our identity. For example, a Christian might strive to be more Christlike, thus creating their identity and how they approach life. Another example would be the hypermasculinity that dominates American culture. The advent of popularity in superheroes, super-soldiers, and James Bond figures are a testament to the hypersmasculine images that many people, especially American males, wish to achieve.

Now, I don't know how much merit Lacan has nowadays but I always thought he had an interesting way of seeing things. Perhaps the people in this thread, including myself, notice something about the person we see that allow us to be attracted at first sight. By analyzing their demeanor and what is familiar to us, we our essentially striving for that idealized mirror image of ourselves.

For me, I think looking at someone's demeanor tells a whole lot more about that person than going on a first date. I'm attracted to a certain kind of flair. Of course, I have to be physically attracted to the person, but at the same time, they don't have to be attractive in societal terms. Rather, they just have a means of complimenting myself.

Also, because of this familiarity, whether it's through our understanding of our parents relationship or through media, we become attracted to others based upon the gaps they fill in our lives. This may or may not be a bad thing. For one, if we are only familiar with dysfunctional and unhealthy relationships, we are more likely to select partners whose demeanor reflects an unhealthy relationship. But no single person is perfect. Thus, when we discover that they are also flawed, it's upon us to decide whether or not to accept this person.

On a similar note, on the topic of mirror images, they did a study in which they found that people tended to select partners whose facial features matched their own. Conventional beauty didn't have so much to do with it as facial features and expressions did. Thus, in an ideal world, it isn't impossible for people to find a partner that THEY are physically attracted to because the others are also more likely to show affection back towards them....meaning beauty may somewhat be relative.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 3:13 pm

Synecdoche wrote:
On a similar note, on the topic of mirror images, they did a study in which they found that people tended to select partners whose facial features matched their own. Conventional beauty didn't have so much to do with it as facial features and expressions did. Thus, in an ideal world, it isn't impossible for people to find a partner that THEY are physically attracted to because the others are also more likely to show affection back towards them....meaning beauty may somewhat be relative.

I've actually noticed this myself; it's been stored in the back of my mind for a while now, I think. Good to know I'm not just projecting or being too much of a narcissist.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 8:58 pm

I don't really experience this. I'm usually too much into my own world to notice other people, unless they're being really loud.