Do you want 2 cure your Autism so........

Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2006, 9:56 am

markaudette wrote:
Like X-Men 3. If there was a cure for being a mutant, would you take it? If there was a cure for being socially bass-acwards, would I take it? Hell yes.

Yeah, also like in X-Men 3 the difference between being Storm and being Rogue, lifestylewise, is pretty damn qualitative.

Quoth
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Oct 2006, 12:39 pm

Nope, not me. Not on your life.
I shudder to think of my world without AS. The only major disadvantages I figure are the social problems, but then again I thrive on weirdness. It was a decision back in highschool. I realised that I could try to play "Mr Normal" but that'd just be a filthy lie. I couldn't be honest to my friends or myself. True, it takes but a few seconds for people to realise that I'm... different, and occationally people don't like that (particularly alpha personalities). Since I'm perfectly confortable with myself and I try to be the best person I can be, people usually realise that I'm a nice guy and that's more than enough for some women. I also love making other's laugh, another nice trait it seems. In short, AS actually seems to attract women in my case... wich is unfortunate, because I'm simply not interested and it makes me seem like one hell of a tease...

But as for the original post-er...

Mate, let us consider the ramifications of your 'cure' or (as I prefer to think of it) 'NT infliction'. I find most of the 'disavantages' of AS only cropps up when it comes to other people. Who's to say that it wouldn't be better a partner with AS? Hmm... there's research looking into how to 'cure' AS, I wonder if there is any being done to cause it. Can you imagine... a world full of aspies?

Back to the point... I can't really give you advice here. Saying she is wrong is just like saying you are wrong because you care. Try to remember that you might be making as much sense to her, as NTs to aspies. She can't help it, so try not to hate her if things go awry. I will, however, say "good luck" and I hope you get what you desire; whether that's social accumen, a cure or her heart.

Respectfully, Quoth.

Post Scriptum~ I wonder if I even remotly made sensible post.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2006, 3:19 pm

Yeah, I don't think anyone should judge anyone on thier decisions. If anything judging someone for liking AS or judging someone for wanting to get rid of it - either way - is p--- poor and shows that a person can't think outside their own range of experience. For those who have AS and love it, I'm happy for you and wouldn't say theres anything wrong with you just that your reward system and overall emotionality toward things are probably wired much differently than my own which I'll respect.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2006, 4:52 pm

Some people's experiences aren't the same as mine. For me, getting pushed away by one person or a few people would be no big deal; getting it from everybody you come in contact with over a lifetime is something different.

One snowflake doesn't weigh much. Get enough of them together and you've got an avalanche that uproots trees and knocks over trains and buildings.

I'd be glad to let somebody else protect the future of humanity or whatever the hell it is I'm doing, being forgotten before I'm dead.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2006, 5:03 pm

I think most of us ASpic males go through this during the teenage/twenties. Women are turned off, or worse, amused by your 'difference'. You want to fit in, and get the girls like the 'cool guys'. But we can't take a pill, and acting turns you inside-out eventually. I remember a girl in my High School, who was cute, interesting, and a slut. I asked her why she never got sexually interested in me, and she said I was "too nice." I almost went home and shot myself. Be ASpic, and be proud. (T-sirts available soon.) Girls like a guy with a talent, any talent. Also girls like a guy who makes them laugh.

Follow Temple Grandin's example and work with the gifts you have. Sad to say she's never had any guy-pals, but she's more High Functioning Autistic than ASpic.

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 5:34 am

If only girls could except us for who we are, we wouldnt be posting all this about it in this topic. I agree if the girl don't like you for having AS she isn't worth it.

JimmyNeurtonRules
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2007, 1:37 pm

Vinzer wrote:
subatai_baadur wrote:
Coward.

Αsshole.

Hey no flame wars!

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2007, 2:25 pm

I wouldn't even think that far. If she thinks I'm a ret*d then f**k her (the "f**k you" sense, not the "sexual intercourse" sense). If you have a prejudice against somebody because of their autism then you can go to hell, you are just as racist as that person that sets crosses on fire and puts on the ghost outfit. I think the whole idea of curing autism is an insult to begin with. AS is part of who I am, it's nothing more than an attribute, like having blue eyes or blond hair. There are disadvantages to having AS but there are benefits as well. I may not be a very good at socializing but I can do some pretty amazing stuff that normal people could never dream of doing.

pooftis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2007, 2:31 pm

There isn’t anything wrong with you to need to be “cured”. Being different isn’t something that requires you to change. There are billions of people in the world, that one doesn’t seem to be the right one for you, so find someone else.
I personally take all talk of a “cure” very offensively. I’m an aspie, as is my husband and our son and I like us just how we are. I wouldn’t want to “cure” myself of being who I am nor would I want to “cure” my two favorite people of being the amazing, quirky, dorky guys that they are.

GenericBrandUserName
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2007, 4:10 pm

No. It's simple: if they can't accept you for you, then they're not worth your time. I've had the same thing happen to me, and worse. I've had women trying to change and 'cure' me, like I was their damn Barbie doll when they were younger. I don't tolerate it. They can either like me for me or f**k themselves and die.

In short, the ones who'll accept you for you are the ones you really need to be around. Everyone else who can't can bugger off. :)

Aspergian89
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jan 2007, 9:55 pm

I dont think its right for some of u guys to call him names hes just a little confused. but yea shes not worth it you are what you are and if she thinks ur ret*d f**k her. one word acception

quiet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2007, 10:48 pm

One-Winged-Angel wrote:
If anyone thinks you're ret*d because of AS, it means they're a judgemental idiot, and you should stop talking to them. They aren't worth your time.

Agreed.

Subterraneus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jan 2007, 12:20 pm

For myself I don't wanna get rid of it because I don't want my girlfriend to think I'm a ret*d. She cares about me, she's there for me, she understands how to deal with my aspergers perfectly, she is wonderful. But I wish I could get rid of (I wouldn't use the word cure) it so people didn't think of her as that girl who's going out with a ret*d guy. I can't change that some people are as*holes, and I know that she cares more about me than some people's opinions, but I just want everyone to think she's as great as she is, and not look down on her.

Of course, there are times that I wouldn't give up my aspergers for anything :-\

NeoPlatonist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2007, 1:27 pm

For me, any kind of complete "cure" would mean a drastic change in my personality. Say someone finds a way to fix the physiological characteristics in my body/brain/blood chemistry that are the original cause of my AS. I would say that a cure wouldn't change much due to 20 years of my mind and personality growing and adapting around AS. If I were "cured" then I would probably flunk out of college because all of my thought processes and study habits are optimized work around the weaknesses in my mind and take full advantage of the strengths; change the way my mind works and I will have to relearn how to think. No thanks! I don't think there will ever be a time when one of us walks in a room as ourselves and walks out again as the Fonz.

I don't think that I've ever been lonelier than I am right now. I have many acquaintances here in school but no close friends. Don't even ask about girlfriends. I'm really inclined to go with the idea of dating other people with AS, unfortunately I don't know anyone else with AS in real life. Any girl I date would have to interest me intellectually. Being very well read is probably the biggest turn on for me. Looking great in a bikini is just a really nice bonus. The thing is, most of the people I know are just pretty shallow. So not only do I make awkwardness into a art form, I also have very high standards. So I am prepared for a long wait. Just hang in there! :wink:

Riverdale
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2007, 5:22 pm

Please don't think of yourself as a ret*d! I was just in a relationship with a man who probably has AS (I don't), and I thought that he was one of the most wonderful people that I had ever met. If he hadn't broken up with me, I would still be with him. The fact that he probably is autistic made him the person that he is, and I didn't hold that against him. You are going to find someone who loves you for who you are. Maybe that doesn't seem true now, but you will.

Elsie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jan 2007, 9:31 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
Eric_C wrote:
Do You Know What You And Everyone's Really Got?????????! !! !

It's the brain of Albert Einstein!! !! !!

I'm not joking, I'm serious!

Albert Einstein had Aspergers when he was five.

You should be proud of what God gave you. :D

not all members here are aspies.
At least aspies can compensate their problems with a very high intelligence and savant skills .

but what abt who have HFA or LFA??

JimmyNeurtonRules ....you are lucky having asperger ...but it doesn't make you coward if you want to be cured .....cause any type of autism can be a curse sometimes and no one can denies this .

not all aspies have very high intelligence or are savant.
i'm an aspie, and i'm not much above average intelligence.
and to reverse this...i'm a girl and i would love for my aspeger's to be gone so i can have the social/life skills to live a functioning lifestyle where i would even have the chance to meet a guy.
or even make a friend......and keep it.