Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

JosefK
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Mar 2012, 7:30 pm

I would like to enlist fellow WP-members about a situation I encountered this afternoon. I had just attended a lecture and afterwards I waited outside, because a friend of mine was still chatting with his girlfriend. I stood alone, and suddenly a girl I had seen once before asked me, out of the blue:

She: Hello, what is your name?
Me: My name is ..., what's yours?
She: My name is ....Would you like to meet up for drinks sometime?
Me (stupefied):Yes, sure, shall we exchange our phone numbers?
She: Sure, my number is ......
Me: Ok, I've written it down, my number is ........
Then we stood there, both a little awkward and shy.
Me: Ok, I'll send you a message, I'll see you around.
She: Ok, have a nice day!

This has never happened to me before, so I'm a bit confused. She is pretty attractive and sweetlooking, but I've only once talked to her briefly, when we had to copy some papers for an upcoming lecture. I made one funny comment about William S. Burrough's The Naked Lunch, that was all we've ever said to each other until this afternoon. I really do not get why she asked me to have a drink, and maybe I am overreacting at the moment, but I do not consider myself to be an alpha male or someone who exudes confidence and/or charisma. I do not really have much confidence. In fact, I'm terribly shy, especially concerning the other sex. I've asked someone about her and she said that she was very shy too, but still I had no clue why she asked me out, out of the blue.

Anyway, I wanted to ask you, fellow WP-members, for advice. What should I do and what shouldn't I do? Is it OK to tell her about my Autism-diagnosis on the first date (or would that seem like I was making up excuses for awkward behaviour)? Where should I take her? Upon reading this, it seems like a childish question, but this whole dating thing is entirely new to me and I think (according to our taste in literature and music) we might be a good match.

Any help would be useful, I hope my long story is clear and does not bore you ;)

xx Josef K

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 7:38 pm

Maybe you're attractive, or she likes your awkwardness or something.

TELL HER TELL HER TELL HER about the Autism diagnosis! This will make things so much easier later on. If you think she'll think you're making excuses if you tell her on the first date, just wait and see how she'd feel if you didn't tell her until after you'd made some terrible mistake! (she'd probably be really mad, in case you're wondering...)
Other than that, I have no idea what to tell you other than to say that I usually make more friends for longer if I just focus on not hurting people's feelings and don't worry so much about toning down my quirky personality (I don't worry about hiding my interests or political beliefs or place on the LGBT spectrum, etc.). I'm not sure how well this translates to dating, since I've had atypical relationships, but that's the best I know.

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2012, 8:44 pm

diniesaur wrote:
Maybe you're attractive, or she likes your awkwardness or something.

TELL HER TELL HER TELL HER about the Autism diagnosis! This will make things so much easier later on. If you think she'll think you're making excuses if you tell her on the first date, just wait and see how she'd feel if you didn't tell her until after you'd made some terrible mistake! (she'd probably be really mad, in case you're wondering...)
Other than that, I have no idea what to tell you other than to say that I usually make more friends for longer if I just focus on not hurting people's feelings and don't worry so much about toning down my quirky personality (I don't worry about hiding my interests or political beliefs or place on the LGBT spectrum, etc.). I'm not sure how well this translates to dating, since I've had atypical relationships, but that's the best I know.

I'd wait until the second date to make sure you really like her but I agree. If she understands that you do things she doesn't understand because of how your brain is wired - and not just to annoy her- and she accepts you anyway then she's a keeper. If she doesn't she's probably too shallow for things to work out. Either way it's experience you probably need.

If you don't tell her about it she will very likely sense you're keeping something from her.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 8:50 pm

JosefK wrote:
I would like to enlist fellow WP-members about a situation I encountered this afternoon. I had just attended a lecture and afterwards I waited outside, because a friend of mine was still chatting with his girlfriend. I stood alone, and suddenly a girl I had seen once before asked me, out of the blue:

This has never happened to me before, so I'm a bit confused. She is pretty attractive and sweetlooking, but I've only once talked to her briefly, when we had to copy some papers for an upcoming lecture. I made one funny comment about William S. Burrough's The Naked Lunch, that was all we've ever said to each other until this afternoon. I really do not get why she asked me to have a drink, and maybe I am overreacting at the moment, but I do not consider myself to be an alpha male or someone who exudes confidence and/or charisma. I do not really have much confidence. In fact, I'm terribly shy, especially concerning the other sex. I've asked someone about her and she said that she was very shy too, but still I had no clue why she asked me out, out of the blue.

Anyway, I wanted to ask you, fellow WP-members, for advice. What should I do and what shouldn't I do? Is it OK to tell her about my Autism-diagnosis on the first date (or would that seem like I was making up excuses for awkward behaviour)? Where should I take her? Upon reading this, it seems like a childish question, but this whole dating thing is entirely new to me and I think (according to our taste in literature and music) we might be a good match.

Any help would be useful, I hope my long story is clear and does not bore you ;)

xx Josef K

Don't mention the autism.

Luska
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2012, 8:53 pm

I dont know about telling her about the autism diagnosis. If you go for a long term relationship you have to time it right because it scares even the nicest people.

steveSV
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Mar 2012, 9:15 pm

Subotai wrote:
JosefK wrote:

xx Josef K

Don't mention the autism.

What he said.
You barely know her, don't tell her stuff that deep. It's like telling her the sh***y car you have was your dead grandmothers. From what I get so far, your probably going to do something awkward. Just tell her your awkward, that'll explain everything (hopefully).

AS_Citizen_43275-B
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Mar 2012, 9:41 pm

Personally, out of my own experience, don't reveal your autism if she appears to be the average NT woman. If she's nerdy/geeky, quirky, reserved/shy, or awkward... maybe. You would know best.

Is also depends on what you value. Is it your priority to be accepted as an Aspie? Or is it your priority to experience the sensual thrills of the opposite sex (holding hands, kissing, etc.)?

I once saw a shirt that stated, "Either you want me to accept you, or like you". Think about it; judge the situation and your values.

Get to know her a bit before going out with her, through texting or e-mails, or else your first date can go terribly bad.

I recommend you watch dating videos, like New York Dating Coach videos on eHow.com.

If you need a few more pointers, PM me...

Good luck, bro.

JosefK
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Mar 2012, 2:14 am

Wow, thanks for all the replies, it is very helpful to me. However, I do not really understand SteveSv's comment 'From what I get so far, your probably going to do something awkward. Just tell her your awkward, that'll explain everything (hopefully).' Could you (Steve or someone else) clarify that statement? If I interpret it correctly, telling her I'm a bit awkward and new to the whole dating thing is OK?

xx Josef K