Difference between dating and hanging out?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 8:23 pm

Hello,
I was at this one youth group and homeschooling got brought up. Since I was homeschooled I mentioned I was. This chick asked if I was and I said yeah. So she said we should hang out, which she did. Long story short, she sends me her phone number, then since we were meeting at her place, her address. She is 2 1/2 years younger than me , I am 17 (going to be 18 in August) and she is 15. (Btw, we went to lunch and hung out at the park). She said she wanted to hang out some more some time. So I guess my question is, was she asking me out, or more just as a friendship? Thanks

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 8:47 pm

Maybe she wants your friendship to develop into something deeper but for now best not to get ahead of yourself :) Right now you are just hanging out. Continue to hang out with her if this is something you are enjoying as much as she is. I can't comment on the age thing as the gap is marginal but it does depend which country you are in and what you guys are doing (lunch is fine lol).

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 8:57 pm

That was what I was thinking. When she asked she seemed kind of nervous. And before I kind of overheard her talking with someone about dating someone that was older than her (at the time I thought nothing of it). So I don't kno. I am kind of taking it slow since there is a noticeable age difference (me being 18 pretty soon and her being 15 until feb 16 of next year.)

johansen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2012, 1:08 am

common sense may be required..

other than that the age gap is only a legal problem, not a social one.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 1:18 am

Not much in common.
Dating is for finding the age of an artifact or fossil/bone.

To hang out you'd just need to suspend from a tree....outdoor.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 17 May 2012, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 3:27 am

Hanging out means doing fun stuff together with someone else with little/no pressure on either party.
Most peoples definition of dating requires one person to ask the other one on a date and the other person to accept.

If there was no mention of the word date/something similar(we should have coffee sometime just the two of us/similar stuff) assume that its just a hangout just to be safe.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 9:36 pm

It's kind of a thin line, in my opinion. It always felt like I was hanging out, but there was affection (touching, holding hands, kissing). That was the difference. I wouldn't be affectionate with someone I was only friends with.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 10:12 pm

This is tricky... I don't think there's enough information for me to give a yes/no answer. Try to be alert for any possible hints or unsual behavior on her part. If you notice something you're not sure what to make of, you could post it here.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 12:39 am

Kinme wrote:
It's kind of a thin line, in my opinion. It always felt like I was hanging out, but there was affection (touching, holding hands, kissing). That was the difference. I wouldn't be affectionate with someone I was only friends with.

^ This is pretty much how I see it too.

HK416N
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2012, 1:03 am

steady there.. shes young.. is np but better careful.. be good friend to her and who knows what happen..
what is ur motive.. want friends or more from your end?

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 1:07 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Not much in common.
Dating is for finding the age of an artifact or fossil/bone.

To hang out you'd just need to suspend from a tree....outdoor.

Darn, now I know why the latter method didn't work.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 10:24 am

Have you ever heard of statutory rape? Do you realize that if you have sex with this girl and even if she consents, you can still be convicted and put in jail?! You'll be 18 in 3 months!! !! and she's 2 and 1/2 years younger than you. Have you even seen proof of her age? What if she's lying?! Do yourself a favor. Hang out or whatever with females that are 16 or older. This is a disaster waiting to happen. I won't go into detail. Talk to your parents or research this topic yourself. You'll be sorry if you don't take this warning! Young girls do crazy things - especially with the worldly unwise. Then after the shame hits them, the cops come knocking on your door. 8O

Last edited by RightGalaxy on 22 May 2012, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 10:27 am

RightGalaxy wrote:
Have you ever heard of statutory rape? You're 17 and she's 2 and 1/2 years younger than you. So, she's 14 1/2!! Do yourself a favor. Hang out or whatever with females that are 16 or older. This is a disaster waiting to happen. I won't go into detail. Talk to your parents or research this topic yourself.

The OP said she was 15 (OP could be 17 1/2 ya know :) ). And it's indeed a grey area but also it depends on the laws of a country and what exactly happens between them.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 10:35 am

JanuaryMan wrote:
RightGalaxy wrote:
Have you ever heard of statutory rape? You're 17 and she's 2 and 1/2 years younger than you. So, she's 14 1/2!! Do yourself a favor. Hang out or whatever with females that are 16 or older. This is a disaster waiting to happen. I won't go into detail. Talk to your parents or research this topic yourself.

The OP said she was 15 (OP could be 17 1/2 ya know :) ). And it's indeed a grey area but also it depends on the laws of a country and what exactly happens between them.

yep, where im from 14 is legal.

but thats besides the point, personally i wouldnt take it as a date until/unless she made it clear. Maybe after enough getting to know each other and no definite yes on the dating id ask her out formally

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 10:36 am

JanuaryMan wrote:
RightGalaxy wrote:

oh boy - you again!! - here we go!! :lol: When it's grey, stay away!! !! !! !! When in doubt, do without!

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 10:40 am

Don't any of the guys on this site have ANY sense in their heads besides immediate gratification?! No wonder why you get beat up on so much...DUMB!! !! !! No street sense. :x