NTs, what did you see in your Aspie partners?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 3:02 pm

Although I'm not NT, I'm not definitely an aspie either, although I believe I probably am. Anyway, him indoors is an aspie. (the boyfriend)

These are some of the things I like about him:

He makes me laugh, a lot
He's intelligent
He's compassionate
Social justice matters to him
He questions conventional norms
He's not afraid to be himself
He sticks up for the vulnerable, but doesn't mollycoddle
He's easygoing. No drama, no arguments
He's not selfish
He's kind and gentle
He's generous (I don't mean financially, but in other ways)
He still surprises me
He doesn't expect me to be anything but myself, but also encourages me to improve my situation

There's lots more, but he might read this, and I don't want him to get a big(ger) head. :-P

LadybugS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2012, 4:29 pm

I'm the NT, my boyfriend is autistic.

First of all, I think he's absolutely gorgeous and he takes my breath away. Every single time I look at his bright blue eyes, or see his amazing smile, or hear his cute laugh, I think, "Wow, I am the luckiest girl in the world." :heart:

As far as his personality goes, he is smart but not arrogant - he knows so much more than I do, but he's never made me feel stupid about it and he's always willing to help me learn. He's incredibly sweet and sensitive to my moods & feelings, too. He's a gentle man - the first time I met him, I looked into his eyes and just instantly felt like this person would not hurt me.

He's a genuine friend to me and I feel like I can tell him anything. He is not romantic in the typical sense, the fairy tale movie kind of romance that other girls might like, but the little, meaningful things he says and does lets me know that he truly cares about me, and it just makes me melt inside. And he is so funny - my mood always perks up when I can see him, even if I've had the worst day ever. He's very unique and I love that - he's not afraid to be himself, even if some people don't "get it", and I think that's awesome. He's teaching me to just let my hair down and be myself, as well! And I admire his strength - he's gone through a lot in his life and has somehow managed to overcome all of it and grow into the person he is today. He's an inspiration to me.

I like his brutal honesty, actually - he doesn't give off any airs. If I ask him a question he will tell me the truth, even if it might upset me. He doesn't want to upset me, but he won't lie to me. There have been times when the things we've talked about did upset me, a lot, but later once I calmed down I deeply appreciated his honesty. He's the one person in the world that I know will tell me the truth and I don't ever question that.

He'll read this later so... I love you! I'm proud to be your girl! :) Xo

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough... God knows we're worth it"

Esther
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 4:48 pm

Wolfheart wrote:
Esther wrote:
My lover is a lot of things; mostly he's hot. ;)

The hot reply is quite subjective and attraction is sometimes relative as opposed to being universal, it doesn't really tell us much in terms of traits that stand out.

It seems like the biggest factor and reason that women like men on the spectrum is because they are naive.

Yes, hotness is subjective. My boyfriend is hot to me. I was also being facetious, hence the ;). However, I would hope that the attraction to each other exists (and I would argue that this should be universal in all romantic relationships), as it would otherwise, for lack of a better word, blow.

And no, naiveté doesn't appeal to me. I don't want to be my boyfriend's mother.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 7:38 pm

Amelie100 wrote:
Yes, maybe it is related to naivity. He is often childish and I appreciate that.
I guess I mainly like that he is a mixture of supermacho and soft. I never met a man who talked so frankly about feelings but at the same time, his male personality attributes are quite strongly developped.
I like his humour, his creative use of language, his independency in thinking, not caring what others think about him, the passion for his interests, how consequently he works to reach his goals, his honesty. And his body - he is a successful triathlete. Success is sexy.

I've been with several spectrumish males, and I totally get where you're coming from.
The bullheadedness and strength is there, but then in private moments it dissolves away and you're left with this vulnerable, almost child-like person whom you just want to hold and reassure (maybe I'm projecting)....

Doris Day said this of Clark Gable:
"He was as masculine as any man I've ever known and as much a little boy as a grown man could be--it was this combination that had such a devastating effect on women."

to his Interest."

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 7:40 pm

LadybugS wrote:
First of all, I think he's absolutely gorgeous and he takes my breath away. Every single time I look at his bright blue eyes, or see his amazing smile, or hear his cute laugh, I think, "Wow, I am the luckiest girl in the world." :heart:

My beau has these enormous blue eyes and a jutting "hero chin", and sometimes I look at him and am stupefied that THAT is with ME. :oops:

to his Interest."

BrenJB
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jul 2012, 9:18 pm

Wolfheart wrote:
Esther wrote:
My lover is a lot of things; mostly he's hot. ;)

The hot reply is quite subjective and attraction is sometimes relative as opposed to being universal, it doesn't really tell us much in terms of traits that stand out.

It seems like the biggest factor and reason that women like men on the spectrum is because they are naive.

I think you have a very valid point. My Aspie bf is very attractive but I think I found him especially attractive because he was quiet and not aggressive. Aggressive guys scare me. He was also funny, smart and was patient with me because I was only 15 when we started dating and I take everything SLOWLY. I don't just jump into anything. It took me a couple of months or more of dating before I would let him give me a peck on the lips. Not because I wasn't attracted to him but because I was just afraid. He sometimes appears to be Naive but he is smart and has a lot of knowledge. We just have great chemistry as well.

BrenJB
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jul 2012, 9:41 pm

LadybugS wrote:
I'm the NT, my boyfriend is autistic.

As far as his personality goes, he is smart but not arrogant - he knows so much more than I do, but he's never made me feel stupid about it and he's always willing to help me learn. He's incredibly sweet and sensitive to my moods & feelings, too. He's a gentle man - the first time I met him, I looked into his eyes and just instantly felt like this person would not hurt me.

He's a genuine friend to me and I feel like I can tell him anything. He is not romantic in the typical sense, the fairy tale movie kind of romance that other girls might like, but the little, meaningful things he says and does lets me know that he truly cares about me, and it just makes me melt inside. And he is so funny - my mood always perks up when I can see him, even if I've had the worst day ever. He's very unique and I love that - he's not afraid to be himself, even if some people don't "get it", and I think that's awesome. He's teaching me to just let my hair down and be myself, as well! And I admire his strength - he's gone through a lot in his life and has somehow managed to overcome all of it and grow into the person he is today. He's an inspiration to me.

I love this! So eloquently written and filled with love! :')
I like his brutal honesty, actually - he doesn't give off any airs. If I ask him a question he will tell me the truth, even if it might upset me. He doesn't want to upset me, but he won't lie to me. There have been times when the things we've talked about did upset me, a lot, but later once I calmed down I deeply appreciated his honesty. He's the one person in the world that I know will tell me the truth and I don't ever question that.

He'll read this later so... I love you! I'm proud to be your girl! :) Xo

Odessa
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jul 2012, 2:02 am

Honesty definitely is appealing even when it means that no flattering little white lies. But honesty and fidelity. Big plus is also lack of all manipulation and games.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 2:13 am

Odessa wrote:
Honesty definitely is appealing even when it means that no flattering little white lies. But honesty and fidelity. Big plus is also lack of all manipulation and games.

That's me all over! Now send me a nice prospect! :D

Better be quick before we start hearing choruses of, "Matchmaker, matchmaker........."

Peahen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2012, 2:42 am

(26 yr old NT in 1 year relationship with HIGHLY suspected Aspie, 29 yr male, working on diagnosis)

We met on okcupid. I messaged him because he was 1: REALLY handsome and 2: his profile wasn't pretentious. I live in Seattle, where all the guys feel like they have to be "so cool" and try to impress us with their guitar skills and what they like to read, and they try to act all macho and indifferent. When we met for our first date, I noticed right away that my guy wasn't like that at all. He was kind of shy and goofy. I could tell he was nervous and said "the wrong" things at times, but I thought it was sweet---I thought that HE thought I was so pretty that it made him nervous, and I was flattered. We spent the entire night together, a night I will never forget, and I have been smitten with him since. By the time I realized his nervousness and his inability to express his feelings verbally was part of something else---and not, in fact, because I was so pretty---it was too late. I was in love with him! Sure, it bothers me sometimes that I have to verbally ask for affection, or that he never expresses his happiness with me by doing NT boyfriend things (buying flowers, coming up with date plans, etc), I am always able to see his love in other ways. In the ways he shares his interests with me, mostly, and tells me things he doesn't share with others. He's always respectful and tries so hard to make me happy. I love SO much!

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 2:01 pm

BlueMax wrote:
Odessa wrote:

That's me all over! Now send me a nice prospect! :D

Better be quick before we start hearing choruses of, "Matchmaker, matchmaker........."

I'm an Aspie guy dating an NT female, from what she's told me that's what she likes most about me. She once said she wondered if it were physically possible for me to tell a lie. Which is untrue, I can lie if I want to, but I've never really seen the point. If you lie you have to maintain the lie or risk getting caught, that takes way to much time and effort on my part. Of course this philosophy has made me a bit blunt and tactless, but she said she'd take lack of tact over lack of honesty any day. Of course, she's also the same way. It took me a while to fully trust her because of some nasty past relationships, but now I know that the feelings she shows to me are her true feelings, and not just a facade she puts on to keep me around like my evil ex.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

tarantella
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Jul 2012, 11:01 am

I'm an NT woman married to a guy who thought he might be Aspie when we met - I thought he was too, but after all these years together I actually don't think he is. He definitely has some traits, though. (I suspect he had picked up more Aspie-type behaviour from living with his father, who I'm almost certain *is* on the spectrum. I think he's changed a bit since being around NTs all the time! And possibly I have changed too, handling his traits better than I used to.)

Anyway, here's what I first liked about him when we got serious:

He didn't BS, and he didn't go in for macho nonsense - he just was who he was, long hair, mad beard, nerdy ways and all. I loved that. Still do.

He was ferociously intelligent, especially in areas like mathematics where I have to work my behind off to do more than just get by. I have massive respect for his abilities. But he's never made me feel stupid, and has equal respect for my talents, which are more centred on art and languages. He checks my tax return, and I check his reports for grammar and typos. :lol:

He was incredibly open-minded and just got on with people whoever they were. He didn't judge, or try to get one-up on anyone. He didn't always understand people, but he'd accept that he didn't understand and give them the benefit of the doubt rather than jump to nasty conclusions. He just didn't have a cruel bone in his body.

And he was so kind and considerate. Not in a fawning, slavish sort of way, and never with the slightest expectation that you would give him something in return - but he'd spontaneously offer to drive three hundred miles to help you out, just because he could see it would be useful and he genuinely didn't mind giving his time.

It helps that our interests mesh in a few key areas, and that we're otherwise both happy to do our own thing rather than try to change the other person. We work really well as a couple, and now as parents too. Also, he has a great bum. :D

LadybugS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2012, 8:21 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:

My beau has these enormous blue eyes and a jutting "hero chin", and sometimes I look at him and am stupefied that THAT is with ME. :oops:

Yep! I can so relate! It's exactly how I feel whenever I look at my own boyfriend. :)

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough... God knows we're worth it"