Page 4 of 16 [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 1:44 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
None of those names are inherently-related to the sex of the offender. Is this really that difficult of a concept?

2-3 times tonight you couldn't help but take digs at my intelligence, to imply that because I disagree with you I must be "unable to understand basic concepts or name-calling or psychology" - even after I apologized for my part of thread derailment.

Further conversation would be futile.

The examples you cited had nothing to do with sexist language,
use of which (such as in the OP) limiting one's dating prospects being my point.

It wasn't a dig at your intelligence,
but a genuine concern that you didn't understand my words despite quoting them.

Uh... I've heard of men being called b*****s, and nobody calls a woman an as*hole.

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 1:46 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:
No one "deserves" to be hurt back, but it is only human to be hurt and think of hurtful things once harm has been done unto yourself. You can't go into peoples' minds and purge those feelings in the name of one gender or the other under the guise of equality. Let people be mad, let people vent within reason. Besides, you're one to talk. This has now been blown out of realistic proportion.

On top of that, all those words are insults onto genders not just the B word. By your own argument none of them should be used.

Well, I never claimed that it was unnatural (quite the opposite, actually), only that it being natural is not a good excuse, because we do not live in nature, we live in culture. And of course I cannot purge those thoughts, I have them, you have them, almost anybody has them, but I can voice my oppinion about it and point out if I find certain behaviour acceptable or not. What you make of this is none of my concern. Having feelings is something different than acting according to them. And that this isn't just my oppinion but that of most reasonable people is quite easy to prove: There's laws. If I always acted out how I felt, I'd be in jail, and most anybody would be. Lastly, I always thought I was a rather polite contributor on these forums, and I cannot recall an instance where I insulted anyone because of their gender or things like that. I know I tend to be misunderstood (I am no english native speaker, mind you), but I'd be glad if you pointed out the things to me that in your oppinion are in contrast to what I've said. I am perfectly aware that I am quite inept when it comes to certain emotions, but I am not trying to make excuses for it - that's why I am asking for help. No bad feelings or anything, I'm just curious if I come over different to what I've thought.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 2:02 pm

blah blah blah, offended feminists, blah blah

DogsWithoutHorses
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 2:30 pm

woah, how did whether or not something is appealing/attractive turn into whether or not something is justified

running around calling ex's/ other women b*tches or other slurs isn't going to make the honeys fall at your feet, but hey, the important thing is to not let the meanie feminists ruin your privilegey fun times

(actual slurs =/= all insults or all "bad words", they usually refer to a minority or marginalized group)

If your success is defined as being well adjusted to injustice and well adapted to indifference, then we don?t want successful leaders. We want great leaders- who are unbought, unbound, unafraid, and unintimidated to tell the truth.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 2:39 pm

DogsWithoutHorses wrote:
running around calling ex's/ other women b*tches or other slurs isn't going to make the honeys fall at your feet

it sure won't :lol: some men are dicks and some women are b*****s, though. Such is life.

OP, if you're still with us mistakes happen and it's easy to get caught up in an idea of a person rather than the person themselves. I prefer to know a person before I jump into the dating game. Call it risk assessment.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 2:43 pm

DerStadtschutz wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Men who refer to women as "b*tches" are probably not going to be at the top of most women's to-do lists.

Any woman who acts as the OP described deserves to be referred to as a b***h. That doesn't mean he refers to all women as b*****s...

Ah, well...as long as he's only misogynist toward INDIVIDUAL women...shouldn't you be in the other thread defending your idea that pay inequity is because women are lazy gossips?

to his Interest."

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 2:49 pm

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 2:52 pm

Looks like I struck a nerve.

to his Interest."

meems
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 3:10 pm

ValentineWiggin was repeatedly referred to as an assh*le in my unwanted attention thread... and then the one person called out for using the term was called out after referring to men who bother her in public as being assh*les. It didn't strike me as particularly sexist in either case but it only seemed appropriate in the latter case.

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

14 Oct 2012, 3:22 pm

ValentineWiggin, can I ask you a question?
This is not a trick question or an accusation.

When you're in private conversation with your female friends,
and one of them refers to a man they know a "dick" or "bastard" or "royal prick",
do you interrupt them to say, "that's derogatory language and
you are treating those men in an unfairly sexist way." ?

I'm a man and I don't take any offense to
sexist language aimed at men like that.
Just because the targets of their derision happen to
share the same Y-shaped chromosome as me
doesn't mean I interpret it as a personal attack on me
OR as a sexist attack against all men.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 3:35 pm

Fatal-Noogie wrote:
ValentineWiggin, can I ask you a question?
This is not a trick question or an accusation.

When you're in private conversation with your female friends,
and one of them refers to a man they know a "dick" or "bastard" or "royal prick",
do you interrupt them to say, "that's derogatory language and
you are treating those men in an unfairly sexist way." ?

I'm a man and I don't take any offense to
sexist language aimed at men like that.
Just because the targets of their derision happen to
share the same Y-shaped chromosome as me
doesn't mean I interpret it as a personal attack on me
OR as a sexist attack against all men.

I don't (and wouldn't) have female friends who would say things like that,
but I would take offense at "dick" or "royal prick".

As I've said, sexism toward the individual is hardly more defensible than sexism toward the group- groups are comprised of individuals, and if individual men can be crudely referred to by their sex as if it's relevant to their actions as individuals, I'm not sure why rationally this wouldn't apply to the group as a whole. Same goes for women: I don't particularly care if it HAPPENED to be that another woman was called something sexist because she dared to do something a man disagreed with- I have no idea why I should assume such a man would make an exception should I, another woman, do the same thing.

I'm still interested in my longstanding query as to why it's so difficult to condemn sexism against both the individual and the group, as well as why sexism of one kind is ascribed to someone who points out another kind.

to his Interest."

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 4:05 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
None of those names are inherently-related to the sex of the offender. Is this really that difficult of a concept?

2-3 times tonight you couldn't help but take digs at my intelligence, to imply that because I disagree with you I must be "unable to understand basic concepts or name-calling or psychology" - even after I apologized for my part of thread derailment.

Further conversation would be futile.

The examples you cited had nothing to do with sexist language,
use of which (such as in the OP) limiting one's dating prospects being my point.

It wasn't a dig at your intelligence,
but a genuine concern that you didn't understand my words despite quoting them.

What if a jerk guy is called dog (the male naming of the Canis lupus familiaris), would that be a sexist offence?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 4:07 pm

Quote:

See? I've told you earlier that you don't interact with the outside world too often, you clearly live in your own bubble.

The word "Dick" is also used for a jerk guy in Arabic.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 4:52 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:

See? I've told you earlier that you don't interact with the outside world too often, you clearly live in your own bubble.

The word "Dick" is also used for a jerk guy in Arabic.

And I've told you earlier that you don't read properly and you like to proclaim your personal opinions about the way the world works as the way the world objectively-works. :)

Not sure how you got "I live in a bubble" from MY FRIENDS DON'T TALK LIKE THAT, AND I'D DITCH THEM IF THEY DID.

But let's go ahead and say I live in a bubble so I can call Argumentum ad Populum and we can be done with that line of hilarity.

So, again, is there any NON-fallacious reason why it's so hard to condemn men calling women "b*tches"? (Hint: "Lotsa people say sexist sh*t" isn't one.)

to his Interest."

Palakol
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Oct 2012, 4:58 pm

Magnus_Rex wrote:
I was actually refering to the real meaning of the word "b***h", but your butthurt reaction made it a lot funnier than I meant it to be. Thank you! :D

God, you people need to be less offended. It is very annoying. :roll:

P.S.: Regardless of the rudeness of my post, I hope you do not take this personally. I have no interest in making enemies over the internet. Or in continuing this discussion. therefore, I will stop replying now and go back to reading DC Comics' Flashpoint.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 9:39 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
DerStadtschutz wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Men who refer to women as "b*tches" are probably not going to be at the top of most women's to-do lists.

Any woman who acts as the OP described deserves to be referred to as a b***h. That doesn't mean he refers to all women as b*****s...

Ah, well...as long as he's only misogynist toward INDIVIDUAL women...shouldn't you be in the other thread defending your idea that pay inequity is because women are lazy gossips?

Shouldn't you be somewhere else, learning how to read? That wasn't my idea, and I never called them lazy OR gossips. I simply said that it's a fact they're more social, so that might be one possible reason why whoever decides who gets paid what decided to pay women less. I've also said many times that I don't agree with ANY sort of inequality, including pay inequality. But you only hear what you want to hear. You are the exact thing you claim doesn't exist within feminism, but you won't admit it. you might not outright say you hate men or call for their castration, but you can't stand not to jump at any chance to accuse a man of being a "misogynist." It's f****n sickening. Shut up and go make someone a sandwich already, for f**k's sake. I'm done responding to your stupid BS.

And it's not sexist to call someone a b***h. It's the female equivalent of calling a man a dick or an as*hole. And all of that is a stronger version of calling someone a jerk... There's nothing sexist about it. Now get off your soap box...