Page 2 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

meems
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 9:19 am

MXH wrote:
meems wrote:
THIS. A creep is a creep is a creep, it doesn't matter if you don't have bad intentions, or if you don't feel like it's fair you're called a creep.

It's always your job to stop being the creep.

Ill switch the genders here just so you see why this statement sounds so bad.

A slut is a slut us a slut, it doesnt mattter if you dont actually sleep with many or if you feel like its unfair you're called a slut.
Its always your job to stop being the slut.

Except the word slut is used to say you don't approve of someone's expression of their sexuality.

And creep is used to say you feel like someone is possibly a danger to you.

And I've been called both a slut and a creep. I feel no obligation to give a s**t if someone thinks I'm a slut because it isn't something I'm doing, it's something they believe I've done, away from them, in the past. And being called a creep in a social interaction means I'm making someone feel uncomfortable. I either need to change my behavior, or remove myself from the situation.

It's a false analogy.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 9:50 am

meems wrote:
MXH wrote:
meems wrote:
THIS. A creep is a creep is a creep, it doesn't matter if you don't have bad intentions, or if you don't feel like it's fair you're called a creep.

A slut is a slut us a slut, it doesnt mattter if you dont actually sleep with many or if you feel like its unfair you're called a slut.

Except the word slut is used to say you don't approve of someone's expression of their sexuality.

And I've been called both a slut and a creep. I feel no obligation to give a sh** if someone thinks I'm a slut because it isn't something I'm doing, it's something they believe I've done, away from them, in the past. And being called a creep in a social interaction means I'm making someone feel uncomfortable. I either need to change my behavior, or remove myself from the situation.

It's a false analogy.

no, its a perfect analogy because slut is considered one of the harshest words you can tell a woman and creep one of the harshest you can tell a man. And in both cases 99% of the time they are used when not necesary. Just because they dont mean the same thing doesnt mean they bring forth the same feelings.

And the whole idea that being a creep is based solely on making someone uncomfortable as ive said in other threads is 100% skepticism. Because the same person, with the same scenario can have 2 completely different reactions based on chance. Theres no real definition for what is creepy. well, besides thick glasses and beige trenchcoat. but still theres people that can pull off that costume and antics yet still be considered hot.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 10:19 am

MXH wrote:
meems wrote:
MXH wrote:
meems wrote:

And I've been called both a slut and a creep. I feel no obligation to give a sh** if someone thinks I'm a slut because it isn't something I'm doing, it's something they believe I've done, away from them, in the past. And being called a creep in a social interaction means I'm making someone feel uncomfortable. I either need to change my behavior, or remove myself from the situation.

It's a false analogy.

no, its a perfect analogy because slut is considered one of the harshest words you can tell a woman and creep one of the harshest you can tell a man. And in both cases 99% of the time they are used when not necesary. Just because they dont mean the same thing doesnt mean they bring forth the same feelings.

And the whole idea that being a creep is based solely on making someone uncomfortable as ive said in other threads is 100% skepticism. Because the same person, with the same scenario can have 2 completely different reactions based on chance. Theres no real definition for what is creepy. well, besides thick glasses and beige trenchcoat. but still theres people that can pull off that costume and antics yet still be considered hot.

If I encounter a stranger who is acting like a creep, I'm completely entitled to move away from that stranger and it honestly would be stupid for me to say "You're making me really uncomfortable." Because based on the creepy behavior, and him/her being a stranger, I don't know if I'm going to be violated or harmed. I don't have to stick around and suss out whether he/she is just awkward. I also think it's fair, and my obligation as a friend to say "hey, that person over there did x creepy thing, let's avoid that person." Even if I'm giving a false creep label, it's best I not take the chance based on the person just having social problems.

Because if I get attacked by a creep, I should've seen it coming since I got creep vibes from him. There's a lot of meaning to "creep" and enough of the onus is already on other people.

A slut is a subhuman, if she's raped or assaulted, it was probably her fault. Also, what she's doing to be a slut isn't hurting you or anyone else.

Creeps are misunderstood, innocent, victimized etc. Until they are actually creeps who turn out to molest/assault/rape, then I SHOULD'VE KNOWN since I thought that person was a creep.

It doesn't matter how the words make people feel, it matters how they are used.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 10:22 am

I completely disagree but seeing as how many tried to explain it to you ill just move on.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 10:29 am

Jono, DialAForAwesome, MXH, and whoever else:
That "creep" also is used as a derogatory term does NOT change that the definition used here is "a person that is making someone else feel threatened or uncomfortable".
Then if you think that it is "unfair" that everyone gets to decide where their line is concerning feeling threatened, that is another discussion (and this link talks about it http://kateharding.net/2009/10/08/guest ... ing-maced/), but don't pretend to be clueless. I do agree that they should offer the tools for learning, so it can be constructive criticism and a learning opportunity. But no one can ever be expected to teach another adult anything, or being derided for plainly not wanting to.

That "slut" remark is so far out of line and incorrect that I doubt you're here to have an adult discussion anyway. It shows a failing in understanding the meaning and complex history behind slurs - thinking they all have the same purpose.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 10:30 am

Anomiel wrote:
That "creep" also is used as a derogatory term does NOT change that the definition used here is "a person that is making someone else feel threatened or uncomfortable".
Then if you think that it is "unfair" that everyone gets to decide where their line is concerning feeling threatened, that is another discussion (and this link talks about it http://kateharding.net/2009/10/08/guest ... ing-maced/), but don't pretend to be clueless. I do agree that they should offer the tools for learning, so it can be constructive criticism and a learning opportunity. But no one can ever be expected to teach another adult anything, or being derided for plainly not wanting to.

That "slut" remark is so far out of line and incorrect that I doubt you're here to have an adult discussion anyway. It shows a failing in understanding the meaning and complex history behind slurs - thinking they all have the same purpose.

creep [kriːp]
vb creeps, creeping, crept (intr)
1. to crawl with the body near to or touching the ground
2. to move slowly, quietly, or cautiously
3. to act in a servile way; fawn; cringe
4. to move or slip out of place, as from pressure or wear
5. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Botany) (of plants) to grow along the ground or over rocks, producing roots, suckers, or tendrils at intervals
6. (of a body or substance) to become permanently deformed as a result of an applied stress, often when combined with heating
7. to develop gradually creeping unrest
8. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Physiology) to have the sensation of something crawling over the skin
9. (Engineering / Metallurgy) (of metals) to undergo slow plastic deformation
n
1. the act of creeping or a creeping movement
2. Slang a person considered to be obnoxious or servile
3. the continuous permanent deformation of a body or substance as a result of stress or heat
4. (Earth Sciences / Geological Science) Geology the gradual downwards movement of loose rock material, soil, etc., on a slope
5. (Engineering / Mechanical Engineering) a slow relative movement of two adjacent parts, structural components, etc.
6. (Engineering / Metallurgy) slow plastic deformation of metals See also creeps
[Old English crēopan; related to Old Frisian kriāpa, Old Norse krjūpa, Middle Low German krūpen]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

And seeing how you cant do nothing to actually combat a point but to start making me out to be either a troll or idiot just shows that you lack the common knowledge to actually partake in an adult discussion. See I can be immature too if I like.

Last edited by MXH on 16 Jan 2013, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 10:33 am

MXH wrote:
Anomiel wrote:

creep [kriːp]
vb creeps, creeping, crept (intr)
1. to crawl with the body near to or touching the ground
2. to move slowly, quietly, or cautiously
3. to act in a servile way; fawn; cringe
4. to move or slip out of place, as from pressure or wear
5. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Botany) (of plants) to grow along the ground or over rocks, producing roots, suckers, or tendrils at intervals
6. (of a body or substance) to become permanently deformed as a result of an applied stress, often when combined with heating
7. to develop gradually creeping unrest
8. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Physiology) to have the sensation of something crawling over the skin
9. (Engineering / Metallurgy) (of metals) to undergo slow plastic deformation
n
1. the act of creeping or a creeping movement
2. Slang a person considered to be obnoxious or servile
3. the continuous permanent deformation of a body or substance as a result of stress or heat
4. (Earth Sciences / Geological Science) Geology the gradual downwards movement of loose rock material, soil, etc., on a slope
5. (Engineering / Mechanical Engineering) a slow relative movement of two adjacent parts, structural components, etc.
6. (Engineering / Metallurgy) slow plastic deformation of metals See also creeps
[Old English crēopan; related to Old Frisian kriāpa, Old Norse krjūpa, Middle Low German krūpen]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

You don't get around on the internet much, do you? There is whole society with it's own terminology, and english is not a dead language. So I guess all this is about you not realizing that we're not talking about the slur?

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 10:36 am

Anomiel wrote:
You don't get around on the internet much, do you? There is whole society with it's own terminology, and english is not a dead language. So I guess all this is about you not realizing that we're not talking about the slur?

and here is the internet society definition of creep

1. creep
1950's word used by women to decribe an undesirable man.
He is such a creep. Who would want to go out with him?

The word creep doesnt convey dangerous behavior. It conveys unwanted behavior. 2 very different things.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 10:40 am

If a person tells you that you are making them uncomfortable, and your attitude is that it's wrong because it hurts your feelings, that's creepy. Especially if you're not thinking "I need to stop making this person uncomfortable."

That's a good definition.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 10:41 am

MXH wrote:
Anomiel wrote:

and here is the internet society definition of creep

1. creep
1950's word used by women to decribe an undesirable man.
He is such a creep. Who would want to go out with him?

So that is the case then. The concept is so foreign even though multiple persons have tried explaining it to you, that you're left searching dictionaries. So, what would be your choice of word for describing a person (and yes, not always a man either) that "makes other people feel threatened or uncomfortable"? You're not very helpful in providing any alternatives.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 10:41 am

Unwanted behavior. Toward another person or multiple people.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 10:42 am

Ted Bundy was literally the world's biggest creep, and no woman ever thought he was creepy until it was too late. :skull:

meems
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 10:44 am

Venger wrote:
Ted Bundy was literally the world's biggest creep, and no woman ever thought he was creepy until it was too late. :skull:

You point this out a lot.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 10:44 am

meems wrote:
Unwanted behavior. Toward another person or multiple people.

1+

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 10:52 am

You both keep missing the point. Im not even sure what you're saying to justify missing it. The term creepy as just unjustified behavior can not exist properly because behavior response is never the same even to the same person doing the same action.

As venger said, most psychopaths were never creeps. Most actually dangerous persons were never creeps. The creep you both talk about is the fat guy or nerdy guy with no "game". Ive seen a group of girls taunt a guy and call him a creep for as much as trying to start a conversation yet a random guy walks in, grabs one and makes out/gropes her and the rest cheer on. Not even 5 words said. So the guy that actually posed any ammount of unwarranted/dangerous behavior is not a creep. Why? because hes hot. This is my problem with the term creep. Until there is a real checklist of what a creep is, just as there is for any other insult, it is not a justifiable thing to say.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 10:55 am

For the purpose of this discussion, creepy behavior is pretty much defined as any behavior that is making others uncomfortable, and is unwanted behavior.

And slu*ty behavior is honestly no one else's business, so if it makes them uncomfortable, they need to stop thinking about what's going on in that slu*ty person's sex life. It's not being pushed on anyone else.

Creepy behavior is actually effecting other people.