Page 13 of 27 [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 27  Next

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 9:26 am

So, the definition of "nerd" is based on how someone looks? You're not a real nerd unless you dress nerdy and look like a nerd? You can't just have nerdy interests and behaviors?

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 10:12 am

marshall wrote:
So, the definition of "nerd" is based on how someone looks? You're not a real nerd unless you dress nerdy and look like a nerd? You can't just have nerdy interests and behaviors?

I find it hard to pin down exactly what is meant by the word nerd anyway

Most people give their definitions as people who look like xyz or wear xyz, which indicates to me that a lot of it is linked to appearance and image

I dont' see how any interest can be by definition 'nerdish' without it being linked back to 'liked by the type of person who is a nerd' - and then we get back to the question of 'so what is a nerd?'

it's not the interest or behaviour that is nerdish in itself, it's a person being a nerd and then exhibitiong those behaviours/liking those interests

I get the impression that people want to say here is "I like things that people who are classed as nerds like but I'm not an actual nerd myself; I'm still one of the cool people"

So are you this type then?

Last edited by nessa238 on 17 May 2013, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 10:13 am

I think according to people at WP it has to be a very black and white definition of nerdy to be a nerd (why am I not surprised?).

The people here seem to think you have to be the "whole package" so to speak to be a nerd.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 10:21 am

JanuaryMan wrote:
I think according to people at WP it has to be a very black and white definition of nerdy to be a nerd (why am I not surprised?).

The people here seem to think you have to be the "whole package" so to speak to be a nerd.

No, I am trying to pin down the very sneaky way a lot of people want to engage in a particular interest/behaviour without actually being what would be seen as a stereotypical nerd - it's a paradox - they want to be nerdish but not an actual nerd as nerds are people they look down on

Despite this being an Aspegers board :roll:

There's a three-tier system going on

1. people who are nerds/geeks/(whatever the term is this week) and not ashamed of it

2. people who are the above and ashamed of it so pretending they aren't

3. people who aren't nerds/geeks but like the type of things stereotypically associated with nerds so have to get the
term redefined/messed about with to make themselves feel better/to ensure they don't get lumped in wth actual nerds,
which would cramp their style

No's 2 and 3 are all about saving face socially

No 1 is often a typical person with Aspergers who is just being themself

No's 2 and 3 seem more common to me than 1 on here

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 10:30 am

Nerdy things are nerdy.
Looking nerdy is nerdy.
There is also the contrast between nerds and geeks to think about.

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 10:34 am

marshall wrote:

No; but despite the lack of a proper definition, I think that someone who spends a lot of effort trying to look "cool" is not a nerd.

This doesn't mean that nerds don't care about their appearance. For example, it would be really nerdy to wear something like this:

I'm not sure if that's considered "cool", but I doubt so.
A nerd would wear such a tie because he likes 8-bit graphics (provided that he does), even though he risks looking ridiculous (provided that he's aware of that).
If wearing something like that became cool, the nerd would still do it, but it wouldn't suddenly make him "one of the cool guys".

Last edited by Vectorspace on 17 May 2013, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 10:34 am

JanuaryMan wrote:
Nerdy things are nerdy.
Looking nerdy is nerdy.
There is also the contrast between nerds and geeks to think about.

Yes but what is the definition of 'a nerdy thing'?

What is difference between a nerd and a geek?

I think people who know all this stuff are automatically less likely to have Aspergers or where else are they
finding it all out from?? Their massive social circle of cool friends?

Why would you even care as an aspie?

You'd more likely be affronted that stuff you liked was looked down on

those doing the looking down on, by calling things nerdy/geeky etc are therefore by definition not Aspergers as they
are deliberately seperating themselves off from it with these insulting stereotype names, which are in effect just
insulting stereotypes of people with Aspergers and similar conditions

People who use words like 'geek' or 'nerd' instantly go right down in my estimation - just for the record and I think to myself
'Ok, so we've got a person who thinks they're all that here'

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 11:04 am

I think we need to understand what qualifies as a nerd. If it is based solely on appearance, on how a person acts, both, or if one or the other can be enough with both working.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 11:25 am

Vectorspace wrote:
marshall wrote:

No; but despite the lack of a proper definition, I think that someone who spends a lot of effort trying to look "cool" is not a nerd.

This doesn't mean that nerds don't care about their appearance. For example, it would be really nerdy to wear something like this:

I'm not sure if that's considered "cool", but I doubt so.
A nerd would wear such a tie because he likes 8-bit graphics (provided that he does), even though he risks looking ridiculous (provided that he's aware of that).
If wearing something like that became cool, the nerd would still do it, but it wouldn't suddenly make him "one of the cool guys".

That guy wouldn't automatically be a nerd. He could just be a hipster dressing weird for attention. The nerd stereotype is not dressing weird but looking unkempt and disheveled because you simply don't care at all about making yourself aesthetically pleasing. It's a stupid stereotype because not all nerdy/intelligent people don't care at all about having a presentable appearance.

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 11:34 am

Some people think of me as a nerd, I guess because I get good grades and don't dress up much. I don't necessarily have the extreme smarts that other people sometimes think I have, though. Part of having a lopsided IQ.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 11:46 am

PsychoSarah wrote:
Some people think of me as a nerd, I guess because I get good grades and don't dress up much. I don't necessarily have the extreme smarts that other people sometimes think I have, though. Part of having a lopsided IQ.

It's easier to look "nerdy" as a female because dress conformity is more strict. If you don't dress "feminine" enough you could be considered either a nerd or a lesbian. It's an annoying aspect of our society.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 11:48 am

marshall wrote:
PsychoSarah wrote:

It's easier to look "nerdy" as a female because dress conformity is more strict. If you don't dress "feminine" enough you could be considered either a nerd or a lesbian. It's an annoying aspect of our society.

It's an annoying aspect of the annoying people in society - not everyone is that stupid

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 11:49 am

marshall wrote:
PsychoSarah wrote:

True enough, people have asked me if I was a lesbian before. Including my grandmother, who will never live it down. If I was one, I would be open about it, but I am not even bicurious.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 11:55 am

OMG - I want that 8-bit tie!! ! :D

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 11:57 am

What?

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 12:05 pm

marshall wrote:
That guy wouldn't automatically be a nerd. He could just be a hipster dressing weird for attention.

Yes, it's a problem to distinguish a nerd from a hipster. But there is a clear difference:
If a nerd wears it, it's because he understands what it's about and he likes it. A hipster, on the other hand, wears it for his "style".

BlueMax wrote:
OMG - I want that 8-bit tie!! ! :D

Me too, but they don't ship to Europe. I do, however, own this shirt:

Last edited by Vectorspace on 17 May 2013, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.