Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

DavidCook
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Oct 2013, 1:30 pm

This might not sound like the most enjoyable of topics, but it certainly does pose a question. Take anyone with autism, for example. They are slowly but surely understanding the innuendos of neurotypical society, and they will eventually reach the expectations of society. Envision this as an upward-sloping line, as someone with autism comes closer and closer to fitting in (and does one day). This is the progress line. Then, there is a downward-sloping line as well, which represents the expectations of society that are slowly decreasing over time, especially when you take into consideration that the autistic percentage of society is increasing over time. Where the two lines meet is called the "autistic equilibrium", the first point in time that a particular person with autism can feel 100% comfortable in society. Equilibrium can happen sooner for some individuals on the spectrum than others (the higher-functioning the individual, the steeper the progress line).

Anyway, this is just theoretical autism, and is designed to give anyone who is struggling to fit in hope that soon, things will be better!

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 1:35 pm

Hi! First post, I see!

Quote:
They are slowly but surely understanding the innuendos of neurotypical society, and they will eventually reach the expectations of society.

Well. What do you mean by that? Is it the purpose of all AS to fit the 'expectations of society'? And what society are we talking about, the one in our dreams or the one outside my window?

Can you explain that in a way which doesn't turn me into part of a line graph, please.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 8:11 pm

The trouble, though, is that as you get older the unwritten rules, expectations, and so forth change. And, NT's are constantly learning and changing, too.