Setting Up People With Someone

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

specialguy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Oct 2013, 9:50 pm

Nambo wrote:
specialguy wrote:

What seems to work when setting two people up - tell the female that she is being set up - never tell the guy.

Often the guy will blow it, lol.

But when both people know it's a "set up", there is just more pressure on the situation than there needs to be. Such has been my experience anyway.

I can think of two occasions seeing a perfectly nice girl in tears because I didn't do whatever I was supposed to do if I was normal when girlfriends of friends have tried to set me up with someone.

Of course now I know enough about myself to run in the opposite direction from such an occurrence.

Even though Iam 54 Women still think they can sort me out with someone, just last month this Women at work was aghast to discover I was unattached, within the space of 24 hours shes telling me shes found someone for me whos 42 and will meet me in Central Lobby on Monday, "Will I be around then?"
Fortunately I had booked that week off and haven't bumped into the Matchmaker since, Iam hoping they would have both forgotten by now.

Its bad enough I don't know what Iam supposed to do even with somebody I find attractive, it horrifies me the thought of being set up with somebody I find repulsive, what do you do then in a way that wouldn't hurt somebodies feelings?

Right. And that's exactly the reason your friend should not notify you - it can be horrific pressure when a guy "knows" he is being "matched up".

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 3:22 am

No, never...

basenick20
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Oct 2013, 6:46 am

If I gotten myself into a situation like this in the near future, what should I do to become successful in dating a girl my friends set me up with? Let me know. Thanks. :)

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 9:42 am

It can work but it can also be a disaster.

If people are willing to put effort into helping you find someone, it can be rewarding. if they are just finding their most desperate friend and throwing them at you, then no.

basenick20
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2013, 10:07 pm

I have to agree with you on both fronts.

basenick20
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2013, 10:07 pm

I have to agree with you on both fronts.

basenick20
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2013, 12:48 pm

Anybody else have any input on this? Please, anymore input on this thread is welcome. Thanks.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 1:04 pm

Sorry to be a killjoy, but the only time this has ever happened to me people put so much pressure on us. They genuinely thought that we were meant for each other. We cracked under the pressure and after several occassions of being invited to the same place so we could spend time together we started arguing and just stopped getting on well. I felt pressurized and told people to stop and he felt rejected and we fell out. I saw his grumpy side and decided that this was a person I wouldn't be able to live with and he saw my judgemental side and we just don't get on any more. It ruined what could have just been a good friendship coz we do have alot in common.

basenick20
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2013, 8:15 pm

Well, sometimes it doesn't put pressure on the couple because sometimes when a couple meets for the first time they can find common ground and start to get to know each other very well. Anymore input on this thread?