Slightly underweight or curvy/slightly overweight?

Page 4 of 13 [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next

Flyer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Dec 2013, 4:22 am

Honestly, I have no preference. And how come there's no poll?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 7:03 am

If I was a guy, I'd go for the woman with the smallest feet.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 11:04 am

Monolithe wrote:
OK so Guys this question is for you. As you see women come in all shapes and sizes, but if you had two chose between two specific type body shapes, which would you prefer: Slightly underweight women or Curvy/slightly overweight?

Honestly, I do not have a preference and I actually find a wider range then you indicate can be attractive to me.

Weight does not 'weigh' heavily in what makes a person attractive overall, and to my mind is not a good evaluation point. One of the reasons for this is that weight is a variable, and rarely constant. A person may gain or lose weight multiple times in life. It is not meaningless, as it is important that you find your mate or companion attractive, but it can be very subjective. If anything that you find a person's facial features agreeable is a bit more important as it will stay more constant, even with some degree of weight change.

But I would never of course choose a companion based on weight/looks alone. That is madness.

A person's personality, their way of thinking, their outlook on life, their motivation and dependablity are all as important. Looks may be what most often catches the eye first, but perhaps not as much as supposed, or with as much value as they regard other things. Something I think that catches my eye as much is real.

TimothyNoDash
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2013, 11:57 am

I think most of us humans still think with our limbic brain during our first impression. Of course that can be taught but generally most men don't look at fashion magazines (but lets not get into what magazines men look in :roll: must be cars..). Therefore most men go with the girls with the healthy self esteem and healthy diet, which is a logical choice gene wise.

Oh word of the wise for other men: avoid this topic with your GF like the plague. There is no right answer and believe me, I tried them all. Best one is: I like you and that is all I think about all day (corny, but works somehow)

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 1:44 pm

Quote:
Sounds like to me you generalize as though all thin women are taking diet pills because you know of one woman.

The above statement is blatant twisting of my words. What I keep trying to express, and what many of you want to twist into hatred for thin people is my disbelief that anyone would support the position that looks should be valued over health.

It's obvious that some of you have issues over a perceived "war on thin." I'm almost 60, and I lived through at least 50 years of "war on fat." No, I'm not fat, but I'm not thin either - I'm about average, so I really don't have a dog in this fight, other than my concerns about how ridiculous pressure from external sources causes some women to completely ruin their health. "Dying to be thin" is not just a saying. It literally happens.

I did not know just one woman who abused her body that way (she was just the most recent example I could think of off the top of my head) - when I was in my teens and 20s and 30s, virtually every woman I knew was on a perpetual diet. Nearly every one. Literally. In fact, I vaguely recall knowing ONE woman who was NOT on a diet. "You can't ever be too thin" was an overwhelming cultural meme at the time. For decades. As a consequence, this relatively recent backlash from a small segment of people against the cultural mindset that "thinner is better" is extremely refreshing to me, since virtually every woman I've known from the time I was in high school until I was in my mid-40s suffered health problems as a consequence of their perpetual dieting. Most were anemic, many stopped menstruating, some could not even conceive (until they went back to a normal, healthy diet), others suffered from fragile bones as a result of poor nutrition, others went a little bit crazy, there was a pretty fair representation of autoimmune diseases scattered about.

I've never claimed that being obese is healthy, either. I will, in fact, flatly say that being obese is unhealthy. For all of you who want to blame obese people (and there you're blaming the women themselves) for not stepping away from the table, I say you should also be blaming all who perpetuate "there's no such thing as too thin" myth (note that I'm NOT blaming the women themselves, but rather the societal pressure). Nowhere in our culture is there peer/societal pressure for women to be fat. NOWHERE. Yet, you seem to want to blame the women themselves for being fat. Conversely, nowhere that you look in our culture is there NOT peer/societal pressure to be thin. So, I blame the societal pressure, not the women.

Why should we sit back and let the fashion and advertising industry dictate our individual choices? If you're thin and you like it, stay thin. If you're fat and you like it, stay fat. If you're either extreme and want to change, more power to you. Just be healthy and stop giving a crap about what other people think of you.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 1:57 pm

BrandonSP wrote:
I can't say either of those options have great figures in all honesty.

These are women whose figures I think look fine. How would you classify their physiques?

[imgttp://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Actress+Lupita+Nyong+o+Fox+Searchlight+TIFF+CKTDBQPgfb9l.jpg[/img]
[imghttp://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/swimsuit/image/2008/08_oluchi-onweagba_01.jpg[/img]
[imghttp://imagebox.cz.osobnosti.cz/foto/celestina-aladekoba-/N183272-8ebc2.jpg[/img]

They are all hot, physique wise.

But out of my league :lol:.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 1:59 pm

Eureka, why in the non-western countries the poor aren't obese?

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 2:22 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Because they don't have access to all the cheap crap food that us 'murricans have. It costs much less to eat unhealthy crap in this country than it does to eat healthy. Who here is unfamiliar with the "Ramen diet"? Cheapest food you can buy, loaded with salt, fat, carbs.

Also, most of America's gene pool comes from western Europe. Western Europe has had its share overweight people since medieval times (mostly the middle and upper classes). Guess who founded this nation? Yup, the middle and upper classes of western Europe.

The Asian, Eurasian, and African gene pools historically do not have as high an incidence of overweight people. They also eat less meat and dairy than Europeans and Americans. The two things may be related, they may not. There was a very popular "Asian diet" 20-25 years ago, where people tried to lose weight eating more like traditional Asians. It didn't work very well, and rapidly fell out of favor. Why? Because western DNA is just different enough from eastern DNA that what seems to work very well for people of Asian origin doesn't do the trick for us westerners.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 2:22 pm

When you look at the statistic, "It's ok to be fat" message is working better on American people rather than "You can't be too thin."

IreneS
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Dec 2013, 3:26 pm

If it's a man: slightly underweight
If it's a woman: slightly overweight

But I'd prefer the one I'm most mentally compatible with.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 4:03 pm

Eureka13 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Because they don't have access to all the cheap crap food that us 'murricans have. It costs much less to eat unhealthy crap in this country than it does to eat healthy. Who here is unfamiliar with the "Ramen diet"? Cheapest food you can buy, loaded with salt, fat, carbs.

Also, most of America's gene pool comes from western Europe. Western Europe has had its share overweight people since medieval times (mostly the middle and upper classes). Guess who founded this nation? Yup, the middle and upper classes of western Europe.

The Asian, Eurasian, and African gene pools historically do not have as high an incidence of overweight people. They also eat less meat and dairy than Europeans and Americans. The two things may be related, they may not. There was a very popular "Asian diet" 20-25 years ago, where people tried to lose weight eating more like traditional Asians. It didn't work very well, and rapidly fell out of favor. Why? Because western DNA is just different enough from eastern DNA that what seems to work very well for people of Asian origin doesn't do the trick for us westerners.

Quote:
Abstract
A review of 144 published studies of the relationship between socioeconomic status (SES) and obesity reveals a strong inverse relationship among women in developed societies. The relationship is inconsistent for men and children in developed societies. In developing societies, however, a strong direct relationship exists between SES and obesity among men, women, and children. A review of social attitudes toward obesity and thinness reveals values congruent with the distribution of obesity by SES in different societies. Several variables may mediate the influence of attitudes toward obesity and thinness among women in developed societies that result in the inverse relationship between SES and obesity. They include dietary restraint, physical activity, social mobility, and inheritance. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2012 APA, all rights reserved)

http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=sea ... -23051-001

But why only the women?? If only I can get this study.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 5:22 pm

Eureka13 wrote:
Genetics plays a large part in any person's body fat levels. Certainly it is influenced by factors such as diet and exercise (i.e., maintaining a specific basal metabolic rate), but your genes are the hand of cards you are dealt at birth, and you don't get a do-over on your genetic makeup.

If person A burns 500 calories less per day than person B, it doesn't mean that person A is doomed to a life of being overweight; it simply means that person A needs 500 calories less per day to function.

Quote:

You can always find articles on the internet that support your views. Ask, and I'll post at least ten that contradict all that on how it's mostly genetics.

Quote:
My personal belief is that if you have to starve yourself (i.e., eat less than 1800-2400 calories per day) and work out for hours every day to maintain a particular body weight, that means that you are fighting your genetic pattern. Many medical professionals are now beginning to believe it is just as detrimental to your health to constantly be fighting your "fat destiny" as it is to be either too overweight or too underweight.

A man does not need to starve himself to get to 15% bodyfat--and a woman does not need to starve herself to get to 23% bodyfat or even 20% bodyfat, given that society does not expect women to carry more muscle mass than they get from everyday activities.

Quote:
(BTW, my opinions are not strictly "pie in the sky" - I studied molecular biology and biochemistry in college, along with genetics. I also worked in biotechnology for many years.)

Nobody said that you were stupid, and since you're clearly well educated, you also know about the basic laws of thermodynamics and how a magic obesity gene would violate these. I study for a master's degree in engineering, and was among the top computer science students in both physics and chemistry, btw.

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 5:50 pm

Weeeeellll, actually, now that you mention it......

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/267934.php

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 6:40 pm

700 kCal = 2X strawberry cheesecake

so, listen to this

today, I had

1 banana
1 packet of crisps
2 x seed/nut/couscus salad
4 x cheesecake
1 x giant goats cheese pizza
most of the bottle of red wine

and people tell me I am not fat. Like, in what universe would this be? Why do people think that lying to your face is perfectly acceptable even when you, yourself have indicated you are perfectly aware of the fact you are fat?
It drives me really insane, this. grrrr

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 7:53 pm

So here's a visual guide for body fat percentages. Personally, I'm sitting at about 15%

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 9:30 pm

The 15 % to 25% range on the men looks normal and healthy.The first two low fat guys look creepy.