Page 3 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 3:27 am

I would never make some guy I asked out pay for anything. He is joining me for a meal. I asked him on a date. It's not 2 friends going out.. it's a date. It's my wallet that gets used.

How unromantic: "Oh, would you like to join me for dinner? I forgot to mention, buy your own food and drink or you can't come."

You don't invite people over to your house for dinner and tell them to bring half the food. The person hosting/asking puts it on.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 4:11 am

Dutch.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 7:50 am

I like the idea of going Dutch.

voltagesparks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Apr 2014, 11:19 am

Wow, it's so weird reading some of the comments above. Where I come from you would never assume a guy would pay for you on the first few dates.Dutch was standard when I lived in England as well. I think it's a matter of equality for some, a few girls I know never allow any guy to pay for them. I think dutch is fair for that initial phase of a relationship, but as it progresses and partners get to know each others financial situation these dynamics can shift. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable having a stranger pay for me, but it's fine when I know my boyfriend can afford it and wants to pay.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 6:31 pm

in general the one who asks out pays

many times this even happens outside of a "date" when friends of mine and I go out.

in many other cases just go "dutch"

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 6:56 pm

Technical question: Say one person suggests getting together on a specific day/time frame, and the other person says "sure, how about meeting for coffee/drinks/lunch/dinner/weekend in Monaco?" Who pays? The one who suggested getting together or the one who suggests the activity?

I really do have a hard time with these technicalities, which is why I always offer to pay my share, especially if it's more than just coffee.

Last edited by Eureka13 on 06 Apr 2014, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 7:12 pm

So, the thing is, if you go out with a guy, and he is a douche, but you don't know this yet because you've just met him, if you let him pay for you, he will think he is entitled to all manner of things. Like you being nice to him for example.

I like to reserve the right to be nasty to sobs who deserve it, so I like to pay my way, with that in mind. :twisted:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Apr 2014, 8:16 pm

Eureka13 wrote:
Technical question: Say one person suggests getting together on a specific day/time frame, and the other person says "sure, how about meeting for coffee/drinks/lunch/dinner/weekend in Monaco?" Who pays? The one who suggested getting together or the one who suggests the activity?

I really do have a hard time with these technicalities, which is why I always offer to pay my share if it's more than just coffee.
Here's another tech question :arrow: Who should pay when the one asking can only afford something very cheap & the one asked picks/wants something expensive?

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

onewithstrange
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2014, 10:05 pm

I like the idea of going Dutch for a first date, since both parties have just as much at stake. But if the date went well and I like her, I'll pay for the dates after. If a girl excuses herself to the restroom as we get up to the cashier, I'll wait patiently for her to come back and insist we split the bill, then never call her again.

~~ John von Neumann

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 12:37 am

onewithstrange wrote:
I like the idea of going Dutch for a first date, since both parties have just as much at stake. But if the date went well and I like her, I'll pay for the dates after.

Why do you pay for the dates after? How has the dynamic changed? I.e. Who has more at stake now?

onewithstrange
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Apr 2014, 5:20 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
Why do you pay for the dates after? How has the dynamic changed? I.e. Who has more at stake now?

It shows that I enjoyed her company and that I think our time together is worth investing in. On a first date, I don't know either of these yet. I also prefer to keep the first date simple and inexpensive.

~~ John von Neumann

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 5:44 am

onewithstrange wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

It shows that I enjoyed her company and that I think our time together is worth investing in. On a first date, I don't know either of these yet. I also prefer to keep the first date simple and inexpensive.

How does she show it? Why shouldn't she be paying for the dates after?

onewithstrange
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Apr 2014, 7:01 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
How does she show it? Why shouldn't she be paying for the dates after?

If she's interested she'll keep saying yes. It's usually obvious to me when I'm being used for a free dinner. As far as why she shouldn't be paying, I'm sure my motivations are rooted in the tradition that a man pays. Paying for the dates precludes her from weighing her time with me against her financial needs.

~~ John von Neumann

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 7:56 am

Eureka13 wrote:

I really do have a hard time with these technicalities, which is why I always offer to pay my share, especially if it's more than just coffee.

for me this would be a dutch situation unless the other person volunteers

onewithstrange wrote:
I like the idea of going Dutch for a first date, since both parties have just as much at stake. But if the date went well and I like her, I'll pay for the dates after. If a girl excuses herself to the restroom as we get up to the cashier, I'll wait patiently for her to come back and insist we split the bill, then never call her again.

she is just following social custom, had you not made the fact that you expect dutch ahead of time how is she going to know? Seriously this is akin to punishing someone for driving on the correct side of the road.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 8:59 am

Are any of you guys who don't believe in picking up the tab the same ones who wonder why they can't get a girlfriend? Epecially those who want an NT girlfriend. I do not personally know any women [ not talking my age, but my kids age] who have ever picked up the tab on the first date. In addition, most of them receive flowers either before,or sent after the date. Dates need not be expensive though. Pack an incredible picnic lunch. Bring a loaf of stale bread to feed the ducks or the chipmunks and walk around the lake with her. Pick a bouquet of flowers from your garden [or someone elses] before the date.

I know it seems unfair. It probably is unfair. I think it's kind of a biological, cultural mix of things. I must admit, that is one of many reasons that I prefer being a woman to a man.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 9:38 am

The person who invites the other one out is the one that should pay. However, I've asked many a guy out on a date and was fully prepared to pay but they always insisted on paying because "Guys pay for the date" traditionally down here. I let them because it was important to them. In a relationship, sometimes you pool your money to go to someplace expensive and when it's the guys birthday or a special gift you are giving him you of course insist on paying that yourself, but overall, guys usually do pay unless the girl offers to chip in, and many times that offends the guy. Down here anyway. I don't know how it is in other parts of the country.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com