Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 2:12 pm

http://list25.com/25-things-not-to-do-o ... /?view=all

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 3:50 pm

It's an interesting list and I agree with all of them except #17, don't take your kids with you. Years ago I had a first date at a funfair and she brought her kids with her, aged about 3 and 5. We had a great time so this can work PROVIDING you're warned about it first.

Some other things to add:

Don't run out of cash, because spending part of your date in a queue for the ATM is not OK.

Don't forget her name

Don't keep looking at your watch or the train timetable

Don't forget to turn off your mobile phone

Don't forget to clean your car, inside and out.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 5:05 pm

If I were to be single again, and dating, rule #1 would be Cell Phone off ! !!

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 5:49 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
If I were to be single again, and dating, rule #1 would be Cell Phone off ! !!

agreed. but this rule applies to anytime you are hangin out with someone, even friends or family. it's freaking terrible when people interrupt the conversation to send messages or laugh at something they are reading on facebook all the time :?

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 6:04 pm

in my country we don't have this date thing, my sister is in the US and she said in there guys radomly approach you to ask your cellphone so that they can call you to have dinner together. This where I lived is considered utmost weird! :lol: you don't simply go out with someone you don't know like that!
In everyday life people get to know each other more by talking. In parties is when the intimate approach happens; usually the guy comes talk to the girl but before the girl may have looked at him "calling him" or dancing to him; or they already knew each other. Then they don't talk long but kiss. In a party or night club people usually kiss many others in a night.
If they stay with the same person all night then maybe they may see each other again; this second approach is usually by facebook, they add the person and talk if they are interested. Then in other parties when both go they kiss each other again. If they start kissing each other frequently than the person is the other's "stayer". After being a stayer for some time, they may do something together, ie. go on a date. After some months (4 or so) of "staying" they may settle down as valentines. If they are to get married years later it is not an unilateral decision of the man to ask a woman to marry him while the woman waits as in american tradition (another weird stuff!), usually it is a more like a couple decision to get married.
I like cultural comparison, for me it is interesting, hope you girls and guys don't mind.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 6:38 pm

^^^^^^That is very interesting, linatet. I remember an article in a UK magazine about the oddness of US dating - the 'accepted' tradition in the UK was, as the writer put it, to go to a party (through friends of friends), see someone there you like, see if they like you, probably go to bed with them, wake up and spend time together, and decide sometime over the next few weeks and months if you want to be in a/the relationship. Which is nothing I've ever done as I could never abide parties, but it does sound like an accurate description of people I've known.

As to the list, I'd add:

Don't say, 'you're late', as your first greeting. Even if they are. They will give you a funny look and say how the train was a little late, and half way through the film you are watching together, you will realise what you said and want to sink into the seat and disappear.

Don't arrange to meet them at a different train station to the one you anxiously wait for them at. That's a very stupid thing to do.

When you are listening to Radiohead's 'Fake Plastic Trees' together, don't say, 'oh, is that a cello?' when the cello comes in. You may be excited to distinctly hear it for the first time, but they probably aren't. Their response of 'I don't know' doesn't just convey that they can't hear it, but that they are confused as to why you would say such a thing in the midst of jointly listening to a beautiful piece of music.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 6:52 pm

Hopper wrote:
^^^^^^That is very interesting, linatet. I remember an article in a UK magazine about the oddness of US dating - the 'accepted' tradition in the UK was, as the writer put it, to go to a party (through friends of friends), see someone there you like, see if they like you, probably go to bed with them, wake up and spend time together, and decide sometime over the next few weeks and months if you want to be in a/the relationship. Which is nothing I've ever done as I could never abide parties, but it does sound like an accurate description of people I've known.

Glad you like it! Actually this is part of my special interest :wink:
I would say in here it is more like the UK, except that I would say instead of people kissing someone and then spending the night with them and having sex, in here people don't usually have sex right away when they meet in a party, but kiss many different people.
As for those that don't like parties, you have to approach her and kiss her. Of course, you have to manage to create a romantic atmosphere first. But this is easily arrenged if the two of you are alone somewhere. And in here it is kind of common to kiss in public, even heavy petting.

Quote:
As to the list, I'd add:

Don't say, 'you're late', as your first greeting. Even if they are. They will give you a funny look and say how the train was a little late, and half way through the film you are watching together, you will realise what you said and want to sink into the seat and disappear.

Don't arrange to meet them at a different train station to the one you anxiously wait for them at. That's a very stupid thing to do.

When you are listening to Radiohead's 'Fake Plastic Trees' together, don't say, 'oh, is that a cello?' when the cello comes in. You may be excited to distinctly hear it for the first time, but they probably aren't. Their response of 'I don't know' doesn't just convey that they can't hear it, but that they are confused as to why you would say such a thing in the midst of jointly listening to a beautiful piece of music.

this sounds like personal experience :lol:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 7:05 pm

Eccles_the_Mighty wrote:
It's an interesting list and I agree with all of them except #17, don't take your kids with you. Years ago I had a first date at a funfair and she brought her kids with her, aged about 3 and 5. We had a great time so this can work PROVIDING you're warned about it first.

Some other things to add:

Don't run out of cash, because spending part of your date in a queue for the ATM is not OK.

Don't forget her name

Don't keep looking at your watch or the train timetable

Don't forget to turn off your mobile phone

Don't forget to clean your car, inside and out.

I'll add:

Don't insult her manner of dress. This is very rude and could not only insult her self-esteem, but also could insult your self-esteem too.

Don't talk about your family.

If neither of you can drive, use public transportation whether the two of you like it or not.

Don't take her to a quiet area to try and make out with her. She'll probably think you are trying to sexually assault her.

Tell your date if you have problems communicating verbally.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 7:59 pm

Hopper wrote:

LOL Oh Radiohead fans... what a bunch of pretentious elitists.

Here is another one for the list: Don't make your date listen to Radiohead songs.

ReverieMe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Apr 2014, 8:04 pm

I find it concerning that people old enough and capable of dating would need to be told not to flirt with someone other than their date or pick their nose when meeting someone new.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 8:59 pm

Yuzu wrote:
Hopper wrote:

Here is another one for the list: Don't make your date listen to Radiohead songs.

um, if this isn't a joke it's kind of mean. radiohead is one of my favourite bands--this makes me a pretentious elitist?

ouch. :(

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 11:48 pm

Here is thing mom told me when I was 17, don't talk about your special interests none stop on your first date.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 12:52 am

starvingartist wrote:
Yuzu wrote:
Hopper wrote:

um, if this isn't a joke it's kind of mean. radiohead is one of my favourite bands--this makes me a pretentious elitist?

ouch. :(

Not all Radiohead fans are like that I'm sure. It's just that what he said fit my image of Radiohead fans so much.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 3:15 am

Quote:
Glad you like it! Actually this is part of my special interest Wink
I would say in here it is more like the UK, except that I would say instead of people kissing someone and then spending the night with them and having sex, in here people don't usually have sex right away when they meet in a party, but kiss many different people.
As for those that don't like parties, you have to approach her and kiss her. Of course, you have to manage to create a romantic atmosphere first. But this is easily arrenged if the two of you are alone somewhere. And in here it is kind of common to kiss in public, even heavy petting.

In fact, based on your posts, courtship/dating is way weirder in your culture (and worse in the UK) than in the US, I am saying that while I am not even American living in the US, I am a Middle Eastern male. This rule of having to kiss (and I guess you meant french kissing) a first met person is so freakingly f*****g weird and disturbing!! The so-called "weird" "US approach" is more logical, sensible and more universally acceptable in the world I guess.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 4:48 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:
Glad you like it! Actually this is part of my special interest Wink

In fact, based on your posts, courtship/dating is way weirder in your culture (and worse in the UK) than in the US, I am saying that while I am not even American living in the US, I am a Middle Eastern male. This rule of having to kiss (and I guess you meant french kissing) a first met person is so freakingly f***ing weird and disturbing!! The so-called "weird" "US approach" is more logical, sensible and more universally acceptable in the world I guess.

you say it is disturbing but most people in here don't think so! :lol:
for me both types are weird. I don't go around kissing people, but I wouldn't like to go on a date either. I think going out with someone you don't know is weird and awkward (also possibly dangerous for women. Hear there are "date rapes"). Also from what I see dates are kind of formal, and for me this is even more awkward.
for me the "best" (ie. Most suited with my personality) would be being friends first and then kissing. No kissing right away and no dating.

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 4:55 am

ReverieMe wrote:
I find it concerning that people old enough and capable of dating would need to be told not to flirt with someone other than their date or pick their nose when meeting someone new.

My thought exactly! It's over-obvious. On the other hand, I've dated people who did some of the things on the list so I suppose it's useful to some.

(not a native speaker)