Were does all the hate in this sub-forum come from?

Page 8 of 10 [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 8:13 pm

I don't understand what the problem is here. Hopper and starvingartist have been quite articulate about it. Women do not exist for your viewing pleasure, and if they have not invited you to comment on their looks, then don't. Do not intrude on their privacy by barging in and telling them how much you enjoy looking at them. And if you're staring, stop.

Women are subject to the same rules when it comes to men (and women). I absolutely cannot walk up to men I work with and start talking at them about their looks, and doing something like that at male students would be a fast invitation to dismissal. Same would apply to women, should I be inclined to stare.

If you were to do that sort of thing at work in the US, and you were a boss, you'd be leaving yourself open to a lawsuit for creating a hostile work environment. Which you would indeed have created. If you did that while working in a large corporation and enough murmurs and complaints reached HR, you'd be swiftly disciplined and then, if you didn't shape up, canned, because you'd be a walking liability for the company.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 8:20 pm

I don't know what you're driving at. How would complimenting acquaintances lead to a sexual-harassment lawsuit? As I stated before, I don't randomly go up to women to offer compliments.

I would be shy, flabbergasted, etc. should a woman come up to me with compliments (it hasn't happened)--but I wouldn't feel perturbed in the least.

I don't believe women exist for "my viewing pleasure." In fact, my ideal relationship would be akin to the one between Mary Wollstonecraft and the philosopher who was (I believe) the father of Mary Shelley of "Frankenstein" fame. I can't recall the man's name right at this time. A virtuous, Enlightened relationship.

I am not of the Patriarchy; people should not attribute the characteristics of the Patriarchy to me--especially without knowing me personally.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 8:49 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't know what you're driving at. How would complimenting acquaintances lead to a sexual-harassment lawsuit? As I stated before, I don't randomly go up to women to offer compliments.

I would be shy, flabbergasted, etc. should a woman come up to me with compliments (it hasn't happened)--but I wouldn't feel perturbed in the least.

I don't believe women exist for "my viewing pleasure." In fact, my ideal relationship would be akin to the one between Mary Wollstonecraft and the philosopher who was (I believe) the father of Mary Shelley of "Frankenstein" fame. I can't recall the man's name right at this time. A virtuous, Enlightened relationship.

I am not of the Patriarchy; people should not attribute the characteristics of the Patriarchy to me--especially without knowing me personally.

you may not be of the patriarchy, as you say, but that doesn't negate the fact that you suffer less oppression than women do being a male in a society that still favours males. you benefit from a patriarchal system just by virtue of being male, and for some reason you seem unable to recognise that. just as i don't choose to be oppressed by a patriarchal society, you don't choose to benefit from it--but you do still benefit. do you see how that works?

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 9:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Women go to work to do jobs and get paid, not to serve as ogling fodder. In most large companies, at this point, HR will put you through anti-sexual-harassment training so that you know how not to leave other people feeling like they're working with creepsters. Unless that co-worker is a very good friend, you're looking for trouble if you start remarking on his or her appearance. The take-home is "if you don't know where the line is, keep the remark to yourself."

Suppose I were to go to work and tell a faculty member, "Have you lost weight? It looks like you've been working out." This isn't a compliment, because the subtext is, "I am staring at your body and gauging your sexual attractiveness, rather than attending to the business at hand." And that's not welcome. If I were to say to a student employee, "Gosh, what a becoming outfit on you," the subtext is the same, only it's even less comfortable for the student, because I have power over him or her. Even worse if it's not just a student employee, but a student in my class who's receiving a grade from me. And you had better believe I am aware of these things. If a student comes in wearing something unintentionally revealing, I might, as a mother, think, "Dear, cover up," but I'm sure as hell not going to say a word about it to the student, because that means I've noticed, and am making the student aware that I'm looking at her body. Which would make things very awkward indeed for the student.

And do you know what? It's a good thing. It's horrible to go to work and be subject to all these guys "complimenting" you, leering away. I can't stop them thinking it, but I can certainly stop them intruding on my mental space with it. The same laws make it quite difficult now for gangs of guys to get together at work and start rating women sexually and generally degrading them before going back into the office to work with the very same women. Is there still sexual harassment, yes, but it ain't like the old days.

Oh: more specifically, it's against US labor law to create a "hostile workplace environment", which includes environments in which one can expect sexual harassment, such as unwelcome remarks about one's appearance, body, etc.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 9:13 pm

starvingartist wrote:
Klowglas wrote:
I think a lot people in this thread are confusing frustration for hate, if these people (which I include myself) hated women, there will be no desire whatsoever to want to be near them.

Kind of life how race debates degenerate into everyone being labeled a racist. Simply calling someone a woman-hater is just a cop-out, it's trying to paint something that is grey as simple black and white, someone frustrated with women is frustrated because they want to have a woman's affection. Multiple rejections over along period of time leads to frustration, which might lead to comments that appear as misogynist, but if any person really hated women there would be no desire to try and court them.

And it's important to keep in mind that a lot of these guys have been dealt a tremendous amount of rejections over the course of their lives, trying to call them out out on their bitterness is like trying to blame someone for developing a scab over a wound, it's just a part of being human. A person might be able to hide their bitterness in the best of this scenario but it's still there because that's what makes us human. Rejections hurt, -A LOT- of rejections hurt a lot, and that grief is going to manifest in one form or another, it's just a part of what makes us human.

wanting to f**k something you don't actually like or enjoy the company of other than for f***ing, is a form of hate.

No it's not. I once dated this boy who was very, very hot, but he was stupid as all get outs. I couldn't stand to talk to him, and as it turns out he wasn't any good in the sack because he had one the size of my little finger. But I never hated him.

Also, if we get into this whole "Let's moderate everything sexist" then half of what I say will be gone. Especially if I use the word girl or lady instead of woman or female. Anything can be construed as sexist by somebody, somewhere.

The guys who say s**t like "Women just like <insert whatever idiotic thing they want to think> and they don't like guys like me" aren't being sexist. They are being bitter and stupid. Guys who b***h about feminists aren't being sexist, they are just trying to find somewhere to put the blame.

It's not sexism, it's stupidity. Sexism would be if they were manager of a company and wouldn't hire women. Sexism would be if they wouldn't give a lady a bank loan.

Do you want to start moderating the remarks about men in general too?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 9:17 pm

starvingartist wrote:
Klowglas wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:
Apart from which, the idea that a misogynist won't want to f**k women or find them attractive -- this is simply wrong. There are many guys who are genuinely contemptuous and resentful of women and find great pleasure in chasing and nailing them. It's viewed as a conquest, another way of reducing people to objects and inferiors.

(I'm hoping we can skip the parallel "I can't be racist, I have black friends" embarrassment.)

Wanting to fornicate with a woman for a few moments before departing isn't the same as wanting to be with her, the former sort of guy causes havoc because he has no real interest in sticking around, these sort of guys will get her pregnant and depart, letting the child grow up fatherless, since all that they were interested in is sex in the first place, this story is sadly all too common.

you are incorrect--there are many passive aggressive types who hate women but are afraid to do it openly because it will hurt their chances of having sex with one. there is not only one "type" of guy who hates women, or one single reason or cause for all the men that hate women. they all get there for different reasons and in their own ways. but the result is the same--the spewing of misogynistic hatred in places like wrongplanet and elsewhere. i don't care WHY each individual woman-hater hates me--i just don't want to have to listen to it anymore, everywhere i go. and i shouldn't have to.

You don't have to. You are free to skip over those posts. You aren't forced to read anything. Nobody has a right to not be offended. Everybody has a right to be stupid. I'm sick of reading and hearing PC BS everywhere I go, but you don't see me telling people to censor it. I just answer them back. That's what you should do too.

Fight your own battles. You actually have a chance of winning that way.

It's kind of ironic though isn't it? Feminism teaches that we can do what men can do and are equal to them. Why is a feminist asking a man to make the other men stop hurting her feelings?

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 9:20 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt1097.html

Every user who said to another user (after posting pics) things like "You are attractive / you are handsome / you look nice / looking good! " - should be labeled objectifiers - according to starving laws.

please stop putting words in my mouth, it's intellectually dishonest.

I was being sarcastic there, but seriously starvingartist... you should meet other women more often.

:scratch: what do you mean by that?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 9:23 pm

starvingartist wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
:salut:

If a specific woman desires that I don't compliment her on her beauty, because it "objectifies" her, then I won't do it. I don't see anything unnatural in that. I don't see how it's indicative of the "Patriarchy."

It would be swell, however, if the request is made in a nice, reasonable way, especially since my intention was not negative, and not meant to demean her, or to belittle her, in any way. What's fair is fair.

when you get random strangers telling you "nice tits" as you walk down the street every day to school or work, then come back here and tell women they should be "nicer" when men "compliment" them because they mean it in a nice way. it doesn't matter if you don't see it. what matters is most women telling you they don't like it and you not listening because you feel entitled to comment on someone else's body to them and expect to be thanked for it.

"Nice tits" is not a compliment. That's jackassery. There is an answer to that statement too. It's "Yeah, they are. Too bad you'll never touch them, needledick! Now go back in the bathroom with your 'Barely Legal"!"

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 9:25 pm

Hopper wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

If a specific woman desires that I don't compliment her on her beauty, because it "objectifies" her, then I won't do it. I don't see anything unnatural in that. I don't see how it's indicative of the "Patriarchy."

It would be swell, however, if the request is made in a nice, reasonable way, especially since my intention was not negative, and not meant to demean her, or to belittle her, in any way. What's fair is fair.

That you have decided a particular woman is honoured to be the recipient of a compliment on her physicality is already belittling her. The effect is to say 'I have the right to vocally pass judgement on how you look'. Given the volley of verbal and sometimes physical abuse a woman can face if she decides, in as 'nice and reasonable' a way as she is apparently required to do, that, actually, she doesn't much like her appearance being so commented on, she may decide it less bother to ignore or even fake a smile and thank you. It's how women are supposed to be, after all, no?

Being passed over for not being physically attractive to a particular person is not the same as being objectified. To objectify is to treat someone as an object rather than a subject.

I complment my friends and people I know all the time. I even compliment strangers. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't say "nice tits" though. As I said before, that's not a compliment.

Are we so f*****g PC now that we can't compliment people because we have different genitals???? Come on now.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 9:25 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
Klowglas wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:
Apart from which, the idea that a misogynist won't want to f**k women or find them attractive -- this is simply wrong. There are many guys who are genuinely contemptuous and resentful of women and find great pleasure in chasing and nailing them. It's viewed as a conquest, another way of reducing people to objects and inferiors.

(I'm hoping we can skip the parallel "I can't be racist, I have black friends" embarrassment.)

Wanting to fornicate with a woman for a few moments before departing isn't the same as wanting to be with her, the former sort of guy causes havoc because he has no real interest in sticking around, these sort of guys will get her pregnant and depart, letting the child grow up fatherless, since all that they were interested in is sex in the first place, this story is sadly all too common.

you are incorrect--there are many passive aggressive types who hate women but are afraid to do it openly because it will hurt their chances of having sex with one. there is not only one "type" of guy who hates women, or one single reason or cause for all the men that hate women. they all get there for different reasons and in their own ways. but the result is the same--the spewing of misogynistic hatred in places like wrongplanet and elsewhere. i don't care WHY each individual woman-hater hates me--i just don't want to have to listen to it anymore, everywhere i go. and i shouldn't have to.

You don't have to. You are free to skip over those posts. You aren't forced to read anything. Nobody has a right to not be offended. Everybody has a right to be stupid. I'm sick of reading and hearing PC BS everywhere I go, but you don't see me telling people to censor it. I just answer them back. That's what you should do too.

Fight your own battles. You actually have a chance of winning that way.

isn't that exactly what i'm doing, with the post i made yesterday in women's discussion--fighting my own battles? looking for allies, certainly, but trying to take action to create positive change--does that not qualify as standing up for myself?

OliveOilMom wrote:
It's kind of ironic though isn't it? Feminism teaches that we can do what men can do and are equal to them. Why is a feminist asking a man to make the other men stop hurting her feelings?

first of all not all the moderators are male, i believe--secondly, the creator of the site is the only one who can make policy changes, and he happens to be male. there is no need for you to be so rude.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 9:29 pm

starvingartist wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
There's alot of misunderstanding about what objectification is.

You're hair looks nice like that, seems like a nice thing to say or maybe I like your dress, you look lovely.

What a great deal of women find offensive is a stranger walking past and nudging his mate and saying, nice tits eh? Or I'd shag that.

it's not just that--it's the constant reinforcement everywhere you go that, as a woman, your worth is measured by how physically attractive you are to males, and who you are as a person is irrelevant compared to that. and you are reminded of that every time some strange man feels the need to tell you he finds you physically attractive like you're supposed to be grateful for that, because some random person thinks you're f**k-worthy. it's absurd.

Sounds like a personal problem to me, and not the problem of the entire female sex. I'm not at all pretty and I don't mind a compliment, or when other people get compliments. You, on the other hand, are pretty, if that's you in your avatar. Uh oh, I'm gonna be objectifying now or something.

Don't project all your problems off onto the rest of us just because a few people feel like you do. I hate sexists just as much as you do. I just happen to deal with them directly rather than run to somebody else to do something about it.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 9:29 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

when you get random strangers telling you "nice tits" as you walk down the street every day to school or work, then come back here and tell women they should be "nicer" when men "compliment" them because they mean it in a nice way. it doesn't matter if you don't see it. what matters is most women telling you they don't like it and you not listening because you feel entitled to comment on someone else's body to them and expect to be thanked for it.

"Nice tits" is not a compliment. That's jackassery. There is an answer to that statement too. It's "Yeah, they are. Too bad you'll never touch them, needledick! Now go back in the bathroom with your 'Barely Legal"!"

so now you're going to tell me how i'm supposed to deal with the sexual harassment i encounter when i go out--this is rich. who the f**k are you to tell me i should feel safe enough to speak back to men in public when i am alone? and how do you know how many times i have spoken back in such circumstances only to be threatened physically? how do you know how many times i've been followed home at night by strange men, and how i dealt with that? just who the f**k do you think you are?????

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 9:32 pm

Hopper wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Women are measured on how physically attractive they are, so are men. I don't really like the fact that it is so--but it is so.

I

If you don't like it, then why do you do it? Indeed, why do you bring the woman into it by letting her know your opinion on how she looks?

If a strange man gave me a compliment, it would make my day. Or a strange woman. It's the same with most of the other ladies and girls I know.

It's nice to be told you are pretty or that somebody likes something you are wearing!

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 9:33 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Try living in an environment where you never, ever have to put up with this kind of s**t, or bother fighting with it, and I bet you won't go back.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 9:34 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
There's alot of misunderstanding about what objectification is.

You're hair looks nice like that, seems like a nice thing to say or maybe I like your dress, you look lovely.

What a great deal of women find offensive is a stranger walking past and nudging his mate and saying, nice tits eh? Or I'd shag that.

it's not just that--it's the constant reinforcement everywhere you go that, as a woman, your worth is measured by how physically attractive you are to males, and who you are as a person is irrelevant compared to that. and you are reminded of that every time some strange man feels the need to tell you he finds you physically attractive like you're supposed to be grateful for that, because some random person thinks you're f**k-worthy. it's absurd.

Sounds like a personal problem to me, and not the problem of the entire female sex. I'm not at all pretty and I don't mind a compliment, or when other people get compliments. You, on the other hand, are pretty, if that's you in your avatar. Uh oh, I'm gonna be objectifying now or something.

Don't project all your problems off onto the rest of us just because a few people feel like you do. I hate sexists just as much as you do. I just happen to deal with them directly rather than run to somebody else to do something about it.

when my father tried to hit me the first time, i never back down from him, and i have yet to back down from a man since--that doesn't mean i think i should have to spend the rest of my life not backing down from men who threaten me because they can't help themselves or whatever BS excuse you're going to offer up next. stop trying to call my a coward sideways, you don't know me or my history.

(edit* the first time my father tried to hit me was also the last time, because i promised him if he ever laid his hands on me again i would kill him--and i meant it. he believed me.)

Last edited by starvingartist on 23 May 2014, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 9:35 pm

starvingartist wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It's OBVIOUS that a man shouldn't say "nice tits" in the street to a woman--obviously, the guy in this instance should be told off immediately, or worse. He is "objectifying" the woman in a negative way.

What I meant was very specific: that if a man compliments a woman in a nice way, not cat-calling in the street, but in a graceful manner, he should expect the same treatment in return.

Saying "nice tits" in a cat-calling manner is NOT the same as complimenting a woman on her hair in a social setting.

By the way, men ARE honored when they are complimented by woman on how they look. It is not an assumption--it is a fact in most cases.

maybe some men do feel that way, as you do--i don't think you can speak for all of them, however. and even if you could--women are telling you right now they don't like it. please listen, and stop doing it, and stop asking us to be nice to you when you do.

You are all women? A lot of women (friends, colleagues, coworkers...etc) got sad and disappointed every time I don't notice or say anything about their new hairstyle (in fact, I never did), they expect men in their social circle to notice and to compliment their new hair stuff every time.

i am not all women, obviously--i am simply expressing a desire that has been expressed by countless other women all over the world for decades now, which is "please stop valuing us on our looks and try to see as human beings". surely this is not the first time you've heard such a sentiment from a woman? perhaps it is more common where you live for women to value the judgments of the men in their lives on their physical appearance--but the situation you are describing is between acquaintances. i am talking about approaching strangers just to tell them you find them attractive. that--attention based on our appearance from strange men--is not welcome from most of the women i have known, and i think many of the women on this forum as well. to any women reading this: if i am wrong, please correct me.

Thats not what you're asking Alex to moderate. You're asking him to moderate comments you find sexist.

So, is all this about some guy saying "Nice tits" and you not saying something back? Is this your way of making yourself feel better about not answering?

If we have comments moderated for sexism, then we need a panel of women to define the parameters for that before it becomes "If a female complains, remove it".