Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

DavidCook
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 May 2014, 3:07 pm

Calling all people with experience in dating! I think me and many other people could use some in-depth advice about how to meet someone and the process of going from being acquaintances to being in a relationship. Love may not be an exact science, but there are probably some important guidelines to follow. I encourage all of you to share your ideas and comments. Thanks!

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 11:41 am

1) How to meet someone
ANYWHERE! A lot of us use the dating sites but you really do need to take advantage of any opportunity that arises. I met my first girlfriend at a university open day, I met my present girlfriend at the gym and apart from dating sites I've met women on the train, at work, whilst giving English lessons and at the local English club. Above all you need to practice your conversation skills so that when someone comes along you are relaxed and not too nervous.

2) How to turn an acquaintance into a relationship
You take your time, these things cannot be rushed and there is no magic formula. If it works, great, if it doesn't work then you stay friends (this is important) and then find someone else.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 4:25 pm

My advice, really, is not to force the issue.

Join clubs, especially those which emphasize your "special interest." Join an opera club, join an anime club, whatever. You'll find people with common interests.

Also: maintain a modicum of hygiene. Wear decent clothes (jeans and sweaters are great in the winter; you could get away with lots!) In the summer, polo shirts and chinos are the best. Don't wear plaid shirts!

I used to try to force things--I would be swatted away like I was a gnat. I'm a short guy, and I was immature when I was in my 20's. I had tremendous difficulty getting dates.

However, one day, I just walked into a bar, and started playing pool. I started having conversations with people. Ladies started having conversations with the people I played pool with. By osmosis, they all started having conversations with me.

I didn't get a date that night---but it increased my confidence.

Forcing the issue=gnat to the ladies

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 5:10 pm

How to meet someone: Walk outside
How to make acquaintances: say "hello" to people outside
How to go from acquaintances to relationship: By magic!

I'd help more but I'm not exactly in the know myself...online dating's about all I know how to do and it hasn't yielded much