Anyone had any good experiences with online dating?

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 5:53 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Coolguy wrote:
In my experience, you have to have success with meeting and dating girls in the real world before you can meet girls online. That's just how it is.

That's not to say online dating will never work, but you're chances without having any real world experience are too low to make it worthwhile imo.

I don't buy that for a second.

I've never asked a guy out in public. Granted, I've had many conversations with strangers - that's never a problem - but I've never asked a guy out in public. Meanwhile I can connect with someone online and arrange for a date via email no problem.

I don't see how this would be any different for someone to do with a girl.

I think Coolguy is right.

Gay approaching dynamics are probably different.

businezguy
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2014, 11:09 am

I'm going to go ahead and add to the positive dating experience. I went on a date last night from eharmony and just as GiantHockeyFan stated, she was exactly as she presented herself in her profile. The mutual interests we shared over the phone existed in person. While there were some "awkward" silences during the date, they were few and far between, and that's pretty good for a 2 and a 1/2 hour date. When there were those silences, I think we both had the attitude that this will happen on a first date, so really they weren't awkward at all.

I'd have to say the ending of the date was the most awkward part because she may have been offering for me to stay over which I would have loved, but I totally didn't read between the lines and had a potential lost opportunity. That's fine, I messaged her and she said she wants a second date, so another opportunity will present itself. So far I'm interested in her enough to say we may have the potential to go well beyond 2 dates, but it's too premature to tell.

I'm optimistic, and would recommend others to try online dating as well if you have trouble (like I do) and creating more spontaneous opportunities. The fact is, you have control over the experience. I picked the restaurant, I brought the flowers, and initiated contact with a hug, etc. As a man, if you look at dating as kind of a "job interview" but on a more personal level, then I'd say you have a good view of the early stages of dating. As the relationship progresses, you'll get out of the "job interview" stage and she'll come to know you and trust you.

I wish you all the best of luck, and hopefully I've added at least a tiny bit of encouragement.

ypi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jul 2014, 4:17 pm

Tried once, didn't go well.
Real life may seem hard but is surely my favorite way to know someone.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2014, 7:08 pm

I met my husband on Phantasy Star Online. :lol:
(old video game, you probably need to be at least 30 to remember it)

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2014, 11:46 pm

I've known a number of people who got serious with someone online before even meeting them. Thus far, all are doing well.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2014, 1:03 am

vickygleitz wrote:
I've known a number of people who got serious with someone online before even meeting them. Thus far, all are doing well.

Doing well online or doing well in person?

I never really understood "online relationships". (I mean - even less than I understood real-world ones. :lol:) If they think they are "serious" online then, to me, it just sounds like they are serious about the fantasy of a person, not a real person. Sure, the fantasy may match the reality, but more likely not - that's how fantasies tend to be.