Being in a four year relationship

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2014, 1:43 pm

Just wondering if anyone who has been in a long term relationship with an NT with AS traits can help. My fiance and I have been together for four years. I have ASD but he is mixed NT and ASD. For example, he also does not understand social situations and needs to stim to recharge... but he is not ASD in that he sticks to schedules etc. Anyway, my question is: Is it normal for someone in this type of relationship to not spend that much time together and be ok with it. For example, he gets off work at 5, goes to karate with his son and then comes home for dinner. After dinner we may cuddle or sit next to each other while playing on our tablets, or I may go do my own thing and just let him be. I guess it does not feel like we spend that much time together and I was wondering if it was normal for a couple.. that may both have ASD?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 8:24 pm

It sounds like you give each other adequate space.

As long as you're both okay with the situation, why fix what ain't broke?

djw2398
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jul 2014, 1:07 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It sounds like you give each other adequate space.

As long as you're both okay with the situation, why fix what ain't broke?

Exactly. I'm wondering though, since you took the time to post this, if you want to be spending more time with him? If so, just tell him. I wouldn't worry about societal conventions, just be true to what he wants and what you want. Discuss it with him and I'm sure you could come to an agreement that suits both of you. :)