Do the majority of guys with A.S. never get a girlfriend?

Page 3 of 18 [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next

italstallianion
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2014, 8:22 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I hate how society thinks guys are not real men until they have done it with a woman. I even read that some parents go so far as to hiring a hooker for their son to sleep with for their birthday. I guess things are a little easier for me because I'm female but only because of the myth that all women hate sex unless they're nymphomaniacs refuses to die.

I also agree with this. I mean I'm a nice guy, I work hard, I'm reasonably intelligent and funny, but I still feel worthless because women don't like me. I should be able to be happy with my own life, but I feel like I have to get married, have kids and live a "normal" life. And God forbid if my male friends know how little action I get. I die inside a little when I have to lie about being with women. I should only have to worry about me and not what a bunch of women think about me. And whenever girls reject me I just want to cut myself, when in reality I shouldn't need them. They clearly don't need me.

Honestly if someone told me that women just don't like sex, I'd believe it. Since in my world, women don't have sex. Women only have sex in contexts completely independent from my world.

now I think I am finally clean. #Dat Angst

italstallianion
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2014, 8:28 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
yes but the instinctual natural desire to want a sexual relationship just does not go away

Yeah, I wish I could either be an autistic robot, or a human being, but not a mutant hybrid of the two. Like if I could either want to be alone, and thus be happy with being alone, or if I could be not weird enough so that girls like me so that I can get married and be happy that way. But as it stands I have all of this angst because I want to be in a relationship, but I'm all Aspie and weird and crap and women don't like me. I wish I could have it all one way or another instead of having half of me want one and half of me want the other.

now I think I am finally clean. #Dat Angst

Jjancee
Raven
Raven

04 Sep 2014, 10:09 pm

italstallianion wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
I hate how society thinks guys are not real men until they have done it with a woman. I even read that some parents go so far as to hiring a hooker for their son to sleep with for their birthday. I guess things are a little easier for me because I'm female but only because of the myth that all women hate sex unless they're nymphomaniacs refuses to die.

I also agree with this. I mean I'm a nice guy, I work hard, I'm reasonably intelligent and funny, but I still feel worthless because women don't like me. I should be able to be happy with my own life, but I feel like I have to get married, have kids and live a "normal" life. And God forbid if my male friends know how little action I get. I die inside a little when I have to lie about being with women. I should only have to worry about me and not what a bunch of women think about me. And whenever girls reject me I just want to cut myself, when in reality I shouldn't need them. They clearly don't need me.

Honestly if someone told me that women just don't like sex, I'd believe it. Since in my world, women don't have sex. Women only have sex in contexts completely independent from my world.

The fact that you're describing yourself as a "nice guy" means that you're probably NOT a nice guy. You are very likely an over-entitled and totally-desperate-not-a-nice-guy and woman are (sensibly!!) staying far far away from you as a result.

I cannot tell you how many guys at work moan and complain that they dress nice, work hard and don't get why girls avoid them and instead date so-and-so whom they straight-up tell me is "less tall, less nicely dressed, more jerk-like" than they are.

Umm, nope. Not by a long shot. So-and-so may well be shorter, wear in ironed shirts but he's also got a fun personality, an interesting hobby, a self-deprecating sense of humor and an extra ticket to a chili cook off or his kid sister's playoff softball game!

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 11:11 pm

lotusblossom wrote:
I dont think getting a relationship is so much the problem so much as whether an aspie man would actually like it.

I think most aspie men would be better off setting themselves up in a nice little flat, done out how they like, with all their hobbies around them.

I think most aspie men would get more out of reading a book on their interest, whilst eating their favourite food in nice quiteness rather than the continual sacrifices and self censure they would have to make in a relationship

All that sacrifice wouldnt lead to a nice life anyway as they probably would not like a noisy house full of kids, demanding partner wanting loving attention and less moneys for hobbies, horrible dinners that you hate but your wife and kids love, people moving your things, going on at you through your whole waking hours, constant nagging, no time for yourself.

no get a nice place for yourself and do things to please yourself and if you get someone who wants to casually date perhaps stretch to that but I dont think most aspies would really like a proper relationship and what it leads to.

no thanks, your suggestion sounds like hell to me i do not want to be alone in my room.
I have no problem wtih having a live in gf, as long as we would still be able to enjoy our hobbies. people can't really spend all their not at work time cuddling right? pretty much all we did for the days she stayed her, which was ok but day 5 I was desiring to do one of my hobbies. maybe cuddling while both eing on our laptops would work.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 11:14 pm

Jjancee wrote:
italstallianion wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

The fact that you're describing yourself as a "nice guy" means that you're probably NOT a nice guy. You are very likely an over-entitled and totally-desperate-not-a-nice-guy and woman are (sensibly!!) staying far far away from you as a result.

I cannot tell you how many guys at work moan and complain that they dress nice, work hard and don't get why girls avoid them and instead date so-and-so whom they straight-up tell me is "less tall, less nicely dressed, more jerk-like" than they are.

Umm, nope. Not by a long shot. So-and-so may well be shorter, wear in ironed shirts but he's also got a fun personality, an interesting hobby, a self-deprecating sense of humor and an extra ticket to a chili cook off or his kid sister's playoff softball game!

wish people would stop with this, nice guy means a guy who is nice. does nice things without wanting anything in return. people call people nice guys all the time. "thanks for helping me out steve, you're such a nice guy" "you're such a nice guy for helping those kids"

so if you talking about selfish entitled jerks, then please refer to them as such. I call my self a nice guy cause thats what everyone else says about me. I almost never do things expecting something in return(though everyone does once and a while)

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 11:17 pm

I also hate how wanting validation makes a guy look weak

qFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Sep 2014, 2:56 am

Jjancee wrote:
italstallianion wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

This trope again, I find it surprising how many people somehow can smell through the internet how someone really is.

It's more like virtual bullying if nothing else.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 4:42 am

qFox wrote:
Jjancee wrote:
italstallianion wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

This trope again, I find it surprising how many people somehow can smell through the internet how someone really is.

It's more like virtual bullying if nothing else.

Yes, he never even said he's entitled to anything from women.

I've learned to never use the "I am a nice guy" sentence because smartasses like Jjancee would jump down your throat and judge me.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 4:52 am

tarantella64 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Like that woman for example:
http://www.experienceproject.com/storie ... me/2950772

She complains about his robotic behavior, yet by reading the first part of her thread it's obvious why her marriage is destined for failure: She married him because she was desperate for a relationship, money, and certain lifestyle he could provide. That's the recipe for a failed marriage right there, from the very beginning.

This looks like a pretty mild complaint, actually, next to many I've seen. But if you look at this, for instance, from her post:

"Also during the early years I found that the "typical bachelor" behaviors were not in place because he was a bachelor but because he was somehow impaired. He didn't have poor hygiene because he'd gotten into a lazy habit, something which married life would renew or spark an interest in himself and his surroundings, but it was because he couldn't assess himself to determine whether or not he was clean, and further, did not have a sense in his worldview of "clean." He would brush his teeth, with a tiny dot of toothpaste (to save money), and as long as the toothbrush entered his mouth and he rubbed it around, then his teeth were brushed. There was never an assessment to know whether or not his teeth were actually clean, and even having a mouth full of cavities and regular plaque buildup, he never "connected" the two. As far as he was concerned, he brushed twice a day and had a lot of plaque and cavities. No further analysis, observation, or development of the idea ever crossed his mind."

Or this, from another:

"1) Brunt and pointed emotion without self awareness: Fighting with my husband continues to be a learning process to me as I filter his words through my heart, careful to guard myself, but not always succeeding. His anger can flare up and be intense. He. must. get. his. point. across.

In that process, I think self awareness takes a seat on the furthermost back burner. While I am standing in his blazing glory of anger, it's difficult to temper the hurt, while controlling my own emotions....which leads to the second point.

2) T i t for tat is not always that: His hypersensitivity to my affect and verbal behavior is aggravating and discouraging. He can sound off like a trumpet followed with explicatives that drift out into the atmosphere. My voice slightly flares in tone and pitch and all of a sudden he's concerned I am possessed and hysterical. Ok I jest a little, but perhaps you can relate."

This is from a guy about his wife:

"I have been seeing a therapist now for about 5 months at my wife's request. She has told me for a long time that I have anger issues. I have learned to not get angry but I still didn't understand her lack of empathy and the way she shuts down upon conflict. "

Or:

" His intense love and devotion to me mixed with no ability to communicate feelings and respond to my romantic , sexual and emotional needs has been devastating."

Or:

"He's ruthlessly honest. Worse than brutal. The honesty in his statements causes scarring. But he is just as honest in his feelings for me, I know that he loves me. I have such ambivalent feelings about this relationship. He says things like "I don't know if I want to marry you because I'm worried that you are going to get fat after you have kids." If I were 10 years younger that statement might lead to an eating disorder. At least at this age it just makes me paranoid and angry. (FYI- I am already a very active and fit woman.) He says things like, "I don't respect the way that you spend your free time", "I don't know how to make myself be interested in talking to you." or "You know what you should have done...". And yet he seems incapable of understanding the devistating emotional impact of these types of statements."

None of these other people say anything about abuse, alcoholism, marrying a wallet, etc. And it goes on and on. I dunno, Boo, I don't see how the denial is helpful.

You need to check the history of WP.

Many old active users here can confirm what I am saying here, I am not inventing anything.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 5:43 am

italstallianion wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
italstallianion wrote:
I'm 26 and I've been in a few "kinda, sorta, but not really's" in terms of relationships, but I know other Aspie guys that are in long term relationships or have dated in the past. It might be hopeless for me, but it's not necessarily hopeless for male Aspies in general.

It's not that uncommon (as in not sensational), but most aspie men (~80%) probably never have a serious relationship. Getting laid doesn't require social status, a large circle of friends, or anything like that (a single girl who's horny enough will sleep with you if she thinks you're attractive), which effectively turns it into "not that big of a deal".

Eh, for me getting laid is just as impossible as finding love. Society wants a whole want of bullcrap that it's just not worth it. I always get feelings for girls that don't see me as anything more than a friend. And being in the friendzone is a death sentence. Then again I'm not attractive so maybe attractive guys see a different world than I do.

A girl that's merely a one-night stand doesn't have to know about your confidence, how many friends you have, or anything like that.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 8:31 am

tarantella64 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

She complains about his robotic behavior, yet by reading the first part of her thread it's obvious why her marriage is destined for failure: She married him because she was desperate for a relationship, money, and certain lifestyle he could provide. That's the recipe for a failed marriage right there, from the very beginning.

This looks like a pretty mild complaint, actually, next to many I've seen. But if you look at this, for instance, from her post:

"Also during the early years I found that the "typical bachelor" behaviors were not in place because he was a bachelor but because he was somehow impaired. He didn't have poor hygiene because he'd gotten into a lazy habit, something which married life would renew or spark an interest in himself and his surroundings, but it was because he couldn't assess himself to determine whether or not he was clean, and further, did not have a sense in his worldview of "clean." He would brush his teeth, with a tiny dot of toothpaste (to save money), and as long as the toothbrush entered his mouth and he rubbed it around, then his teeth were brushed. There was never an assessment to know whether or not his teeth were actually clean, and even having a mouth full of cavities and regular plaque buildup, he never "connected" the two. As far as he was concerned, he brushed twice a day and had a lot of plaque and cavities. No further analysis, observation, or development of the idea ever crossed his mind."

More Aspie bashing, how wonderful. These is not symptoms of asperger's at all. She compares him with a chimpanzee imitating washing dishes but doesn't understand that the goal is to get them clean. This is utter nonsense, of course we know that the goal of washing is to get them clean, that is absolutely not a symptom of asperger's. Also, did you know that most adults don't really know how to brush their teeth efficiently? Yes, we all know that goal of brushing is to get the plaque off but it's actually difficult to do it efficiently and most people are still left with some of it in places they couldn't get to with the toothbrush. Also, some people are just careless with that.

Edit: I just wanted to add, some AS folk do have poor hygiene but mostly because of rigid routines. If this is the case for guy spoken about here, then it's something that he can and should change.

tarantella64 wrote:
Or this, from another:

"1) Brunt and pointed emotion without self awareness: Fighting with my husband continues to be a learning process to me as I filter his words through my heart, careful to guard myself, but not always succeeding. His anger can flare up and be intense. He. must. get. his. point. across.

In that process, I think self awareness takes a seat on the furthermost back burner. While I am standing in his blazing glory of anger, it's difficult to temper the hurt, while controlling my own emotions....which leads to the second point.

Anger is not a symptom of any autistic spectrum disorder, i don't know the context of that is.

tarantella64 wrote:
2) T i t for tat is not always that: His hypersensitivity to my affect and verbal behavior is aggravating and discouraging. He can sound off like a trumpet followed with explicatives that drift out into the atmosphere. My voice slightly flares in tone and pitch and all of a sudden he's concerned I am possessed and hysterical. Ok I jest a little, but perhaps you can relate."

tarantella64 wrote:
This is from a guy about his wife:

"I have been seeing a therapist now for about 5 months at my wife's request. She has told me for a long time that I have anger issues. I have learned to not get angry but I still didn't understand her lack of empathy and the way she shuts down upon conflict. "

Lack of communication, communicate it verbally. This is where NT partners seem to expect the one with AS to mind-read, whereas they don't as easily pick up non-verbal cues.

tarantella64 wrote:
Or:

" His intense love and devotion to me mixed with no ability to communicate feelings and respond to my romantic , sexual and emotional needs has been devastating."

Same as previous point.

tarantella64 wrote:
Or:

"He's ruthlessly honest. Worse than brutal. The honesty in his statements causes scarring. But he is just as honest in his feelings for me, I know that he loves me. I have such ambivalent feelings about this relationship. He says things like "I don't know if I want to marry you because I'm worried that you are going to get fat after you have kids." If I were 10 years younger that statement might lead to an eating disorder. At least at this age it just makes me paranoid and angry. (FYI- I am already a very active and fit woman.) He says things like, "I don't respect the way that you spend your free time", "I don't know how to make myself be interested in talking to you." or "You know what you should have done...". And yet he seems incapable of understanding the devistating emotional impact of these types of statements."

None of these other people say anything about abuse, alcoholism, marrying a wallet, etc. And it goes on and on. I dunno, Boo, I don't see how the denial is helpful.

Aspie brutal honesty. He's not going to tell even white lies and I suggest you don't teach him to. It's something that you'll have to learn to live with. But something like "I don't know if I want to marry you because I'm worried that you are going to get fat after you have kids." is a bit of a strange one to me. It could be that that is a misunderstanding, I would ask him what he means by that. In fact, generally just talk to him if he says something that bothers you.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 11:34 am

I would have thought some study would provide statistics to answer this question, but I can't easily find any. Hmm... As one data point, I've never had a girlfriend and the prospects of ever having one seem utterly, utterly hopeless.

I was just sitting here today feeling terrible about it (I mean - more than usual :roll:), but then I read this:

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

It genuinely made me feel a little better. Thank you, Boo, for reminding me that it can always be worse. I could be stuck in a horrible, life-sucking marriage with a toxic person, but I'm not!

I've often wondered how all these guys (not just aspie guys) that seem so unattractive, even downright horrible, in so many ways end up in relationships. Maybe it happens like in the story above - "I wanted to be in a relationship and needed money". Hard to imagine that explaining all such cases, but it's one possibility. Or maybe they do have other good qualities that I fail to see.

I wonder if I could get such a relationship. Not that I'd want to, but I just wonder whether I could, if I wanted to. I've always just assumed "yes", but now I'm not even sure of that any more. I mean, how does one go about it? Do you post a Craiglist ad saying "hey, I'll take any woman who will have me, will financially support her and won't beat her"? These guys, for all their faults, still navigated the whole courting process somehow.

TheWadeSmellbringer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2014, 12:52 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
yes but the instinctual natural desire to want a sexual relationship just does not go away

I don't really have that urge in me, I just want to find someone to spend the rest of my life with. But still it can be frustrating, especially when you're freindzoned, I'm sorry I meant the "I don't want to ruin the friendship" zone.

My Youtube Channel

My V-Log Channel

[url=thewadesmellbringer.tumblr.com]My Tumblr Blog[/url]

autismthinker21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 1:17 pm

marriage one guy told me is not fun. it's really bogus and stupid after years. i guess you just have to deal with what society is.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 3:14 pm

jono, I don't know if you realize it, but you've managed to underscore every point the NT spouses are making. You're standing there saying "this is not a problem" or "this isn't anything about AS" or "it's the right way to be" without at all addressing the fact that they're seriously problematic behaviors in a marriage (and that yes, they're all behaviors found regularly in people with AS). Result: divorce. So we go back to the OP.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 3:46 pm

tarantella64 wrote:
jono, I don't know if you realize it, but you've managed to underscore every point the NT spouses are making. You're standing there saying "this is not a problem" or "this isn't anything about AS" or "it's the right way to be" without at all addressing the fact that they're seriously problematic behaviors in a marriage (and that yes, they're all behaviors found regularly in people with AS). Result: divorce. So we go back to the OP.

No, I gave advice saying that if they're not picking up on non-verbal cues, then they should communicate verbally or otherwise how to deal with it. They often expect the AS spouse to read their minds without them themselves doing anything at all to communicate with the AS spouse to tell them what they want. Also, I'm just saying what is from my perspective as someone with AS. Why should it always be the AS spouse that must do 100% of all the work in "changing" while the NT spouse does nothing to accommodate them. The fact is, AS is how your brain is wired, so they're not going to change into NT's regardless of how much you want them to. They have to have some understanding of their issues and how AS affects them, they also have to understand where they're coming from but moreover, they have to be willing to compromise themselves, which more often than not, the ones who just want divorce do not want to do. I've seen too many NT spouses of AS partners who complain about their AS spouses lacking empathy but from what they write about their AS spouses, they appear to have absolutely 0 empathy themselves.

Last edited by Jono on 05 Sep 2014, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.