Hardest thing for you related to relationships

Page 5 of 7 [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 3:24 pm

The hardest thing for me about relationships is giving enough of a s**t for it to be considered a relationship. It's not that I don't want a partner, because I do... it's just that I have a hard time connecting with people. If I don't connect, I don't really care. :shrug:

grbiker
Raven
Raven

20 Nov 2014, 4:35 pm

Main problem is finding the right person, right behind that is making a move.

When I've been successful at getting a relationship, keeping them has only been a problem when stretched out to 5-10 years.

King_oni
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Nov 2014, 6:02 pm

Here's an interesting problem I've been noticing more recently ever since I broke up.

I constantly end up in the most awesome conversations with women of whom I think; yeah... you're cute and all, but you live.. like on the other side of the ocean!

Long distance, sure thing, but I like to meet up regularly, lol. I dated someone who lived 100 miles from me and that was fine... needing to travel that distance to catch a flight, not to mention pawn off a kidney to pay for travel expenses doesn't help a lot.

Aside from practical issues obviously. if I had a job it'd be hard to relocate on such a distance, and if you don't have a job but have government support, it's hard to start anew elsewhere in another country, cause I don't expect governments to be happy to grant citizenship to people who are not contributing to that economy.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 2:48 pm

meeting women, and unfortuneately the women i'm attracted to on Plentyoffish and OkCupid are women that have loads of options with men, unfortuneately we can't control who we are attracted to

B19
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 2:54 pm

Maybe you are fishing in the wrong places? I found Meet-Up had groups which suited me as a person on the ASD spectrum, and looking for friends was the way that I stumbled into a very lovely relationship. I wouldn't go near dating sites, though that's just my personal view.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

23 Nov 2014, 3:28 pm

Fun question that makes me think of more questions :D .

Relationships, and jobs are easy for me to get. The rest is a downhill climb.

I really like a good relationship for about the first week.

A new job for about the first month.

Probably because I have a need for companionship, and a hate for the jobs I have had. Then I realize why I'm single, and why I hate my job in the first place. Everything begins and ends again. I would like to think it is not me, but it is. I would like to think if I met someone like me, things would be different, but I don't know if that could happen, or if I would be right about it. More like a test, or an experiment just to see?

If I could change something, I do not know if it would be the right thing to do, or if I could, because I'm me.

Probably just materialistic personal stuff anyways. Faster car, more tools, smaller house, bigger garage, 52 inch military tires, Etc...

I would like to have a meaningful relationship with a significant other, but that to me would be hindsight, and this is the planet earth, so I won't get my hopes up. I tried it again recently. Twice. And a few other options. Vvvvvvvery short lived.

I would really like to get out more.

Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Bruce Lee.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 3:29 pm

Haha. Double post. Some things never change 8)

Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Bruce Lee.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 4:13 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
The hardest thing for me about relationships is giving enough of a s**t for it to be considered a relationship. It's not that I don't want a partner, because I do... it's just that I have a hard time connecting with people. If I don't connect, I don't really care. :shrug:

Wow, you've just described every relationship I've had since I was about 16.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 4:58 pm

Vomelche wrote:
Quote:
You are right about that. I usually don't judge very quickly but I often get turned off by the guy because he later seems to lack that intellectual mindset. The hunger for wisdom. Plenty of intelligent guys turn me off as well, because they might be smart on paper but they lack an intellectual, thoughtful, curious mindset and assume that 'it's okay because that's just the way it is'. No, it's not. And if a guys stops thinking there, the dating stops there. I am not interested in arguing with someone with a 'it's just the way it is' or 'it's normal so it's okay' or 'everyone does it so I'm right' kind of mindset. Those men exhaust me and can't satisfy my cognitive needs.

That is true. We also have the tendency to go into too much detail on things. This does not necessarily mean we are more intellectual, just that we like to dig deep and mine data on a particular subject.

I am exactly the same. I can't stand the, "It's a fact and no debating needed" crap. The "intellectuals" can have this massive insecurity about being wrong, and it makes them incredibly rigid and close-minded.

I'll add to that that I hate it even more when a man will change his opinion to fit mine. It is a pet hate of mine and it happens all the time. I really, really can't stand it. I can see when it's happening because it's obvious.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 5:50 pm

In my limited experience, wanting to debate stuff in depth, caring for all sorts of philosophical nuances, and not accepting absolute and permanent truths makes you look untrustworthy and cowardly. This might be why most people steer clear of it.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 6:16 pm

^^^.It is my neurotypical experience that you are supposed to lie, lie, lie, compliment, compliment, agree, agree, (yes dear), not trust, rummage, rummage. You will eventually find something you can hang over the others head, feel good, feel good. Me, me, me (I got that part down pat), kiss, kiss. Touchy feely, act like your interested, and always have something to say. Even if it is bad. We need the whole spectrum of emotions in order to fill up the day. You don't necessarily need to be smart about anything either. It just needs to look right, and roll off the tongue properly.

Just kidding.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 6:41 pm

Finding someone I like who likes me too

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 6:48 pm

^^^ WHAT?

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 6:51 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
In my limited experience, wanting to debate stuff in depth, caring for all sorts of philosophical nuances, and not accepting absolute and permanent truths makes you look untrustworthy and cowardly. This might be why most people steer clear of it.

I mean, how so?

CynicalWaffle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Nov 2014, 7:04 pm

smudge wrote:
Vomelche wrote:
Quote:
You are right about that. I usually don't judge very quickly but I often get turned off by the guy because he later seems to lack that intellectual mindset. The hunger for wisdom. Plenty of intelligent guys turn me off as well, because they might be smart on paper but they lack an intellectual, thoughtful, curious mindset and assume that 'it's okay because that's just the way it is'. No, it's not. And if a guys stops thinking there, the dating stops there. I am not interested in arguing with someone with a 'it's just the way it is' or 'it's normal so it's okay' or 'everyone does it so I'm right' kind of mindset. Those men exhaust me and can't satisfy my cognitive needs.

That is true. We also have the tendency to go into too much detail on things. This does not necessarily mean we are more intellectual, just that we like to dig deep and mine data on a particular subject.

I am exactly the same. I can't stand the, "It's a fact and no debating needed" crap. The "intellectuals" can have this massive insecurity about being wrong, and it makes them incredibly rigid and close-minded.

I'll add to that that I hate it even more when a man will change his opinion to fit mine. It is a pet hate of mine and it happens all the time. I really, really can't stand it. I can see when it's happening because it's obvious.

Okay, so if a man decides his opinion is right, and doesn't wanna debate it, he's wrong.

But if a man argues with you and changes his opinion because he saw that maybe it was more reasonable, he's still wrong?

Sounds legit, brosephine. :wink:

But anyway, I don't have a hard time with relationships because I find them to be worthless. Anything past a professional relationship is just asking for trouble. I feel bad for people who can't shut their hearts (or their reproductive organs) off and just be themselves without any inhibitions. I may be hated, but that means I can freely express my opinions and do whatever I want. Being single is the icing on the cake because I don't have to answer to anybody.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 7:10 pm

Misread it if you like, I'm not explaining the difference for you.