Not having a cell-phone sucks

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

FrankiDelano
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2014, 12:33 pm

I'm just gonna admit it: not having a cell-phone sucks, in terms of keeping in contact with potential relationships candidates (a term I like better than "prospective girlfriend/boyfriend"). I have a home phone but it's not always the most reliable of home phones, and I'm just not at my 24 hours a day most days. I think that it's something more for helping yourself "stay in contact" and not so much about "keeping in contact." I can keep contact with a person over emails, facebook, etc. but to be able to check up on those contacts whenever I want is what's most important, and vice versa for them to check on me whenever they want.

I don't know it's a hard thing for me to comprehend, but we are living in the 21st century. How important is it that you have a cell-phone for keeping in contact in people whom you could eventually develop a relationship with?

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 1:01 pm

Get a cell phone. I HATE cell phones. I HATE EVEN MORE the necessity for them. But I don't think we live in a day/time in which cell phones are mere luxuries anymore.

Something I'm resisting is moving to a smartphone. I have a plain, LG "flip phone" I can get texts on, send quick, simple texts as needed, and make professional contacts as they come up. I don't have a use for a smartphone at this time.

However, I'm also trying to move my business in a different direction, so pretty soon I'm going to need a social media presence a la Facebook, Twitter, etc., and will have to rely on those things to get the word out on where I'm playing gigs, album releases, etc. if I intend to make any kind of money doing what I'm doing. First I need a product to sell, so I'm not in a big hurry until I get some serious work behind me. But that also means it's going to be impossible to justify NOT having an iPhone. I'm just not going to do that until I'm bringing in the kind of money and staying busy enough to justify the expense of smartphones and data plans.

As far as dating goes, having a cell phone can only help you. You don't even need a smartphone since the most basic phones will at least allow you to keep a contact list. If you're just about meeting women/expanding your dating pool and so on, I'd personally put my money in old-fashioned pen and paper for keeping track of who is out there, who you go out with, and "fun facts" about those people you need to remember the next time you ask someone out. What I dislike about smartphones and social media is those places end up being space for negative people to air their dirty laundry. As long as you keep your private life off of Facebook and avoid people who can resist gossip, those are good tools that can only help you.

Anyway?mobile accounts are cheeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaap. You no longer have an excuse. Get a cell phone.

FrankiDelano
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2014, 3:30 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Get a cell phone. I HATE cell phones. I HATE EVEN MORE the necessity for them. But I don't think we live in a day/time in which cell phones are mere luxuries anymore.

Something I'm resisting is moving to a smartphone. I have a plain, LG "flip phone" I can get texts on, send quick, simple texts as needed, and make professional contacts as they come up. I don't have a use for a smartphone at this time.

However, I'm also trying to move my business in a different direction, so pretty soon I'm going to need a social media presence a la Facebook, Twitter, etc., and will have to rely on those things to get the word out on where I'm playing gigs, album releases, etc. if I intend to make any kind of money doing what I'm doing. First I need a product to sell, so I'm not in a big hurry until I get some serious work behind me. But that also means it's going to be impossible to justify NOT having an iPhone. I'm just not going to do that until I'm bringing in the kind of money and staying busy enough to justify the expense of smartphones and data plans.

As far as dating goes, having a cell phone can only help you. You don't even need a smartphone since the most basic phones will at least allow you to keep a contact list. If you're just about meeting women/expanding your dating pool and so on, I'd personally put my money in old-fashioned pen and paper for keeping track of who is out there, who you go out with, and "fun facts" about those people you need to remember the next time you ask someone out. What I dislike about smartphones and social media is those places end up being space for negative people to air their dirty laundry. As long as you keep your private life off of Facebook and avoid people who can resist gossip, those are good tools that can only help you.

Anyway?mobile accounts are cheeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaap. You no longer have an excuse. Get a cell phone.

I don't know whether to love this or declare blaspheme, but I can't find any room for error in your argument. So I guess I'll just have to follow through.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 4:06 pm

Well?I meant to say "people who CAN'T resist gossip?"

Other than that, I am absolutely, 99.98% right. lol

In my life, I have no room for toys, hence why I'm resisting going to a smartphone. But something you can just get calls/voicemail and texts on? Cell phones are tools, not toys. If it's not you, don't bother. But I think having a little more freedom to communicate with others can only help you.

Just don't do what other people do with phones and let your phone drain your IQ. I can't stand people walking around talking to air like mindless zombies with bluetooth cockroaches clipped to their ears. Or if you get a smartphone, don't walk around blasting hip hop music from the speaker. Seriously, why do people do that? I'll be on my way to Walmart when someone will randomly stop, holler "Guh!! !! Dis my JAM!! !" turn the speaker all the way up and start twerkin right in the middle of the crosswalk. Those things can turn you into an idiot pretty quick. Own your phone, don't let it own you.

King_oni
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Nov 2014, 4:22 pm

I don't have a landline, so a cellphone is pretty much my main way to make phonecalls. And considering I sometimes need to, it's very much a neccesity.

Cellphones can be had for less than the expense of a landline, so there's no argument to get a landline instead.

That said, I have a smartphone and I quite like it. Though most of the time it's on flightmode meaning it's not for calling or getting called. I use it more for photography than anything else.

I do agree with AngelRho; own your phone, don't let it own you. The temptation with a smartphone is n-times bigger to let it own you, but you just need to excercise a bit of caution initially I suppose. I can put my phone down and not look at it for a day and don't feel bad over it. Which doesn't mean that I don't do anything with it though; I have a few games on there, plenty of apps, but I'm good with my computer instead.

I also never understood the desire to put phones on speaker like a poor mans ghettoblaster...

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 5:41 pm

FrankiDelano wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

I don't know whether to love this or declare blaspheme, but I can't find any room for error in your argument. So I guess I'll just have to follow through.

Plus new gadgets are fun! I didn't have a phone until around 2012, and I was very late to the whole touch-screen party...when I got my phone I was blown away by the novelty, thought i was the only person in the universe with this sort of power in my pocket... until I rode the subway and I seen everyone else looking down at their phones...damnit...I thought I was the chosen one... :(

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 6:16 pm

A cell phone is not necessary for a relationship however it makes stuffs much easier. For example when you are going to met and your bus goes late you can tell about it to your boyfriend so he won't have to wait in rain. Stuffs like that.

I have a cellphone since I was a kid. In fact I was 1st kid with own cellphone in my class, it was back in 1999.
I was never a fan of phone talks though, the only person who I call are my parents or grandparents. And only when I need something from them. My phone talks take a few seconds and look like this:
- Grandma, are you home?
- Yes.
- Ok, then I will be there in 10 mins.
And then:
- Mom, will you pick me up?
- Ok.
- I will be waiting for you at grandma house then.
:lol:

Surprisingly I am not getting any phone talks either. People know I prefer talking though computer so they just send me fb messages. In fact I am faster to answer this than mobile phone. My phone is often silenced and I check it every evening at 12pm so if I see a missing call I just ignore it unless someone sends a sms of what he wanted - in that case I call them next day.
On the other hand I always answer my mails and fb messages as soon as I see them. Well, unless someone says just "hi" and nothing else. I always tell people - if you want to talk to me start a conversation yourself and don't "hi" me and wait till I say something. If they ignore it its their fault.

My phone bill is almost non-existant. Last time I loaded it about 2 years ago using 50PLN(amount an average person is supposed to spend in 3 months, it even comes with a free 2,25GB of free Internet!). I still have 24PLN to waste and lots of the internet transfer before I have to reload.
Fortunately my mobile phone provider allows prolonging the time of mobile phone use just by sending a sms once a year. It keeps the number active for next year. And in a year all you have to do is send the sms again and you have another year. And so on.

I simply like having mobile phone with me in case something happens or I need to use Internet while out. Nothing more.

andyfzr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2014, 2:01 am

I haven't got a cellphone, I don't see how you need one for a relationship as long as you have a contact home number. Also email and messenger is very good for keeping in contact.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 2:35 am

Buy an entry model, it doesn't have to be iphone or samsung galaxy.