Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 2:39 pm

That's funny, I am sure I stood 163 cm a decade ago at a doctor; last week I measured my height (at the doctor) for the first time ever since and I got 161 cm instead, I rechecked it few times at home with a roller ruller and got the same number. I dunno why I shrunk 2 cm but it's propably my mild scoliosis got less mild with age.
I am not sure how long I've been with this new height, it's not like I measure it every year (not even every 5 years) - it's just a number that got stuck in mind years ago and use it in all kinds of forms.

Now I recall some female users here claimed to be soooo good in "detecting" height-related lies on dating sites once meeting him for real with infallible accuracy even if it's by 0.5 cm! So I wonder, is it possible that I was "caught" in some of dates the last year and was assumed to be a liar or something? Also, couldn't be that a lot of guys shrink and don't follow up their height much yet got assumed to be liars by women?
(It's only one gender direcion here because I am pretty sure that if there's any slight different between in height between a woman's profile and real height, guys wouldn't even notice it upon seeing her).

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 3:21 pm

Maybe you were wearing shoes at that time and don't remember cause it was a decade ago. :idea:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 3:26 pm

I am sure the doctor would tell you to take them off.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 3:33 pm

Well they usually don't tell you to take them off when weighing you either in my experience, and then don't bother to subtract a few pounds for the clothes/shoes. However, I don't remember ever having my height measured at a doctor they just weighed me.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 3:45 pm

Do they really measure it that accurately? I know that even on my id card my height is off by 4cm or so, I didn't know my height at the time so they measured (guesstimated) it right there. The woman didn't even get up from behind her desk. Also, there is a difference whether you measure in the morning or in the evening, or so I've heard.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 12:25 am

I experienced a similar height loss at about the same age. About half an inch. I didn't look it up but thought I have read in passing that it is normal as one ages.

If I am not mistaken, Hulk Hogan lost 3 inches in height due to age and surgeries.

What goes up must come down.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 3:58 am

I've found this link:

Quote:
Abstract
PURPOSE:

The aim of the study was to analyze four radiographic methods of calculating the loss of body height associated with scoliosis.
METHODS:

Thirty patients with right thoracic idiopathic scoliosis were examined with standing postero-anterior radiographs. Cobb angles of the upper thoracic, main thoracic and lumbar curves were measured. The loss of body height due to scoliosis was measured directly on the radiographs and then calculated using the methods of Bjure, Kono, Stokes and Ylikoski, respectively. The reproducibility of calculations was tested. Detailed analysis of two patients with similar Cobb angle but different trunk height was performed.

RESULTS:The mean Cobb angle of the main thoracic curve was 46° (21°-74°). The mean loss of body height was 23 mm (11-43 mm) calculated by method of Bjure, 7 mm (-24 to 46 mm) by Kono, 20 mm (5-47 mm) by Stokes, 14 mm (3-36 mm) by Ylikoski, versus 18 mm (3-50 mm) measured directly on radiographs. The overall difference between the loss of body heights was significant (p < 0.0001), with significant differences in pairs for: Bjure versus Kono (p < 0.0001), Stokes versus Kono (p = 0.0002), Kono versus measured (p = 0.0061) and Bjure versus Ylikoski (p = 0.0386). Strong linear correlation between the methods was found (r ≥ 0.92; p < 0.0001). High reproducibility of height loss calculations was noticed. The two patients with similar Cobb angle and different trunk height revealed similar height loss calculated, while different loss measured on radiographs.

CONCLUSIONS:

There existed no overall agreement between the four methods of calculation of the loss of body height associated with scoliosis. Calculations based on the Cobb angle produced inaccuracy and could be supplemented with data considering trunk size.

lol at the differences

Got diagnosed at 15 and was 14 degrees at the time.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 5:28 pm

Toy_Soldier wrote:
I experienced a similar height loss at about the same age. About half an inch. I didn't look it up but thought I have read in passing that it is normal as one ages.

If I am not mistaken, Hulk Hogan lost 3 inches in height due to age and surgeries.

What goes up must come down.

Quote:
In Feb 2005 Allure interview he said: "I used to be 6ft 7, but after knee, neck and back surgeries I'm now about 6ft 4". This seems about right. Hogan was 6' 7 at his peak and now 6' 4 . Plus people lose height with age its a proven medical fact.

LoveforLoki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2014, 2:12 pm

I have lost almost 2 cm now and I have a feeling it will be more as I grow older.

I really hope those women are not so cruel to dislike you over a few centimeters difference, if so they were not worth your time.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 2:16 pm

You've been shrinkin' Honey Boo Boo!
Now I can put you in my mouth and eat you up!

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 2:39 pm

So for the ladies here (you know who you are) who have been quick to assume that the date you met through online dating was lying about their height because you could estimate that their height in real life by 1 or 2 cm or even 1 inch (and honestly I still don't believe you can do that without a ruler - some of you claimed that you could know from your own eyesight level) doesn't match 100% the number on their profile: Your assumption is most probably unfair:

- Height can change, the guy might have really shrank between the time he got his height and the moment he put it on profile (which might be years apart), most adults don't measure their height frequently and might haven't even checked for decades.

-He might have simply got his height slightly wrong and not really aware of it.

- If the person is really short, there's really no incentive for him to lie about height by adding 1 or 2 cm; a short person would still a short person even with the extra 2 or 3 cm; It's not like he would move up to "tall" or "medium" category in the women's eyes with this lie; the women who dislike short men would still dislike him.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 3:35 pm

I think everybody loses height as they age.I was an even five ft three,not that now.I don't have any idea why people would get ticky over an inch or two in height.Why would it even matter if you like the person?? If it was a really big difference,maybe I would question their honesty about other things.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 4:03 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I think everybody loses height as they age.I was an even five ft three,not that now.I don't have any idea why people would get ticky over an inch or two in height.Why would it even matter if you like the person?? If it was a really big difference,maybe I would question their honesty about other things.

Yes, if one got that ticky about it it only tells that she/he's too obsessive about the potential partner's height by the book. They (those WP users) claimed they got angry because it was a sign of "dishonesty" (while it might be simply height loss/or mistake) - but I don't believe them, those women are really height-obsessive to the point that they claim they can detect an inch off just by looking at the guy on a first date.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 4:11 pm

However, I am flying to Paris then Prague tomorrow, so I wonder if height might slightly change by altitude. :lol:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 4:23 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:
You've been shrinkin' Honey Boo Boo!
Now I can put you in my mouth and eat you up!

That's my fantasy.

Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 5:07 am

Better date now, shrink 1 more CM and you're doomed to be single forever..