Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 4:48 pm

Do you think the expression "there is someone for everyone" is offensive?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 6:10 pm

No....because I think it's true.

CACTCCP
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jan 2015, 6:29 pm

Although it can be true, that does not mean it can't be offensive. It depends in which context it is said I guess.

It however is a bit untactful: it gives the (potential) partner the idea he/she is not important, but only a number or an object that might be linked to you. The romantic view is that you found each other by accident...

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 7:12 pm

I find it naive and fluffy, not really offensive.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 3:00 am

its a impossible lie. there can't be someone for everyone, the numbers don't lie. it seems to be mostly said by people who know this but feel the need to say something to the person. I find it irritating and slightly depressing.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 3:15 am

sly279 wrote:
its a impossible lie. there can't be someone for everyone, the numbers don't lie. it seems to be mostly said by people who know this but feel the need to say something to the person. I find it irritating and slightly depressing.

What numbers don't lie? Do you happen to know that we have an odd number of people on the planet and thus there will be one person left out? Well, even if there are an odd number of people… maybe there's still someone for everyone - and two someone's for some people involved in 3 way poly love triangles.. so even if there are an odd number of people, there could still technically be someone for everyone.. so it can't be that you know there's an odd number of people.. and now we're right back where we started - which numbers are you talking about?

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 9:01 am

In the US, statistics show that 95% of all people who reach the age of 55 have been married at least once. So that leaves only 5% who don't marry (and even they might have romantic relationships without having been married.) So the "offensive expression" is a generality that probably seems close enough to true to the people who say it.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 11:56 am

I don't think it's offensive. It might be rather depressing for those who are alone and don't see that situation changing anytime soon.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 6:14 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
I find it naive and fluffy, not really offensive.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Echolalia
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jan 2015, 9:28 pm

Are we looking for things to be offended by? 8O

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 161 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 9:39 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

"There is someone for everyone?" Sweet sentiment, but I believe there is no one for anyone. This myth of total acceptance and bonding between two people is complete fantasy, propagated to give people false hope for meaning.
Better to quell this dillusion and get on with it.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 12:18 am

goldfish21 wrote:
sly279 wrote:

What numbers don't lie? Do you happen to know that we have an odd number of people on the planet and thus there will be one person left out? Well, even if there are an odd number of people… maybe there's still someone for everyone - and two someone's for some people involved in 3 way poly love triangles.. so even if there are an odd number of people, there could still technically be someone for everyone.. so it can't be that you know there's an odd number of people.. and now we're right back where we started - which numbers are you talking about?

some men have 50 wives and bunch of gfs on the side, some have 2, some have one wife and 5 gfs. then lets deal with china has like way more men than women do to aborting women as men continue the family line and thats what is most important. so the world has more men than women.
now add to that gays which is find, but if there's 50 men 50 women, 16 women are liesbians, and 10 guys are guy. then theres not enough women still. now lets say there is some one for everyone. you live where you do and your love match guy lives in china. you two will never meet due to over 3000 miles apart. its mathematically impossible. for there to be someone for everyone and them meeting.

probably like at least 25% of the worlds past population died alone and single. most families have a single uncle/aunt that never had a love life and never had kids. family lines die out all the time.

now might most people ie 75% ish find relationships or ltr maybe, but everyone for someone nope. lets be realistic.

believing there is someone for everyone yet you are always alone and die alone just leads to making you feel like s**t, if theres someone for everyone then why the f**k did you live whole life alone, what the s**t is wrong with you. etc.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 6:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote: