My Tinder Regional Experiment - 6 countries, 6 days.

Page 11 of 11 [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 6:05 pm

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
RandoNLD wrote:
I know someone who went there in the early '80s and brought back a wife; they're still together, but it's not something I'd feel comfortable doing.

Back in the 80s the slur "mail order bride" was being thrown around aimed at these poor women.

Wanting to find a better life is a bad thing in some ppl's minds.
Go figure. :?

There are always "judgementalists".

A lot of it was coming from Australian feminists. Making judgements about how these women felt. Height of incredulity to think that a man taking a woman out of poverty in the Philippines and providing for her and her children makes the woman in some way a golddigger :roll:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 6:10 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
RandoNLD wrote:
I know someone who went there in the early '80s and brought back a wife; they're still together, but it's not something I'd feel comfortable doing.

Back in the 80s the slur "mail order bride" was being thrown around aimed at these poor women.

Wanting to find a better life is a bad thing in some ppl's minds.
Go figure. :?

There are always "judgementalists".

A lot of it was coming from Australian feminists. Making judgements about how these women felt. Height of incredulity to think that a man taking a woman out of poverty in the Philippines and providing for her and her children makes the woman in some way a golddigger :roll:

Extremists be crazy...

What I found interesting is the acceptance of older men marrying younger women there is a cultural thing.

We had a discussion, you and I, where you said many Asian countries had this favourable bias towards Caucasians.
I didn't believe it then, but I do now.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 6:40 pm

Pepe wrote:
We had a discussion, you and I, where you said many Asian countries had this favourable bias towards Caucasians.

Yes, this is true. There's a really good South African blogger who posts youtube videos about how in China he was literally given paid jobs because he was good looking and white.

This is really embarrassing but it's a well known fact
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/06 ... index.html

Last edited by Cornflake on 25 Mar 2023, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.: Removed offensive commentary

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2023, 8:02 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Yes, this is true. There's a really good South African blogger who posts youtube videos about how in China he was literally given paid jobs because he was good looking and white.

Thats funny but i can see the logic of it. Pretend to have some white western big shot to pretend to be in business with!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 8:46 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:

You were right, it seems.
I bow to the master. :hail:

Quote:
"Face, we say in China, is more important than life itself," said Zhang Haihua, author of "Think Like Chinese." "Because Western countries are so developed, people think they are more well off, so people think that if a company can hire foreigners, it must have a lot of money and have very important connections overseas. So when they really want to impress someone, they may roll out a foreigner."

Or rent one.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 9:57 pm

I have a very distant family member who found a wife in The Philippines. Like me, he was likely on the autism spectrum but was never diagnosed since he grew up in a time before autism was widely diagnosed.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 10:01 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Another relatively untouched country with friendly people is Cambodia. But the former is a little dangerous (crime) compared to Indonesia.

The problem with Cambodia is that they're not as proficient in English and their primary religion is Buddhism. That means the majority of english speaking western men would likely not be compatible with the majority of Cambodians. Because Buddhism isn't really practiced all that much in the USA.

Indonesia on the other hand is a little bit more compatible for Americans.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 12:30 am

Muse933277 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Another relatively untouched country with friendly people is Cambodia. But the former is a little dangerous (crime) compared to Indonesia.

The problem with Cambodia is that they're not as proficient in English and their primary religion is Buddhism. That means the majority of english speaking western men would likely not be compatible with the majority of Cambodians. Because Buddhism isn't really practiced all that much in the USA.

Indonesia on the other hand is a little bit more compatible for Americans.

Take it from me....Indonesia is the promised land

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2023, 8:05 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
We can’t, we will either in some millions years go extinct or evolution may “find its way” - some lizard species are all-females for isntance.

That would fix a lot of problems, no more wars, no more inceldom, no more soulless corporate greed. I'd still prefer if there were some males though, or else I think the world would get far too boring. And an all female world might not be totally utopian either : there still might be Theranos occurences of their day.

Pepe wrote:
1986 wrote:
I've tried to be a local for 7 years now but so far I'd probably just win the prize of "worst weeaboo in the world". :D

Going off topic here, but what is the situation in Japan?
Can you legally own property, being a westerner?

I sure hope so, as a lot of American property is Japanese owned. Plus they make their software in such a way that you have to purchase another Nintendo Switch if you want to make a new Animal Crossing savefile, so its the least they could do.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

26 Mar 2023, 11:00 am

Cornflake wrote:
Pepe and Rexi: would you two please get a room - or better, your own love-in thread in the Adult forum - and stop posting your off-topic kissy-kissy sessions here and elsewhere.
There are only so many barf bags available... :wink:[/mod]

I feel like wp is like Japan streets, can't even hold hands.

I actually made a thread before I read this, in the adult sexion but it was not for the usual purpose and we were waiting to see if you would remove it or not. I couldn't stand the minimal flirting going on so I had to do it.

It's not kissy yet, you need to buy bigger bags for the future. You're going to be the only one forced to read it as a mod. :lol: don't hold your breath

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

26 Mar 2023, 12:37 pm

Rexi wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Pepe and Rexi: would you two please get a room - or better, your own love-in thread in the Adult forum - and stop posting your off-topic kissy-kissy sessions here and elsewhere.
There are only so many barf bags available... :wink:[/mod]

I feel like wp is like Japan streets, can't even hold hands.
It's more a question of how your little bursts of eye-fluttering and in-thread cuddly flirting are an off-topic distraction.
It's cute and all, and good luck to the pair of you - but it shouldn't be promoted where it has no place. Unlike the streets of Japan, threads here tend to be based on single topics.

Quote:
I actually made a thread before I read this, in the adult sexion but it was not for the usual purpose and we were waiting to see if you would remove it or not. I couldn't stand the minimal flirting going on so I had to do it.
You mean this one? viewtopic.php?t=412651#p9263780
Yeah, saw that - but instead of waiting you only need ask. That thread is exactly what I had in mind when I suggested you make your own love-in thread.

It's your thread and about each other/your relationship, so go for it. (but let's not get too revealing, Ok?).
I've seen other examples of threads like this; they seem to work very well and can be cute to dip into.

Quote:
It's not kissy yet, you need to buy bigger bags for the future. You're going to be the only one forced to read it as a mod. :lol: don't hold your breath
Actually by constraining it to one thread fewer barf bags are required, and prospective browsers will likely bring their own.
And sorry to disappoint, but no-one here is forced to read anything - including moderators. :wink:

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

26 Apr 2023, 5:14 pm

Saw a Deutsche Welle segment a few years ago about how the Kingdom of Morocco has relatively lax attitudes towards dating, premarital sex and sing motherhood. There's a relatively high number of women in the workforce as well. The son of a relatives' co-worker married a Moroccan woman after going there and converting to Islam, his given name is Malcolm and his in-laws and neighbors call him Malcolm X :).