Talk about yourself for a bit

Page 12 of 91 [ 1452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 91  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2007, 3:25 pm

Beksy wrote:
Ever have one of those days where nothing goes right?

Yeah, me too. I just erased my entire message.

Anyway, call me Beksie. I'm nearly 24, I'm from New England, and I was diagnosed with AS this past summer. I graduated from college, and have a BA in Communication Arts and English. I love media in general, sci-fi/fantasy in specific, but not Star Trek or manga. I'm a good cook. I can knit (but I never do). Politically, I'm a liberal and a feminist (but not necessarily a liberal feminist). I'm left-handed. I played saxaphone in school but am out of practice, and can play guitar (though the stub to my low E string is stuck in the body so I can't finish restringing my guitar). I should probably be writing for NaNoWriMo rather than posting here. I loved Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers when I was younger, and find this extremely funny:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpGMFC1nqtk[/youtube]

NB: Austin St. John (the tough one) is American, and I'm pretty sure James Maclurcan (the pretty one) is Australian.

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2007, 5:56 pm

Hey, all. I'm Mark, from the city of Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Earth. 24 going on 25. Employed in a data storage and retrieval warehouse job. I have an undergraduate degree in fine arts that I haven't really done anything with yet.

So far, I'm just self-diagnosed, but will probably go after an official diagnosis one of these days for unknown future contingencies, and also other, more subtle reasons. I made the connection this past May, after reading the features of AS on Wikipedia. (Maybe not the most concise source, but it was just a quick and dirty stepping stone) Someone had jokingly called me "autistic," which I'd only vaguely heard of before. After checking it out, I decided they were actually partially right, but it wasn't like I hadn't learned to talk right away or anything. A month or so later, I came back, looked up autism again, and on a larf, starting clicking on related links that sounded interesting, and then, lo and behold, I discovered Asperger's Syndrome.

Actually, I'd been looking, and hoping, for an explanation for the intangible and contradictory deficits I seemed to deal with all the time, even though I knew I HAD to be at least pretty smart in some ways. i.e. typical little things: anxiety, awkwardness, little social or (no) romantic success, certain instances of problem-solving. I toyed with and researched different ideas to explain it. Was I mildly ret*d? Did I have some post-traumatic syndrome? Was I gender-confused? No, not really...

All in all, I'm more or less glad to be about 98.7% sure I have AS, as an explanation if nothing else. And I really can't complain about it: there are much worse diagnoses to bear, ones without any benefits in addition to deficits, and there seem to be people with much more debilitating symptoms of AS than I have. There are good and bad days, and sometimes it seems the best (or only) way for me to move forward in life is to continue finding out more about AS and myself, (Which in itself is sort of a depressing thought) but I guess that's just what I have to accept. Everyone has obstacles. At least now maybe I've got a concrete idea of where to go from here.

I'm an allaround and respectably nerdy guy, albeit selectively so; I won't invest time in anything that seems too... plastic. Not to sound stuck up or anything, but I require, nay, DEMAND a certain level of sophistication in my time-wasting endeavors!

I'm a novice martial artist, soon to be a black stripe in an art called Hwa Rang Do, which I've heard is Korean for "Way of the Flowering Youths." That aside, it's a fantastic art, very dynamic and diverse. It's got a little bit of everything, streamlined for today. In fact, I'm pretty sure you could train a contemporary guerilla army with it. I've benefited greatly from it.

I went to art school for four years, but don't really do much with it. That's okay, though, because even before I'd heard of AS, I'd though of it as an invaluable and almost therapeutic social education for me as I was coming out of high school into the real world.

Hate to be abrupt, but that's all for now, this is already long enough. We'll talk later. ;)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 5:58 pm

CMaximus wrote:
Hey, all. I'm Mark, from the city of Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Earth. 24 going on 25. Employed in a data storage and retrieval warehouse job. I have an undergraduate degree in fine arts that I haven't really done anything with yet.

So far, I'm just self-diagnosed, but will probably go after an official diagnosis one of these days for unknown future contingencies, and also other, more subtle reasons. I made the connection this past May, after reading the features of AS on Wikipedia. (Maybe not the most concise source, but it was just a quick and dirty stepping stone) Someone had jokingly called me "autistic," which I'd only vaguely heard of before. After checking it out, I decided they were actually partially right, but it wasn't like I hadn't learned to talk right away or anything. A month or so later, I came back, looked up autism again, and on a larf, starting clicking on related links that sounded interesting, and then, lo and behold, I discovered Asperger's Syndrome.

Actually, I'd been looking, and hoping, for an explanation for the intangible and contradictory deficits I seemed to deal with all the time, even though I knew I HAD to be at least pretty smart in some ways. i.e. typical little things: anxiety, awkwardness, little social or (no) romantic success, certain instances of problem-solving. I toyed with and researched different ideas to explain it. Was I mildly ret*d? Did I have some post-traumatic syndrome? Was I gender-confused? No, not really...

All in all, I'm more or less glad to be about 98.7% sure I have AS, as an explanation if nothing else. And I really can't complain about it: there are much worse diagnoses to bear, ones without any benefits in addition to deficits, and there seem to be people with much more debilitating symptoms of AS than I have. There are good and bad days, and sometimes it seems the best (or only) way for me to move forward in life is to continue finding out more about AS and myself, (Which in itself is sort of a depressing thought) but I guess that's just what I have to accept. Everyone has obstacles. At least now maybe I've got a concrete idea of where to go from here.

I'm an allaround and respectably nerdy guy, albeit selectively so; I won't invest time in anything that seems too... plastic. Not to sound stuck up or anything, but I require, nay, DEMAND a certain level of sophistication in my time-wasting endeavors!

I'm a novice martial artist, soon to be a black stripe in an art called Hwa Rang Do, which I've heard is Korean for "Way of the Flowering Youths." That aside, it's a fantastic art, very dynamic and diverse. It's got a little bit of everything, streamlined for today. In fact, I'm pretty sure you could train a contemporary guerilla army with it. I've benefited greatly from it.

I went to art school for four years, but don't really do much with it. That's okay, though, because even before I'd heard of AS, I'd though of it as an invaluable and almost therapeutic social education for me as I was coming out of high school into the real world.

Hate to be abrupt, but that's all for now, this is already long enough. We'll talk later. ;)

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

aspiebeauty87
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Nov 2007, 6:03 pm

hi, my name is brittany,I'm new here. I'm 19 I'm from california & I have AS I don't really talk much I'm more a quiet person. My hobbies are writing,singing,playing the piano,listening to music,& acting. My favorite color is pink,my favorite animal is white tiger & my favorite musical artist is eminem

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

12 Nov 2007, 6:30 pm

aspiebeauty87 wrote:
hi, my name is brittany,I'm new here. I'm 19 I'm from california & I have AS I don't really talk much I'm more a quiet person. My hobbies are writing,singing,playing the piano,listening to music,& acting. My favorite color is pink,my favorite animal is white tiger & my favorite musical artist is eminem

Hi Brittany...welcome to WP :)

I feel like I am saying hello to myself :lol: I have the same name lol.

I like writing too. I write poetry.

Nice to meet you :)

Dhp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 8:21 pm

Hi. My name is dhp (I will only give my name out if requested personally and if I know you). I'm 34, male, single, and live alone with a little help from my mother (she actually mails out the bills and handles my finances for the moment (until I get off of working disability)). I can drive. Work consists of being a part time as a cashier at the busiest grocery store of our chain. Upon the photon rays that evinced 2:30 P.M. on December 2nd of last year, it was revealed a proper diagnosis of Aspergers via a psychologist report. Oh, what a glorious day of revelation that was! After 33 years, to know that I was not alone in my eccentricities!

My obsessions seem to be music first, then mathematics. I have one of those eccentric brains that function exactly equally in comparison of the left side vs. the right side. People have described me as very compassionate, honest, caring, minimal sense of humor, and extremely hard on himself. I am dedicated when I work though almost to the point of being too serious. Please pay no attention to this sentence. Or this one, since it is a fragment.

My favorite types of music is progressive rock, classical and some new age. I cannot stand country music (sorry) or satanic music. As for math, it has been eight years now since I have received my bachelors in mathematics; unfortunately, I have forgotten most of it. I still revel in a proof though.

I have one sister, Jamie, that is NT and a full time musician; she is 32 years old.

I love cats, and do not like dogs. I think that shall suffice for now. I hope this didn't bore you - if it did, mail yourself a letter and then get rid of the evidence. Have a nice day.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 10:20 pm

aspiebeauty87 wrote:

Nice to meet you, Brittany. :)

I'm Jerry. :)

You sound very active to me. I'm more of a sports guy but became a martial artists like 10 months ago and I'm getting the hang of things in my martial art. I read a lot of different books for me to build my knowledge of understanding of things.

Last edited by JerryHatake on 14 Nov 2007, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 10:21 am

Hey Brit! :D Nice to see ya here ^^

I'm my own guinea pig.

fangfarrier
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: In the Highland of Scotland, never far from a pie shop

14 Nov 2007, 11:18 am

Sorry but I find it very difficult to free write introductions about myself. I can and will answer specific questions but find it hard to write spontaneously about me as I never know what to say.

Me, after much thought on the matter.

dupertuis
Raven
Raven

20 Nov 2007, 3:46 am

I'm Richard. I've had an interesting life. You can find a sketch of it on my blog.

Thanks, Redders. :D

I'm an older guy, married, just coming to accept Aspergers after having slipped through the cracks of 30 years of psych dx'es. I'm difficult to assess because I am so high-functioning.

I can pass as NT in superficial encounters, but people do see the difference after a while. I do not have any close friends.

I like most music not heard in the Top 40 Charts. I guess I will never tire of the songs of my high school years, what is now called Classic Rock. Yes, friends, we now live in world where Oldies are older than Classic.

When I discovered computers fifteen years ago I became a recluse, obsessed with digital art creation. Now I am a fair graphic artist and a 3D hobbyist.

Six years ago, my wife and I moved to a small town with the expressed purpose of joining an intimate community. I got out of the house by volunteering. Today I am well-known about town, and I think forgiven my differences due to my willingness to contribute.

Hello.

Last edited by dupertuis on 20 Nov 2007, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redders
Raven
Raven

20 Nov 2007, 6:07 am

Hey guys. It's nice to find a place where others are just like me.

I'm Redders... well, nickname, at least, I prefer that over my real name. I turned 18 about 2 and a half months ago, and whilst diagnosed with AS, many people cannot tell unless I mention it to them.

I was diagnosed when I was 4, but I wasn't told about it until I was 10, during the times when I was being constantly bullied and feeling horribly lonely. Once I understood why I was different from everyone else, I tried to change my ways so that I would appear more "normal" to everyone else, which I feel I have done. However, deep inside me I am an Aspie, and no matter what, I will always be proud of it.

If you wanna know more about me, my first blog post will be about my life with AS.

Capriccio
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2007, 11:49 pm

Hi my name is Jake and I'm an Aspie. I'm a Christian from the west side of Michigan. My main interest is playing guitar and studying music. I have played left-handed for 2 1/2 years, then I switched over to a right-handed, which I've been doing 2 1/2 years now. I'm self-taught now, used to take lessons, and if I'm not doing something important, I'm usually playing guitar. I especially enjoy improvising. Composing is fun too. Ever since I learned about Asperger Syndrome, and that many times the mind can be set up for areas such as logic and processing information, I've taken up an interest in seeing just how far I can push the limits. I started by taking an IQ test and scoring 136 (well, first time I took it I got 125, though second time through I noticed some stuff I missed because I was hurried... I hate timed tests!). I've also tried other things, such as learning to read different things (eg. reading music scores like they were books, reading guitar tablatures to help me memorize the fretboard notes, speed reading), learning to concentrate heavily (did this and received a 100 on my Accounting exam and got through a long Anatomy lecture undistracted), or other odd little things. I do love reading my Bible, I never cease to get something new out of it every time I read it. Just recently read the entire thing for the first time, all 66 books! Took a few years... I'm currently pursuing business studies (or will once I'm done with the medical side track I took), I'll probably go into some kind of financial management (accounting or finances). Science is of great interest to me, I don't really care what anyone thinks, I find the way our universe works to be quite fascinating! I can read and speak Spanish, though it's been over a year since I took any Spanish classes. Not too bad still I guess. I love writing, I keep an online journal where I write out thoughts when I need to.

Thucydides_of_26
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2007, 12:23 am

Hello,
My name, despite my "nickname", is David. Though I have never been officially diagnosed with Aspergers’ Syndrome, I have been tested for psychiatric illnesses as a younger child and found to be without Schizophrenia or (at least a strong presence of) Autism, though my School’s psychiatrist has noted my behaviour - should I be proud? I am currently seventeen years old and I have two parents and two siblings.
My ‘routines’ include clasping my hands, walking (except in family, intimate company) with my hands firmly in my pockets and washing my hands after almost every activity (and when “on the move” I carry alcohol ‘hand sanitisers’).
I live in Melbourne and I am just about to begin my final year at school.
My penchants and loves include reading Classical Greek texts (in English, though I love reading in general), the English language and the wonderful literature that is written in it, collecting boxes and small ‘trinkets’ and commas.
I enjoy listening to orchestral music, especially Mahler, Sibelius, Bach, Handel and (R.) Strauss.
I enjoy school, though I fear the vast numbers of people I do not know, both at school and in the city.
I have spent the last few months, apart from avid revision and study, accruing enough courage to ‘do something like this’ - this is my first ‘posting’ on a website.
I am swing through periods of ‘high’ and ‘low’, avoid eye contact when talking to ‘strangers’, I have no religion - the very idea confuses me -, I am a bibliophile and I am not in, nor will I be looking for, a relationship.
I sincerely hope that no one has been offended by this article/posting - I am an ‘apologist’, but not in the philosophical sense!

It is wonderful to meet everyone, or at least someone, or at least the very notion that people are out there!

Thucydides_of_26
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2007, 12:25 am

Sorry, I forgot something; if you could not tell from my "nickname", I also like the number 26.

Whitewave
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2007, 4:06 am

Flagg wrote:

Do the same as I did and speak of yourself for a bit.

Hi, Aaron and all.

I'm Jennifer and I am an NT. I live in California and have an AS client/friend and possibly a boy-friend. I have alot of questions for you guys so I hope you can help me out.

Thanks everyone!

Redders
Raven
Raven

25 Nov 2007, 8:32 am

dupertuis wrote:
Thanks, Redders. :D

What for? I hadn't even done my first pot by then... lol
But your welcome anyways... I guess. Can you just clear it up though, coz I'm confused lol