Talk about yourself for a bit

Page 3 of 91 [ 1452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 91  Next

PhoenixTears
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Apr 2007, 3:21 am

Sup I'm lisa and i am the sister of KBABZ. um, i'm 13, a NT and love playsation and my fav game is Kingdom hearts 2. yea... oh i also like red dwarf ( a tv show)
thats all i can think of

Mud_Buddha
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Apr 2007, 8:49 am

Hi there. My name is Daniel. Well, people call me Daan here in Holland but in english Daan becomes Don very quickly and I'm not a Don kind of person, so Daniel it is then.
I'm 30 years old and have been living in Amsterdam since 1995. I got diagnosed with Asperger in january this year and still trying to sort of come to terms with. To say that it's a mixed blessing is kind of an understatement.

Some details about myself: My main interests are music and movies. That seems kind of broad, but ofcourse I have my specific tastes in either one of 'm. With music it's mostly hiphop. Not the stuff that they call urban music or RnB nowadays but, excuse the term, the real hiphop. I hate to have to explain it, but there's so much crap out there that every time I tell someone hiphop music is my thing I feel the need to explain myself. Let's just say I like the more hardcore, original and conscious side of the music. For me, it's the beats and the way samples are used wich makes it the most interesting music for me. Listening to good hiphop is like putting a jigsaw puzzle together in your mind; how is the drumpattern organised? Where did they get the bassline from?. I grew up listening to acts like Public Enemy, Boogie Down Productions, Ice T and Icecube and today I'm always looking for artists that have that combination of attitude, originality and something to say. Ten years ago I started DJ-ing simply because at concerts or clubs I wasn't hearing what I wanted to hear. My favorite hiphop artists right now are DJ Shadow (although his last album sucked), Necro , Mr Lif and Cage; artists who search out the boundaries and constantly trying to push it a little further.
When I was young my tastes were really specific (everything non-hiphop was simply wack) but as I got older I started listening to other musical genres. A couple of years ago I fell in love with reggae, but mostly the older 60's/70's stuff like Jackie Mittoo, early Lee Perry and Augustus Pablo. Besides that I listen to a lot of what I now simply call triphop (simply beats without the rappers) like Amon Tobin, Ugress, Massive Attack & DJ Krush. I also like some metal and punk. Acts like Marylin Manson, Dead Kennedys and Rammstein simply give me the feeling I'm not the only one out there thinking about this stuff and it gives me energy. But above all and everything else, I'm a Sade fan. Her music pulled me through a lot of hard and insecure times during my life. I've been listening to her since I was 8 or 9 and if I can only take 5 LP's to a deserted island, it'll be her 5 albums (damn, sure hope I can bring a turntable too, haha ;-))

Movies offer me kind of a way out from the everyday life. It's pure escapism for me. I'm not a pretentious movie buff or anything whose favorite movie is Citizen Kane or 2001. I can like any movie if it fits my expectations, but have a preference for movies that really take you into a different world or political movies which have something to say. Besides that I have a thing for series, so the Alien, Terminator and Indiana Jones series are kind of my thing. I'm also a big Star Wars fan. From when I saw Return Of The Jedi when I was 7 that universe far far away with it's clear distinctions between good and evil has always helped me cope with everyday life. Since I've been learning about Asperger I found out most of my personal favorites are movies about loners, people who don't fit in. Movies like Leon, The Killer, Remains Of The Day, The Crow, Ghost Dog, Fight Club to name a few. Now that can't be coincedence can it?

On a personal level; I've been in a couple of serious relations and had a couple of one night stand things. For the last three years I've been in a relationship with my current girlfriend. She's diagnosed with ADD and borderline and has had a very rough and unstable childhood. Needless to say we've had our share of trouble and tension. But she's the one who didn't give up on me and through her persistance I found out about asperger. Even after three years I'm still doubting wether this relation is for me and if I really love her in that way, everyday. For me "love" has alway been this weird abstract thing. I see people falling in love and having relationships all day around me and I simply don't understand that urge to spend all that time with someone else, that reliance on another person. But I'll save my thoughts about hat for aother thread.
Besides that, I come from a very stable and loving family. I grew up in a small village about an hour's drive north of Amsterdam. My dad was an officer in the navy and eventually became a Defence Secretary in Ankara, Turkye (sort of an ambassador but for the military). I think he has some autistic traits but seems to get along fine in the "outside world", unlike me. The thought alone of being in a non-private environment like the military gives me the creeps. My mom is a speech therapist. Although she worked a lot with autistic and mentally disabled people, she never "suspected" I was one. I don't blame her; I simply learned to not stand out from an early age on. I have one older sister who is happily married and has a 2 year old daughter.

So this is me then. Sorry for the overlong introduction. ;-)

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2007, 10:07 am

My name is Soph, I live in Manchester and I'm 18 (will be 19 in June) I was only diagnosed with Aspergers this January and I'm in my first year at university studying History.
I spend most of my time on the computer listening to music and I live with my mum, step-dad, two brothers, a cat and a rabbit. I am also short sighted which is useful as I sometimes feel better when everything looks blurry. My glasses are always being broken or lost though which can be frustrating.

Interests
History: I like going to museums and have been obsessed with history since I was about seven. I used to sit under the kitchen table reading books about Romans and had a cat named after Henry VIII but he died in 1996. I never liked school or college because we were forced to do subjects I didn't want to do, whereas now I'm at university I just do history every day and my building is on the same road as a museum :D As I've got older I've become more interested in modern history, local history and 18th & 19th century Britain.

Animals: (Mainly cats). I have a cat called Flo who is ten years old and likes sleeping. She doesn't like people whistling or plastic bags and she rarely goes out apart from into the back garden in the summer (I think her social anxiety is probably as bad as mine :D). She's also scared of people she doesn't know very well and I get on better with her than I do with people in general. I've also had three other cats, and three hamsters and I have a rabbit who likes carrots.

Music: Mostly metal. My favourite bands at the moment are Rammstein, Amorphis, Amon Amarth, In Flames, Katatonia and Kalmah. Listening to music helps with my anxiety when I go out and it's also good for blocking out distracting noises.

Other Interests: Manchester United, my computer, games (Zelda at the moment) and drawing.

Things I don't Like:
Hearing people chewing
Hot weather
Thinking I'm going to be late
Walking through doors I've never been through before
Being asked questions I don't want to answer
Public Toilets
and when someone else sits in my seat in the corner in lectures.

I can't really think of anything else to write, I'm not very interesting :)

skater_chick101
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2007, 1:42 pm

Hi everybody

I’m Alexis. I am 12 years old bout to be 13. I am currently a 6th grader.
I love to listen to music I am also a musician I play trumpet and cello.
My interests are: music, skateboarding, hanging with my friends and being a kid.
My favorite movie is The Butterfly Effect. If you have questions ask.
My favorite bands are: Linkin Park, Panic at the disco, 30 seconds to mars.
I am into the sports I love football (COLTS).I love baseball (New York Yankees).

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2007, 3:17 pm

RedMage wrote:
I though you were older than 16!!

:D Thanks.
I always get people's ages and genders wrong on here. I thought you were 17 for the longest time.

Three years!

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 12:04 am

I'm 15, but people think I'm 16. o.O

chalupafupah
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Apr 2007, 2:29 am

My names Andy, im 19, a college freshman, and im trying to pursue a career of some sort in Aspergers and autism research or treatment. For someone w/ Aspergers, i dont seem to catch on as incredibly rigid and logical, im more of a reading/writing aspie than a math/science one. I'm lucky that my mother is an Occupational Therapist, and my Aunt chairs a Texas lobbying group for people with Autism or parents with Autistic children, (she has a son with severe autism/mental retardation), and because of their knowledge and connections, i have since learned most of the social skills/knowledge that i lacked because of Aspergers. in fact, ive improved so much, that last year they dismissed the label. I love music, movies and books, in particular philosophy, existentialism being my favorite. Since ive been so sucessfull in overcoming so many aspects of my Aspergers diagnosis, i feel like i have a responsibility to help others w/ AS cope with their problems as well. I enjoy working with people with other disabilities, in particular, those more severley involved, and am pursuing a career where i can make a differance in other peoples lives, especially in those with Aspergers, since unlike other clinicians/physicans/psychologists/etc, ive actually experienced their pain and struggles, and can emphathize/relate easily with such patients (I'm happy to say, that ive never really felt a lack of empathy towards others, and no1s really noticed it in me either, so im pretty sure i dont have that trait)

Berns
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2007, 2:09 pm

Hello, I am Bernard Anderson. My age is 21 years old. Music, religion and science form the backbone of my world.
Writing and recording music is something I've done since around 7.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's when I was about 10 after being misdiagnosed as having ADD and Tourette's. I am currently attending McNally Smith College of Music in St. Paul, MN. Production is my major.

Politically I am an Independent libertarian who hates being percieved as left-wing or right-wing. Until 2 years ago, I was what one would call a Neo-Con and finally drifted away from the Republican party last fall. My orientation is straight despite some disgusting music I wrote when spoofing boy bands in my turbulent years of high school (2000-2004).

Religiously, I am a Roman Catholic but find the Church in troubled times under Benedict XVI. I've been questioning their authority in spreading the word of Christ. Perhaps Jesus wanted his followers to adhere to a post-temple Judaism versus the pagan customs of the Romans. For this reason, I try to keep kosher. :wink:

I get depressed in certain social situations and stay introverted when possible to keep my emotional level normal. Whenever I do go out in public and help people, I feel alot better.

The world can be very cruel. Even more so if there are few like-minded people in the outside world you can share your troubles with. And as I learned in high school, dating women is something I've never gotten to do. There was one "relationship" in high school which was really only a controlling friendship out of pity! Hopefully, I won't let psychotic people like her manipulate me next time...

:shameonyou:

Acerimmer1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Apr 2007, 5:18 pm

Hi I'm Stuart

I was 28 in March.

I don't know much about the specifics of my personal condition yet since I was only diagnosed 6 weeks ago.

But I do know the general nature of Aspergers and the symptoms which can manifest as part of it. The ones that I know do or don't affect me are as follows:

Social interaction is hard for me, I have a monotone voice, I don't have problems with motor coordination in fact I would say I was gifted in this area. I am not well organised outside of my main hobby but I know I have the potential to be. I argue with people alot and I have alot of opinions which aren't mainstream. I have an extremely high pain threshold perhaps even for Aspergers which is handy because I am obsessed with bodybuilding. Oh and I'm built like a brick sh"thouse, probably also have body dismorphia. I have good body image but I hold myself up to high standards if somebody even says they know somebody bigger than me it makes me feel bad. I find it hard to understand peoples motives unless they're really obvious but I can empathise eg I sometimes feel sorry for other people.

I was always acutely aware that I was somehow different from other children. I always seemed to be on my own and never really fitted in. As a kid I was an exceptional pencil artist and then as a teen I obsessed over football and while I was technically very very skilled due to obsessive practice (I am not atall affected by any deficiency in motor skills which I recall reading is often linked to Aspergers) I couldn't cope properly with the team environment and I pretty much never passed the ball.

At school I found that maths was pretty easy infact even at higher levels of education I would usually improvise and work out the formulae for a question in the exam rather than go to the effort of revising formulae.

But eventually I was never really interested in doing maths at uni although I did gain a 2:1 degree in Leisure Management.

After that I got into bodybuilding, because of my self perception I didn't expect to be very good at it. But as it turned out I was unusually gifted in this pursuit, and this has been my obssessive interest ever since age 18 though I wave just been training three months now since an 8 month layoff so I'm not the size I had been just yet (I need another two months before I'm hitting PB's) but most everyone else but me thinks I look just as good this way. Regardless of that I'll be back looking how I used to look in two months max and then I'll just keep getting bigger.

I guess it must be linked to my obssessive nature and my high pain threshold but somehow I think the advantage I have over NT bodybuilders goes deeper than this somehow though I'm not sure if it's to with Aspergers or something else. Oh yes and I do not take steroids, or as I prefer to say I don't need to take steroids.

Anyway before you all actually die of boredom...

Clearly this focus on improving my appearance is on a deeper level some sort of attempt at compensation for my lack of social skills. I now am aware of this but at the same time I still love it, and I'm probably even physically addicted to this type of exercise now. Either way my councellor thinks it is a posative influence so I have no reason to stop.

I'm presently between jobs, I was doing a sales job, as I hadn't yet been diagnosed with Aspergers (I guess I found out in March). My theory was that I would recieve enough training to improve my social skills, I never considered myself to have a talent for sales. I think to some degree it worked and I learned some useful stuff.

But I found I actually learned alot more from studying NLP years ago.

I would actually now like to retrain to become a Chiropractor which is a five year course so I've no idea how I would finance that.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 9:58 pm

Well, I don't really like to talk about myself all that much. I mean, my autobiography only fills 785 measly volumes. :wink:

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 10:30 pm

A true mystery man ^^ :wink:

Xan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2007, 7:17 pm

*regreted the post*

PandemicPsyche
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Apr 2007, 6:51 pm

Hi, my name is Sarahsnow with no middle name but I usually split it up on legal forms and I also usually go by just Snow. I am 27 as of this posting, am female, and was dx'ed with Asperger's after my HFA daughter was dx'ed. Right now my life consists of going to and from apointments and my sole form of social interaction is online. I have an extensive collection of music CD's and DVD's but I would have to say my primary interest would be music. I listen to anything that doesn't suck. I also played the violin for 6 years. My only obsession which has carried over from childhood is that of collecting toys (as in, not to play with). When I was a kid I taught myself to read at 3 and books have always been a big thing for me. I can usually read a novel in a day or less and tend to have serial obsessions with books, i.e. I will exhaust a whole genra (romance, sci fi, ect) before moving on to the next. I also tend to have serial obsessions for instance last year it was sewing and before that pottery, poetry, ect. I have a compostition book journal in addition to my online blog at http://pandemicpsyche.livejournal.com/ and also keep a journal in an art sketchbook where I collage words with pictures I find in magazines. I collect all things unicorn compulsively. I have 3 kids and it is more of a challange than it would be for a normal person, most of which think it's commendable. Honestly knowing what I know now about myself I probably would have made different choices, though I love my children dearly. My life right now is pretty much a struggle through hell trying to find the skills and tools I need to survive, because while I have an above average IQ my functionality is not so great, I have been floundering and find myself unsuccessful and lost as an adult in life right now. It's been helpful for me to find others I have things in common with on boards like these. Pretty much one of the only things keeping me sane right now. :) For more on me you can check out my pages; Personal Website http://www.angelfire.com/stars4/sarahsnow On Myspace http://www.myspace.com/pandemicpsyche

Oh, btw, I am new here. Nice to meet ya'll.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 9:31 pm

PandemicPsyche, drop by the married ASpie Cafe thread sometime ! !!

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 3:38 am

So, I guess I might as well put this here.
My take on my breakup with my wife.

Quote:
Quote:
Calandale, you've never really explained it (you don't have to if you don't want to), but how did your split with your wife happen?

I still don't understand it myself. We started growing more distant.
We ended up moving from a really nice apartment to a smaller,
less comfortable one, and things really deteriorated.

Our lives had become something of a granfalloon, but after the
move (which was into the neighborhood she grew up in), she
began hanging out with some old friends again. On the other hand,
I, who had probably been the more social of the two of us, in terms
of having contact with friends, had mostly lost contact with everyone
I knew (various means - mainly them moving out of the area). This
reversal didn't suit us well.

Along with this, I no longer had a safe retreat - really neither of
us did; the new place was just a bit too cramped. We both needed
a lot of time to ourselves. BUT, there had been the underlying distance
between us, as well. Anyhow, things started getting pretty bad, but I
never thought that we would crack - she was spending more and more
time away, and there were obvious problems. We tried fencing (something
we hadn't really done together since we first met), and she admitted wanting
to kill me. No huge deal that, but it was a pretty clear sign.

Then one day, she and I got in an argument about what was going on, and she
just decided that she couldn't handle it anymore. She made it clear that either I
had to leave, or she would. There was nothing to keep me in Buffalo, so I finally
decided to leave. The only thing that I could really get out of her, was that she
was losing her mind, and couldn't afford to go crazy. It's funny, I tried to convince
her to go on a Bonny and Clyde type of spree. Would have been a kick, and I wouldn't
have lost her.

It was probably tougher on her, than it was on me. I was absolutely devastated,
but over the next couple of years, she made a couple of serious suicide attempts.
She pretty much went crazy anyhow.

After we were separated for a little over a year, I had to bail her out of the psych
center (she had tried ODing on sleeping pills). It looked like things were going to
be alright between us, but a number of concerns haunted me. When I expressed
them to her, that was pretty much the end of that. Some harsh words ensued, and
after a few months, she cut all contact. I have no f*****g idea if she's alive or dead
(probably dead, given my past history). I still love her, and miss the hell out of her,
but, like when I expressed my concerns, I'm just not positive that we would
work out together anymore.

Pakahafi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2007, 4:29 am

Hey there. The name's Chuji and I'm 19 years old. But you could also call me Pakahafi. My username stemmed from when I asked a department store to hold a computer part for me over the phone and they spelled my name, Takahashi, rather incorrectly. Kinda comical, eh?

I am currently majoring in Biochemistry, hoping to one day go into the field of Pharmaceuticals. Something about learning about the names and effects of various drugs just sounds really cool. I've always had a knack for science and math (like many aspies, I'm sure) so it just seemed like a logical field to try to go into.

Right now, I am very into music. Right now my favorite bands include: Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Dream Theater, The Polysics, Tiger Army, and quite a few others. This isn't all I listen to, but its what you will most likely find me listening to in a car if you root through my iPod :P . I don't consider myself to be a music buff, but music can have a very therapeutic effect for me. Going to a Muse concert has been one of the most memorable and enjoyable experiences of my life, as their ability to captivate the audience with their stage presence and energy is something that can't be described without seeing them in person.

I am also very into video games, something that I have developed an intense liking for ever since I was little. I'm not entirely sure why video games have played such a huge role in my life. I guess they offered a kind of escape for me. I remember that I played DDR and other music games obsessively during middle school as a way of dealing with a rather awkward time in my life.

I grew up in a very loving house. Ever since I was young, I was told I had a way with numbers and words. One of my earliest childhood memories was when I broke the school record for reading the most books in my elementary school when I was in 1st grade. A lot of this may had to have been due to the fact that I had been diagnosed with ADHD and was consequently put on medication.

Throughout all of public school I had always had a hard time meeting new people. I had often blamed it on the medication, thinking that it had caused me to be socially inept. I eventually stopped taking my medication in the 10th grade, much to the dismay of my parents. I soon realized, however, that it was not the medication that caused me to be unable to relate and make small talk with others.

Knowing that I have AS, a lot of my life makes more sense. I always knew that I was different than other children, but I never knew why. I look at it as being a double edged sword. While I may not be able to get to know others quickly, I form incredibly strong friendships with those who appreciate me as a person. I hate being fake with people, simply because I am not good at it.