The Rollercoaster: Should I get off?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 6:27 am

Okay, so my absence from WP has been for some good things: I've been working full-time,

But in January, I met a nursing student from NYC on OkCupid. A pretty girl, has a friend on the spectrum, two brothers with disabilities. At first it was going great. She had plans to be my Valentine's date, she had plans to "kidnap" me to the beach (sounds good to me!), we held hands on our first date (to a chocolate-specializing cafe), things were going great. She went as far as telling me a few painful parts of her past, her class schedule and even sending me a copy of the manuscript of the novel she's been working on.

I get a text on Valentine's Day morning that she can't make it because she's sick. I felt bad, but I had to give her an out. Nope, she was really sick. I'm a little supersitious, so I'm already starting to wonder things. We ended up hanging out again in mid-March (the 13th), and it was a marathon date. Dinner and a movie, held hands through the entire movie (it was Focus, by the way). I tried kissing her and she backed off so I did and I later apologized and it was pretty cool until the 16th, when it went south. Since that weekend I've heard from her, but sometimes it's been really brief. I've given her outs, she's said don't worry about it, etc.

Part of it is factors that she can't control. I work during the day, and depending on the week she works twenty hours. She has three classes, all night classes, so she's busier than I am. I understand that, but is it that hard to send a few texts through the day? On the other hand, I'm not the only person in her life whose gotten the shaft due to her schedule: her bestie has too. A girl's bestie well, takes a lot of precedence.

Overall, it's been a rollercoaster. I enjoy hearing from her and hanging out with her, we text almost every day, but in the last week it's gotten to the point where I'm having meltdowns and regressing into old habits (obsessing over the situation). It's not healthy. Last night I sent her another "if you're not interested don't feel you have to text" text. And it was a lengthy one too, so if her reply is anywhere near positive (I mean a near apology, she did for not texting me Wednesday), she's a saint. Still, this particular text I think will sink this ship.

I'll admit that I probably need a few mental health changes before I should be dating, but was this another "too good to be true" to add to the box? Or did a lengthy text possibly make things worse? If she's not interested in me and texting is a chore, I'd rather she walk away.

Or is there a chance I might have blown something great because I was impatient?

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 5:48 pm

Northeastern292 wrote:
I tried kissing her and she backed off so I did and I later apologized and it was pretty cool until the 16th, when it went south. Since that weekend I've heard from her, but sometimes it's been really brief.

She may honestly have other priorities right now, but it sounds like she just isn't interested in you. When someone is interested, they will go out of their way to make contact with you, unless they have a legitimate reason that they can't. Even if they do have to postpone things, they should at least make an attempt to reschedule. When the other person keeps conversations brief, this usually means that they want to minimize their time spent talking to you...unless they are normally a short and sweet kinda person, with everybody.

As far as her not spending time with her best friend...well, this could be anything from personal issues, being too busy, or the simple fact that she doesn't want to spend time with her.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 6:15 pm

she is treating you more like a friend who she can vent to

Subjekt_9
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Apr 2015, 7:58 pm

Its priorities man. I'm going through the same thing. It sucks but...what can ya do except stick it out or walk away? Nursing is a tough field so I'm sure she's got a ton of things on her mind. Just try to be more understanding of her situation and be honest with her. She may just not be ready for a full on commitment. And if her best friend is even getting left behind, that should tell you something about her life right now.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 8:11 pm

Subjekt_9 wrote:
Its priorities man. I'm going through the same thing. It sucks but...what can ya do except stick it out or walk away? Nursing is a tough field so I'm sure she's got a ton of things on her mind. Just try to be more understanding of her situation and be honest with her. She may just not be ready for a full on commitment. And if her best friend is even getting left behind, that should tell you something about her life right now.

Exactly. And I don't think a girl is going to hold hands with a guy she's friendzoned. And she doesn't really vent to me much. In fact she tells me a lot of happy things (updates on the novel she's been working one for one).