Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

User avatar

Joined: 9 Jun 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,718
Location: New Zealand

28 Dec 2007, 9:58 pm

Ok...well i've noticed that the age for actual dating is getting a lot younger.
I mean, it used to be that at the age of 15 [or older] that you get your first kiss...and now if you haven't been kissed by the age of 12, it makes you some kind of freak!!... :?

For example...you now hear about 10 year olds that have boyfriends or girlfriends. I am wondering if this is just "puppy love" or actual "dating".
Truth be told....I have never felt compelled to date and feel that it is unnecessary to "rush" things. I am only 16 so sure I have not had a lot of like experience. I just feel though, that the pressure to be dating at a increasingly younger age is rediculous.

I'm not entirely sure where I am going with this but I may aswell finish off by saying...
*What do you think of the whole "normal dating standards"?
*If you have had a boyfriend/girlfriend, what age was your first one?
*If not, at what age did you feel like you "should" be having a relationship with someone?


_________________
I = Vegan!
Animals = Friends.


pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 573
Location: california

28 Dec 2007, 10:57 pm

Brittany2907 wrote:
Ok...well i've noticed that the age for actual dating is getting a lot younger.
I mean, it used to be that at the age of 15 [or older] that you get your first kiss...and now if you haven't been kissed by the age of 12, it makes you some kind of freak!!... :?

For example...you now hear about 10 year olds that have boyfriends or girlfriends. I am wondering if this is just "puppy love" or actual "dating".
Truth be told....I have never felt compelled to date and feel that it is unnecessary to "rush" things. I am only 16 so sure I have not had a lot of like experience. I just feel though, that the pressure to be dating at a increasingly younger age is rediculous.

I'm not entirely sure where I am going with this but I may aswell finish off by saying...
*What do you think of the whole "normal dating standards"?
*If you have had a boyfriend/girlfriend, what age was your first one?
*If not, at what age did you feel like you "should" be having a relationship with someone?


I think normal dating standards are ridiculous. The whole "YOU MUST BE IN A RELATIONSHIP BY AGE_____" thing serves no purpose other than to make people miserable and scare them into marrying. 8O Yeah. I'm 23 and haven't had a relationship. So am I past my "expiration date"? Should I just go curl up and die now? Puh-leaze. :wink:



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,314
Location: Houston, Texas

29 Dec 2007, 12:58 am

I don't keep track of dating norms anymore, but I got my first relationship at age 17 (I'm 28 now).

Tim


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 898
Location: Netherlands

29 Dec 2007, 4:16 am

There are probably some biological things playing at the background. Growing up in a 'richer' environment causes people to develop faster.

And I think social standards are a bit higher than they used to be. But if that is really the case?



Cadzie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 187
Location: Ontario, Canada

29 Dec 2007, 8:30 am

pineapple wrote:
I think normal dating standards are ridiculous. The whole "YOU MUST BE IN A RELATIONSHIP BY AGE_____" thing serves no purpose other than to make people miserable and scare them into marrying. 8O Yeah. I'm 23 and haven't had a relationship. So am I past my "expiration date"? Should I just go curl up and die now? Puh-leaze. :wink:

Yeah, well people assumed things of me because I never had much to do with girls when I was a teen, and when I was dating someone, I liked hanging out with them, talking, but physical contact wasen't something I liked at the time, like hugs and kisses, was not me for that time, it wasen't till about 20's that I evolved in that respect. I had this one girlfriend, he thought I didn't think she was pretty because I didn't hug her all the time, and never had a obession to kiss, I'm like 30 and had my biscuit I think, my time for finding that someone, is over I believe... my traits that make me cute, also tend to annoy people when they realize I don't change much.



sort30030
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2007
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 337
Location: NJ

30 Dec 2007, 12:04 am

I think it depends completely on the individual. The age doesn't matter.



BeornJ
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 28

30 Dec 2007, 12:25 am

don't worry about it.

Just had my first 'date' last night actually. I'm 19.

People have tried to mock me about it before, but it doesn't concern me, who cares? When something comes it will come.



ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,157
Location: New Jersey

30 Dec 2007, 12:30 am

I'm 19 and still havent had a single date, let alone a girlfriend...

I don't feel that there's any pressure coming in from society that "I'm too old to not have dated" (although pressure comes in for other reasons)... my only "dating" pressure to speak of is an internal one (that being I feel so alone in the world)...



sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Sep 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 847

30 Dec 2007, 7:24 am

I think the perceived norm in this respect is very, very different to the actual norm. If you believe the media you think that people start having relationships in their early/mid teens and don't stop. Get talking to some real people and you realise it isn't the case.

Having said that, I had my first boyfriend when I was fifteen. It lasted 6 months. I feel like when I was younger my odd-ness was quite cute, whereas now i'm an adult I feel like a great big lanky freak sometimes. I did better in my teens.



Topher
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 430
Location: Bristol

30 Dec 2007, 11:39 am

sarahstilettos wrote:
I think the perceived norm in this respect is very, very different to the actual norm. If you believe the media you think that people start having relationships in their early/mid teens and don't stop. Get talking to some real people and you realise it isn't the case.

Having said that, I had my first boyfriend when I was fifteen. It lasted 6 months. I feel like when I was younger my odd-ness was quite cute, whereas now i'm an adult I feel like a great big lanky freak sometimes. I did better in my teens.


likewise, im pushing 19 and when people think im odd, it's not in the nice sort of way. At Uni people tend to shy away form me and hardly come to visit. When i had my last relationship at 16 my girlfriend found my general manner cute and amusing. I always assumed people got a more mature and better outlook on life as they got older.



kicken18
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 50
Location: Kent, England

30 Dec 2007, 12:48 pm

From what I know, the whole "dating" thing is very differnt in England to America, this is largely from the wide range of crappy american programs we get, and my sister working in america for a few months one summer. I wouldn't say, from anything I've seen in England, the dating thing works the same, sure people meet maybe go out for a drink or something, but I have never heard anyone young refear to anything about which date it is, or what you can do by which point, I guess thigns work different when your yonger, obviouslly ebing 21 I can't say what it's like for a 35 year old say.

But people just do what they do when they do, I mean I started having relationships at about 12-13 and having sex mid teen, but that's just me nobody else influenced that, so i wouldnt worry what other people do, I think if a lot of Aspie's did that we'd never leave the house in fear or doing the wrong thing



AdrianB
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2007
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 291

30 Dec 2007, 3:15 pm

The dating norm constantly lowers because kids want to be more and more "grown up" faster and faster.
Which leads to situations like 11y/o kids kissing or 13y/o kids having sex.



kicken18
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 50
Location: Kent, England

30 Dec 2007, 3:22 pm

Yeah there are plenty of cases of 12 year olds wanting to go on the pill, ahh in my day everyone lost their vaginity at 15 lol



biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,444

14 Apr 2015, 6:33 pm

I don't notice that much of a norm as to when one must have a first relationship--it's accepted that some people date more and earlier than others. Where the norm is much "harsher" is in terms of what kind of relationship one is looking for at what age. In other words, whether someone starts dating at age 13 or at age 28, it is assumed that in early 30s people who DO find someone to date are thinking about a serious relationship and possible marriage. This means that it's hard to find a "13-year-old-type" of relationship (with another individual of any age) as a 28-year-old--you have to "wade" through the same pool as people who are looking for a relationship that's normative for 28-yer-olds.

This shows up in that there are many places for 13-year-olds to hang out with others who are just starting to date, but there are no structured events/groups specifically reserved for people in their 30s who are at the same stage in their dating development. There are not even dating groups/services for people in their late 20s and 30s that do activities like minigolf, games running around on fields, etc. that younger people typically do on dates--it's all dinner and dress-up kind of crap, in addition to "nightlife".



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,795
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Apr 2015, 1:27 am

I never paid much attention to dating standards. I had no interest in dating till I stumbled into an online relationship at 20.


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"

~King Of The Hill


Antharis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 84
Location: Land of Colours and Night

15 Apr 2015, 1:56 am

"Norms" are formed by what is reported, and so much goes undocumented that they're not worth paying attention to.

Ultimately you date when you find someone you feel comfortable enough to intimate with. Paying attention to arbitrary norms just forces you to do things at someone else's pace rather than yours, and to make choices you are bound to regret.

It's nobody's business but yours when and who you date anyway, and you could be unwittingly overlooked by awesome people because you tied yourself to a dud for the sake of the norms.