The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 3:58 pm

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 8:07 pm

Paying for dinner is a controversial subject.

Here's the way I see it:

1. During the initial courting process, the person who initiates the date, should be the one who pays. It is seen as polite, if you at least offer to cover your half, though. The wrong thing to do, would be to slide the bill over to the other person.

2. Neither sex should expect the other person to pick up the tab for them. Doing so is a sign of entitlement. Also, times have changed from when the man was the sole provider, and women work just as much as men do nowadays, so this argument just doesn't hold water anymore.

3. There is nothing wrong with treating the other person to a nice evening every once in awhile, but this shouldn't be a one-sided thing.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 8:09 pm

As long as you take her name in marriage. :wink:

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 8:39 pm

SilverStar wrote:
2. Neither sex should expect the other person to pick up the tab for them. Doing so is a sign of entitlement. Also, times have changed from when the man was the sole provider, and women work just as much as men do nowadays, so this argument just doesn't hold water anymore.

One can infer from market logic that expecting the other person to pay means their company is less valuable to you by itself than yours is to them, so they have to make up for the difference with money---or else you would't grant them the privilege of dining with you. This holds water no matter the sexes of the two people or how much they work.

Of course, the traditional premise is that the woman has inherent value as a pleasure object and a breeder---hence property---whereas the man's worth is up to his accomplishments. This way, the woman is always doing the man a favor merely by letting him interact with her, a favor which even has the cost of lowering her appeal to other, possibly worthier suitors, so naturally he has to pay her back somehow. Besides, there's no way the woman can be partially paid by enjoying the man's company, because admitting that enjoyment too much would get her branded a slut.

SilverStar wrote:
3. There is nothing wrong with treating the other person to a nice evening every once in awhile, but this shouldn't be a one-sided thing.

If one person is more valuable as a companion to the other than vice-versa, the latter has to pay the former back routinely or give up the privilege of hanging out with them.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Jul 2015, 9:12 pm

I feel guilty if I don't pay unless it's my birthday but there's many things my girlfriend pays for & there's things I'm supposed to pay for sense we're living together & dinning out or ordering pizza is one of them. We would do those things a lot less if she was responsible for paying sense it's cheaper to prepare a meal at home & she doesn't have much money thou I don't have a lot either.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

elkclan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 4:46 am

First date? The person who asks (and often chooses the venue) is the person who pays. Yes, this is usually the man.

As you go through your relationship it should be more reciprocal. Maybe not always buying the dinner, but buying other things, etc.

If you've got problems getting a date anyway, why would you complicate matters by insisting she pays (at least half) during the first date? A guaranteed way to ensure you don't get a second date or indeed a dinner (eventually) bought by her.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 4:54 am

Back when I was single, if I asked a guy out I paid for the date. Whoever asks the other person out should pay for the date unless they state up front that you are going Dutch. I've had no problems paying for the meal or wherever we went when I asked a guy out. The guy usually had more problems with it than I did. They also usually had problems with the fact that when we took my car, I drove.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 7:59 am

elkclan wrote:
First date? The person who asks (and often chooses the venue) is the person who pays. Yes, this is usually the man.

As you go through your relationship it should be more reciprocal. Maybe not always buying the dinner, but buying other things, etc.

Have you watched all the video? I think not.

And he didn't only talked about dinner.

He talked about the women's entitlement that men should pay, you can see some of the women who confronted him do feel entitled to the man's money just because they are women - like the one who said "I give birth...I have PMS...etc".

And the guy gave an excellent entitlement example: Vacation, which usually the man pays everything.

I like the part where he said "When you go with your girlfriend on vacation - you pay, when you go with your girlfriend who makes more money than you, you pay - but when cock is involved you suddenly become poor?".

This entitlement is real and very common among women, he is really not being unfair.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 8:28 am

It's not entitlement to set your rules for dating someone. Your way or the highway. Besides, demanding that the man pay for everything is a good way to filter out those who can't afford it, and they have every right to do so.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 8:36 am

The person who initiates / asks for the date should pay, no matter if it's the first date or any date thereafter.

So, if your girlfriend starts whining that the you have not taken her on a date in a while, tell her that it's her turn to pay.

Be sure to post a video of what happens next.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 9:48 am

I could cook dinner at my place
I thought the guy takes you at the resto because he wouldn't do that. :D

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 10:21 am

I don't have any problem with paying--besides, I know lots of great places to eat, many near neat places to go to. :D

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 11:37 am

traven wrote:
I thought the guy takes you at the resto because he wouldn't do that. :D

Do you think he'd make a good impression that way? Wouldn't it look like he's making dinner because he's such a cheapskate he doesn't want to spend the money to take you to the restaurant, or, worse, because he can't afford it?

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 11:38 am

You don't need to eat in order to meet the girl you like.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 12:20 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
It's not entitlement to set your rules for dating someone. Your way or the highway. Besides, demanding that the man pay for everything is a good way to filter out those who can't afford it, and they have every right to do so.

so people have a right to be self centered, superficial horrible people. is this what you want all of humanity to be. this is sexual equality that feminism wanted? or is it an inequality where women are more powerful then men and treated like gods for having vagina. women work and make money now they should just provide for themselves.
so much entitlement. you wonder why so many men feel entitled to sex, well its because so many women feel entitled to a mans money.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Jul 2015, 12:25 pm

The Avril Lavigne song, The Best Damn Thing is a perfect example of that female entitlement.

Quote:
I hate it when a guy doesn't get the door
Even though I told him yesterday and the day before
I hate it when a guy doesn't get the tab
And I have to pull my money out, and that looks bad

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition