A romance that will never be... it broke my heart

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2012, 12:30 pm

A couple weeks ago my town library had me do a presentation and book signing of my published memoir "Problem Child." Toward the end of the presentation a DROP DEAD BEAUTIFUL young woman walked into the room and stood in the back. She was gorgeous, with features that could rival a model's. When about two other people were left in the room, the girl walked up and said to me, "I just wanted to thank you for writing this book. I have Asperger's and it means so much to me. I feel like you're one of the only people out there who gets me." Before I could even get a stunned "You're welcome" out of my mouth, the girl left the room. It wasn't clear to me whether she had read the book or simply knew the ins and outs of my story from the press I had gotten. The girl started talking with another of the people who had attended the lecture in the library foyer, while I was left talking to this one person who went rambling on about the benefits of naturopathic remedies.

After the naturalist had finally left, I went to the foyer to talk to the girl, but she was gone. The man who had been talking to her told me that she left in tears, that her mother refused to acknowledge her disability and would destroy the book if she ever caught her reading it. I looked outside, but the guy said that she had already driven away in a Cadillac.

It makes me so sad, to think that this heartachingly beautiful girl who I could have connected with is gone forever and I will never see her again. :cry: :cry:

Check out "Problem Child," my published memoir of life with autism.

GDOBSSOR
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Mar 2012, 3:57 am

It saddens me to think that there are people like that girl's mother in the world. Sorry, but people who seriously think like that just need to die. Do you have a list of people who attended the lecture, or could you find out from other guests who were there who she might be?

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 4:04 am

Sounds like you missed the opportunity, her comment sounded quite inviting and you probably should have responded. Don't beat yourself up about it, everyone has those missed opportunities where they wish they had done something differently, you'll recover from this and who knows, she might even turn up at another lecture.

tronist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2012, 11:21 pm

Wolfheart wrote:
Sounds like you missed the opportunity, her comment sounded quite inviting and you probably should have responded. Don't beat yourself up about it, everyone has those missed opportunities where they wish they had done something differently, you'll recover from this and who knows, she might even turn up at another lecture.
this.

next time you get a feeling, no hesitation! talk to her more! maybe get her phone number or something :D

Narfibald
Raven
Raven

22 Mar 2012, 11:41 pm

Hey, I grew up a military brat, and you'd be surprised how many people from my past I've run into. Who knows when you might see her again. I mean, don't count on it, but it could happen.

--Narfibald Narfchester von Narfington
--Lord of Castle Narfenstein
--Ruler of the Narfshire
--Keeper of the Tome of Narf
--Aspergian in Good Standing