Why is it girls have an easier time getting dates than guys?

Page 14 of 43 [ 673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 43  Next

AR1500
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Dec 2015, 2:52 pm

wilburforce wrote:
NerdyAnimeGirl wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
So in a sense women just lay back and let men do all the work?

Not just 'in a sense', this is quite literally the case.
Whens the last time you were chased by a girl?
Girls get hit on on the daily if they are at least average attractiveness.
You might be a statisical outlier but most men aren't hit on by girls nearly as often as this.
Of course, me being aspie I didn't notice this -- in hindsight it was true.
But NT girls know this intrinsically.

This is a pretty sexist statement. And untrue. I chased a couple of my boyfriends and asked for the first date myself. This isn't 1950, the world has moved on from those old stereotypes--you can move on with it or get left in the dust.

These are nothing but anecdotes. Online dating is quite different where women sometimes do the chasing initially. Nature is sexist, whether you like it or not. There are statistically measurable differences in the behavior of men and women(and that even applies to trans people). I have never been chased by a woman IRL even though I don't deny it happens sometimes.....why do you suppose that is? The only time a woman has ever engaged in "chasing" behavior towards me offline is when she is flirting with me and in each situation like that, when I try to pursue it with her she runs off because she realized she gave me the wrong idea.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 2:56 pm

And what is the problem with Anecdote? LOL

Statistics frequently don't reflect what's really "happening."

Nobody has 2.3 kids, or 1.8 cars in their garage.

Anecdote serves as a necessary adjunct/complement to statistical measures. It is an essential component of what is called "Qualitative Research."

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 3:15 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
I dunno, all the single guys I know who are over 30 are all pretty picky. No one seems to be good enough for them. They've also got used to their own lives and their own habits and don't seem to be able to let anyone in.

There really is no truth in the idea that one gender has it easier. Broken people of either gender are inferior and not going to be selected. That's the way it is. If you are sub-standard, you are not attractive. Doesn't matter what gender you are.
So that's my problem, it's just because I'm broken and inferior. That explains everything. :o

Well, that's really just how I feel about myself. It's subjective. Maybe how I am isn't quite what most men are looking for. Not as good as all the normal women they can choose from, but you never know, maybe for one person I'll meet when I'm 55, I'll be exactly what he was looking for.

I didn't mean that to be take personally. I'm just making the point that it's not easier for women, counteracting the popular misconception that looks are all that matter and that if you're pretty you'll be snapped up no problem.

AR1500
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Dec 2015, 3:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
And what is the problem with Anecdote? LOL

Statistics frequently don't reflect what's really "happening."

Nobody has 2.3 kids, or 1.8 cars in their garage.

Anecdote serves as a necessary adjunct/complement to statistical measures. It is an essential component of what is called "Qualitative Research."

You're right. Trouble is that wilburforce makes it sound like this sort of thing is commonplace, but when I go out into the world and talk to real people I see no evidence that women ask men out to the same extent that men ask out women. DO NOT MISINTERPRET ME: This is not a claim that it never happpens! But until I observe it I am going to be skeptical. It is has certainly never happened to me. People just don't practice what they preach too often. One thing you have to keep in mind is that advertising is based on the belief that there are statistically measurable patterns in terms of what people want and what they respond to. Certain things are marketed to men and certain things are marketed to women and there is extensive market research on what people want to buy based on their sex(or sexuality). And it PAY$ OFF. Big time! Stereotypes are like rumors: Some of them are patently false, but others turn out to be true more than 50% of the time. No 2 people are exactly alike, but maybe....just maybe people really aren't as "yooneek" and "speshul" as they like to think they are.

I

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 3:29 pm

hurtloam wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
I dunno, all the single guys I know who are over 30 are all pretty picky. No one seems to be good enough for them. They've also got used to their own lives and their own habits and don't seem to be able to let anyone in.

There really is no truth in the idea that one gender has it easier. Broken people of either gender are inferior and not going to be selected. That's the way it is. If you are sub-standard, you are not attractive. Doesn't matter what gender you are.
So that's my problem, it's just because I'm broken and inferior. That explains everything. :o
Well, that's really just how I feel about myself. It's subjective. Maybe how I am isn't quite what most men are looking for. Not as good as all the normal women they can choose from, but you never know, maybe for one person I'll meet when I'm 55, I'll be exactly what he was looking for.

I didn't mean that to be take personally. I'm just making the point that it's not easier for women, counteracting the popular misconception that looks are all that matter and that if you're pretty you'll be snapped up no problem.
It's OK, it's not your fault I took it personally. I always think negatively about myself. I always think of myself as inferior. I had my first, brief relationship when I was 27, I see teenaged couples and I think I must be inferior, like at 27 I had the same intelligence and maturity and an average teenager.

You're right that it's not easier for women. The problem some women have of not getting asked out is just as bad as the problem men have of asking women out and getting rejected. It must be very difficult for women who never ever get asked out. Just as hard as it is for guys who get nervous about asking girls out.

I know that there are some guys who think all would be solved if only girls asked guys out. I have nothing against girls who ask guys out but it's not a complete solution. It's like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Just shifting the same problem elsewhere.

I know there are many guys who feel nervous about asking girls out but if we had a culture were girls did the asking, then many girls would feel nervous about asking guys out and it would be exactly the same problem, just gender reversed.

I know it must be very hard for plain looking women who hardly ever get asked out. I'm sure in some ways it's hard for the really pretty women who get hit on all the time but at least they have their pick.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 3:45 pm

My female friends really don't like asking men out because they feel like if the man actually was interested he would ask first because it's what men do.

For them to ask the man they would need to feel certain he liked them, but wasn't asking them because he was too shy.

Although I do have some female friends who asked the man out or who even proposed marriage, but they are in the minority.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 5:29 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

It's OK, it's not your fault I took it personally. I always think negatively about myself. I always think of myself as inferior. I had my first, brief relationship when I was 27, I see teenaged couples and I think I must be inferior, like at 27 I had the same intelligence and maturity and an average teenager.

You're right that it's not easier for women. The problem some women have of not getting asked out is just as bad as the problem men have of asking women out and getting rejected. It must be very difficult for women who never ever get asked out. Just as hard as it is for guys who get nervous about asking girls out.

I know that there are some guys who think all would be solved if only girls asked guys out. I have nothing against girls who ask guys out but it's not a complete solution. It's like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Just shifting the same problem elsewhere.

I know there are many guys who feel nervous about asking girls out but if we had a culture were girls did the asking, then many girls would feel nervous about asking guys out and it would be exactly the same problem, just gender reversed.

I know it must be very hard for plain looking women who hardly ever get asked out. I'm sure in some ways it's hard for the really pretty women who get hit on all the time but at least they have their pick.

and it seems there are more male FA's 25+ years of age than female FA's that are 25+ years of age, as in always been single, maybe women are less vocal about it than men are

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 6:23 pm

If you’re pretty, a lot of guys will want to hit on you, but they may know better than to act on their desire.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 6:32 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
If you’re pretty, a lot of guys will want to hit on you, but they may know better than to act on their desire.

Yep or just women in general as 90% or more of women I find pretty

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 6:50 pm

It does happen---women asking out men---but it's not common.

Especially away from major metropolitan areas and college towns, the old gender roles still hold sway.

There is probably more respect for women than there was a couple of generations ago, though. Womens Lib has made inroads.

But women, by and large, still expect men to ask them out on dates.

Within an academic environment, or the "hip" parts of relatively liberal East/West Coast cities (within a US context), women might be more likely to ask a man out.

Within the suburbs of these cities....nope. Not really. Except rarely.

AR1500
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Dec 2015, 7:14 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It does happen---women asking out men---but it's not common.

Especially away from major metropolitan areas and college towns, the old gender roles still hold sway.

There is probably more respect for women than there was a couple of generations ago, though. Womens Lib has made inroads.

But women, by and large, still expect men to ask them out on dates.

Within an academic environment, or the "hip" parts of relatively liberal East/West Coast cities (within a US context), women might be more likely to ask a man out.

Within the suburbs of these cities....nope. Not really. Except rarely.

I've been in academic environments and I live in a fairly hip part of the PacNW, and this behavior you speak of is still pretty uncommon even here. A woman asking a man out is viewed by many people as being desperate unless the guy is actively checking her out since it's assumed that if she's the least bit attractive men will ask her out. For the most part I see plenty of men asking out women and plenty of stories from women about "creeeepy" guys hitting on them.

What I actually suspect is that for a guy to be asked out, he has to be VERY desirable and/or ultra-high status. Most guys just don't have that kind of luck. I mean, you know there are male prostitutes that sleep with women, right? They're called "hustlers" or "gigolos" but there are far fewer of them and if I or the average man tried to earn a living that way I'd be lucky to get 1 woman in the space of a year.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 7:18 pm

You know what that means, then.

You have to ask a girl out. Don't wait for girls to ask you out.

Such is life in this big, bad world.

Yeah...it might not be "fair" or whatever---but life is not always fair.

I'm a pretty shy guy. I used to visibly shake when I used to ask girls out.

If I waited for a girl to ask me out, I'd still be a dateless virgin at age 54.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 8:21 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
NerdyAnimeGirl wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

You might be a statisical outlier but most men aren't hit on by girls nearly as often as this.

This is a pretty sexist statement. And untrue. I chased a couple of my boyfriends and asked for the first date myself. This isn't 1950, the world has moved on from those old stereotypes--you can move on with it or get left in the dust.

your profile says you are male

When I signed up I chose male on my profile because I thought I might be able to avoid some sexist nonsense that way--I have since been unable to change my profile to reflect that I am female.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 8:25 pm

AR1500 wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
NerdyAnimeGirl wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

These are nothing but anecdotes. Online dating is quite different where women sometimes do the chasing initially. Nature is sexist, whether you like it or not. There are statistically measurable differences in the behavior of men and women(and that even applies to trans people). I have never been chased by a woman IRL even though I don't deny it happens sometimes.....why do you suppose that is? The only time a woman has ever engaged in "chasing" behavior towards me offline is when she is flirting with me and in each situation like that, when I try to pursue it with her she runs off because she realized she gave me the wrong idea.

Well, since we live in a sexist culture (still) and still teach our children outmoded sexist stereotypes about what it means to be male and female, that is to be expected. That doesn't mean however that men and women are biologically determined to have different behaviour based on sex alone, or that there aren't many people who don't conform to those stereotypes because their sexist social training didn't really take for various reasons, or that things might be different in the future and we might see less difference between the sexes in regards to behaviour if we stop teaching sexist stereotypes and let people grow into who they want to be naturally without forcing stupid outmoded gender roles on them.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Dec 2015, 8:39 pm

The idea that we're somehow going to transition to society with completely fluid gender roles is pretty silly I think, women aren't ever going to in any significant number initiate relationships simply because most don't have to and most guys do so unless there are way way more women than men in the future and the value of men goes up be it thru war or whatever then I don't see things ever really changing as far as that goes and that would only change as long as the imbalance goes. Not to say some women initiate but most don't, once again it's just biology. We just have to accept that men and women are different, it just sucks that I'm essentially a social cripple and what is expected out of me is exactly what I can't do but I can't change nature. It is stupid to demand and even stupider to expect women to ask you out, that's not how it works for us.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 8:49 pm

Jacoby wrote:
The idea that we're somehow going to transition to society with completely fluid gender roles is pretty silly I think, women aren't ever going to in any significant number initiate relationships simply because most don't have to and most guys do so unless there are way way more women than men in the future and the value of men goes up be it thru war or whatever then I don't see things ever really changing as far as that goes and that would only change as long as the imbalance goes. Not to say some women initiate but most don't, once again it's just biology. We just have to accept that men and women are different, it just sucks that I'm essentially a social cripple and what is expected out of me is exactly what I can't do but I can't change nature.

Biological essentialism is not supported by scientific evidence (what we are is a complex mix of nature vs nurture--our genes, our family lives, our communities, and our culture all effect our development), and is a weak argument relied on by people who have trouble with nuanced concepts and can't think beyond rigid black-and-white constructs.