Why is this often the case with blondes?

Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 12:57 pm

I am 5ft7 with skin that can actually go a good deal brown in the summer. I have hazel-brown eyes with brown hair and natural blonde highlights. A famous person I look the most like is Lionel messi.

Guess I am not the ideal huh?

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2016, 11:05 pm

http://oktrends.okcupid.com has some neat, albeit slightly depressing, data on relative attraction between racial groups. Seems like there is a strong trend for people to prefer their own race. It doesn't single out arab or blonde, but I figure blondes are pretty much all white.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 12:32 am

I think it's entirely normal for people to want to only date their own race. People are likely going to find more in common with those of the same ethnic and cultural background, for one. Some people may also not believe in racial mixing, for various reasons.

One reason could be that they want to preserve their racial and cultural heritage and keep it from being diluted. Having children with one from another ethnic group will eventually water down the cultural ties over generations. Like somebody who is one quarter Chinese, one quarter English, and one half "mixed European heritage" will likely not have strong cultural ties to any of his/her ethnic groups. It's natural, I think, for people to want to maintain their ethnic and cultural identity for the future generations.

Another reason, which probably nobody but nerds like me thinks about, is that by mixing racial populations, we could be losing our evolutionary specializations for the different climates.

I personally would date a man of any race, and I don't think I have any major racial preferences that I'm aware of.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 2:34 am

Cyllya1 wrote:
http://oktrends.okcupid.com has some neat, albeit slightly depressing, data on relative attraction between racial groups. Seems like there is a strong trend for people to prefer their own race. It doesn't single out arab or blonde, but I figure blondes are pretty much all white.

Quote:
men
– non-black men applied a penalty to black women
– while black men showed little racial preference either way

women
– all women preferred men of their own race
– but they otherwise penalized both Asian and black men

It is very real, very true; and it does confirm my observations. Dating is racist.

And in that chart it shows that men are less strict than women when it comes to race and dating.

Men of ALL races like Asian women, Black women are the most disliked among men....they aren't even favored by black men, weird.

Asian women like Asian and White, they generally don't like dark color , even among themselves - in fact, I have noticed many Asians are obsessed with bleaching and whitening products.

Black women like black men, but it doesn't seem mutual at all.

Asian women prefer Asian and White.

White men as a group generally compete all others pretty well, is it the looks? is it the perceived good income maybe? hm?

Lockeye
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Mar 2016, 4:02 am

I went to a open public forum in San Francisco on Valentine's Day in the evening where the CEO of OkCupid and Match was available to answer questions. Yes, there is racism in the numbers, but there are so many other factors on OkCupid that make for successful 'likes' or 'contacts', such as profile detail, and opening statements (mostly men's first emails to women) that affect matches to a greater degree than race factors in.

Also, 'often' is used very subjectively. If you're going just on the data about race for successful contact, +10% from baseline just means that if contact is successful 10 out of 20 emails for example, being white might grant you 11 out of 20 emails that are responded to instead. That's a passive factor you cannot change, but I bet there are a lot of ways you can update a profile and craft a good email that is much more effective than a +10% racial bonus (DnD reference).

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 7:45 am

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 12:56 pm

Yigeren wrote:
I think it's entirely normal for people to want to only date their own race. People are likely going to find more in common with those of the same ethnic and cultural background, for one. Some people may also not believe in racial mixing, for various reasons.

One reason could be that they want to preserve their racial and cultural heritage and keep it from being diluted. Having children with one from another ethnic group will eventually water down the cultural ties over generations. Like somebody who is one quarter Chinese, one quarter English, and one half "mixed European heritage" will likely not have strong cultural ties to any of his/her ethnic groups. It's natural, I think, for people to want to maintain their ethnic and cultural identity for the future generations.

Another reason, which probably nobody but nerds like me thinks about, is that by mixing racial populations, we could be losing our evolutionary specializations for the different climates.

I personally would date a man of any race, and I don't think I have any major racial preferences that I'm aware of.

I am not so sure about losing evolutionary specializations for different climates, I mean I think over time humans can re-adapt and such. Also though with technology and all the crazy thermal winter gear and such they make its not entirely 'necessary' to have those specializations.

I think sometimes ethnicity can factor into how warm or cool you need to dress and things like that. For instance people with more Northern European background have noses adapted to taking in colder air making them more pointy and with smaller nostrils, so if one is of that ethnicity you might not need to put on a scarf in the cold as quick as someone of an ethnicity that lacks that trait. So it can still have some effect, but I don't think a lot of people are really in any danger by living outside their initial climate.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 1:08 pm

I have one interesting observation concerning blondes...every time I see a couple where the female is white and the male is black, its always a blonde female. Of course this is anecdotal, just based on what I see walking around in public so can't say if its any kind of trend or just a coincidence.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 1:36 pm

Europeans' skins are more adapted to produce vitamin D even with dim sunlight.

We current generation of darker people suffer from a significant Vitamin deficiency after shifting to a more indoor lifestyle.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 1:50 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

We current generation of darker people suffer from a significant Vitamin deficiency after shifting to a more indoor lifestyle.

Yet there are vitamin D supplements, which could do some to alleviate that issue. That's what I was getting at, there are things one can do to alleviate some of those ethnic specific issues with climate. So its not entirely necessary people remain in the climate their ethnicity originated, some may find it more pleasant to stick to a climate more natural to them but its not entirely necessary...as there are ways to work around it.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 1:51 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Apparently, according to recent studies "white" people had dark skin for a long time after migrating to colder and less sunny areas. It's only once they switched from being hunter-gatherers to using agriculture that they began to suffer from lack of vitamin D and developed lighter skin over the next few generations. Lack of vitamin D not only causes rickets, but it reduces fertility in women. So those with even slightly lighter skin had a huge advantage once agriculture was brought to Europe, and so now Europeans are white.

And yes, white Europeans produce many times more vitamin D than those with darker skin over a specific time period.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 2:00 pm

People from very hot climates tend to have different body types than those from colder climates. Those of sub-Saharan African descent, for instance, have much longer limbs proportionate to their body than Europeans or East Asians. They also have the ability to stay lean more easily. Plus the facial features, type of hair, etc, are all adapted for that climate.

If I were to go to most places in Africa, I would instantly suffer from the sun and heat. Even sunscreen would not protect my skin. My body type is not adapted to dissipate heat, and it never will be no matter what I do.

If all those of sub-Saharan African descent married into other races, they'd lose some of that ability to withstand the harsh climate in many areas.

I could come up with many more examples.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 2:04 pm

So the only chance for the survival of the darker skin is an outdoor nudity revolution!

Nine7752
Toucan
Toucan

08 Mar 2016, 2:09 pm

Crikey, people are more diverse than their hair or skin color, or even what's in their pants.

If you find a AS-friendly person of whatever variety that you like, just get to know 'em... Every pot has a lid, as they say.

This is a great reminder for me to stay out of the Love/Dating threads, so why am I here now?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 2:15 pm

Yigeren wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Apparently, according to recent studies "white" people had dark skin for a long time after migrating to colder and less sunny areas. It's only once they switched from being hunter-gatherers to using agriculture that they began to suffer from lack of vitamin D and developed lighter skin over the next few generations. Lack of vitamin D not only causes rickets, but it reduces fertility in women. So those with even slightly lighter skin had a huge advantage once agriculture was brought to Europe, and so now Europeans are white.

And yes, white Europeans produce many times more vitamin D than those with darker skin over a specific time period.

So if I am understanding right the darker ones skin the less vitamin D they produce, and the lighter the skin the more vitamin D you produce? I guess I than produce more vitamin D than my dad and my sister who both have darker skin....probably due to the native ethnicity on my dads side of the family. I do however get quite a lot darker in the summer, and get almost repulsively white in the winter.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 2:58 pm

ISIS wouldn't like my revolution idea though.