Libertarian women, a rare site to behold.

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 1:42 pm

I never see any libertarian women anywhere, I do live in Maryland though. It just seems that women are way more prone to be far left politically, or in some cases far right. There seem to be few moderates and even fewer libertarians. I had much better luck talking to women when I was a liberal. Why did I ever take the red pill? Not sure if this belongs here, or in the political thread. Darn me for making some sort of hybrid thread.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

06 Apr 2016, 2:33 pm

A lot of people believe in libertarian principles, maybe they're not voting big L or are hardcore ancaps but I think most people don't want big brother breathing down their back or to fight aggressive wars. I think most people are angry about the same things, I think both sides collude with each other against our interests. I don't think most people put as much thought into political things as I do, what most people believe in makes sense given their environments and life experiences so if you are tolerant of other people from different environments with different life experiences then you have to also be tolerant of other beliefs that might arise out of that otherwise this prized tolerance is complete farce. Instead of calling each other names and whatever buzzwords we have to ponder the why, why do people believe what they believe in? Most people aren't totally without reason or rationality and if you dig into to something I think almost can find common ground because I'm not one of the "1%", I'm not even part of the 90%!

I've given up on -isms and trying to live by some orthodoxy, it's not practical nor does it give you much wiggle room. It's just church, I don't like it, dogmatic theoretical beliefs don't belong in the political process because in a democracy you don't just get to do whatever you want, so there needs to be some pragmatism as well as give and take. If we agree on what the issues are then there is no reason why we can't work some sort of deal out that tackles these glaring problems.

America needs to turn inward because this country is literally falling apart; our infrastructure is crumbling, our government expenditures are record high but they aren't record efficient by any stretch, we fight these wars and what do we get out of them? Trillions in debt, thousands and thousands of dead and wonders soldiers, untold civilian causalities, and deteriorating security situation. The people we have had running this country for the last 30 or even more years have been running this country into the ground, you can't send a boy scout into the lion's den and a lot of these politicians are crooked from the start but there are genuinely good people who just can't make a dent because they have the personality, the money, or the stature to stand up for pro-American policies not pro-Wall Street, not big business, none of the special interests.

honestly I think I should just avoid talking about it :P

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 3:07 pm

This is irrelevant, but your thread title make me chuckle.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 3:32 pm

I'd say I am largely on the left to simplify....however I certainly have some opinions and ideas that many on the left would give me strange looks for expressing. Also in the left there exists a demograpic of socially conservative democrats, and I can't stand them....I mean its like the people on the right who want religious legislation applied basically people trying to dictate morality in such a way it would interfere with our rights and freedom exist on both the right and the left. I also cannot help thinking that describing politics as left or right, doesn't make a ton of sense and kind of simplifies too much.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 5:52 pm

Being on the left is a default position as it's taught in school and college.

It takes an independent mind to start researching things and coming to some different conclusions.,

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 5:53 pm

slenkar wrote:
Being on the left is a default position as it's taught in school and college.

It takes an independent mind to start researching things and coming to some different conclusions.,

Exactly. Sadly, I see less and less women doing this.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 5:59 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I'd say I am largely on the left to simplify....however I certainly have some opinions and ideas that many on the left would give me strange looks for expressing. Also in the left there exists a demograpic of socially conservative democrats, and I can't stand them....I mean its like the people on the right who want religious legislation applied basically people trying to dictate morality in such a way it would interfere with our rights and freedom exist on both the right and the left. I also cannot help thinking that describing politics as left or right, doesn't make a ton of sense and kind of simplifies too much.

Hmmm, this video would pretty much describe what I mean by leftest and how being too far right is just as bad.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 6:03 pm

I strongly believe in a Republic over a Democracy, because the average person is prone to be ignorant and easily brainwashed.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 6:18 pm

CommanderKeen wrote:
I strongly believe in a Republic over a Democracy, because the average person is prone to be ignorant and easily brainwashed.

I would say the average person is more ignorant and easily brainwashed in republic or 'representative democracy' than would be if there was a more real democracy. Something like the Ludlow Amendment is something was a pretty good idea I think, why shouldn't the US people have the final say on certain legislation? Perhaps we need a more modern government, our founders did not create this country and there is no wonder that it no longer functions as it once did. There was supposed to be a balance between the federal government, the states, and the people and that has been totally thrown out of wack because now it's feds>state>people when it should be the other way around. We need decentralization and more governance that you can hold accountable. More direct democracy, less cronyism, people need to stop being so stupid to think we are actually electing politicians that are somehow specially qualified and knowledgeable about the issues when most don't even read the bills they vote on. Retirement for a congressman is like winning the lottery, it's not because these people are super duper smart. Common folks are a lot smarter than given credit for and they are who should control this country, not the lawyers or the bankers or lifetime politicians. I believe we can handle this responsibility and I believe we would be better off because the specials interests cannot buy off the American people like they can one congressman. Cut out the middle man, then let the people directly advocate for themselves and I am confident that it will turn out better more times than it is currently. People care about their checkbooks, their jobs, their children, they do not care about the oil interests of BP or 'making the world safe for democracy'. It's one big joke.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 6:28 pm

Jacoby wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:

I would say the average person is more ignorant and easily brainwashed in republic or 'representative democracy' than would be if there was a more real democracy. Something like the Ludlow Amendment is something was a pretty good idea I think, why shouldn't the US people have the final say on certain legislation? Perhaps we need a more modern government, our founders did not create this country and there is no wonder that it no longer functions as it once did. There was supposed to be a balance between the federal government, the states, and the people and that has been totally thrown out of wack because now it's feds>state>people when it should be the other way around. We need decentralization and more governance that you can hold accountable. More direct democracy, less cronyism, people need to stop being so stupid to think we are actually electing politicians that are somehow specially qualified and knowledgeable about the issues when most don't even read the bills they vote on. Retirement for a congressman is like winning the lottery, it's not because these people are super duper smart. Common folks are a lot smarter than given credit for and they are who should control this country, not the lawyers or the bankers or lifetime politicians. I believe we can handle this responsibility and I believe we would be better off because the specials interests cannot buy off the American people like they can one congressman. Cut out the middle man, then let the people directly advocate for themselves and I am confident that it will turn out better more times than it is currently. People care about their checkbooks, their jobs, their children, they do not care about the oil interests of BP or 'making the world safe for democracy'. It's one big joke.

We don't disagree on some things here. I am very big on states rights and local government running things over federal. I believe in a very, very weak federal government. I am pro-capitalism and very anti-corporatism. I'm against the government picking winners and losers. The problem with pure democracy, is it doesn't have a frame work to prevent the government from doing what it wants, as long as the people are for it. The majority of the people in the US are Christian, especially in the south. Let's say people in Georgia voted to outlaw pagan worship, they could in a democracy. A lot of the problems in this country are due to ignoring the Constitution and Bill of Rights. We would be in much worse shape if we didn't have that frame work, even worse of shape than we are now.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 6:38 pm

Libertarian isn't really on the same axis as left an right, to be pedantic.

You have authoritarian right and left.

I'm more towards libertarian socially. I think you will find people who believe in this ideal.

The problem is in the US Libertarianism, tends to mean Conservative who is not religious, who claimes not to like protectionism except when it suits them.

This is somewhat different from the 19th century origins.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 6:42 pm

Yes as a leftist I agree with Jacoby.

I find it to be illusion that the politicians know so much more than 'the people'.

Right-winged people usually argue 'the people' are too politically ignorant to vote correctly, but fact of the matter is politicians are just as, if not more idiotic than 'the people', they're usually just slimy bastards who are manipulative and choose their words carefully enough to convince the people of whatever they're saying, when it's usually just absolute nonsense.

The only kind of people I find to be the most politically ignorant, are both the extreme left and extreme right, or just extremists in general - too stuck on one side of the fence to ever see things from a different angle.

For instance, while I'm left, I can still see how a Libertarian society could work, and would greatly prefer it over Corporatism or Capitalism (though Capitalism usually isn't that bad either, at least capitalism pre-Bush was decent in the U.S.).

Now, I'm sure there's plenty of left women who can see where you're coming from - so long as they're not extremists.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 6:43 pm

CommanderKeen wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:

We don't disagree on some things here. I am very big on states rights and local government running things over federal. I believe in a very, very weak federal government. I am pro-capitalism and very anti-corporatism. I'm against the government picking winners and losers. The problem with pure democracy, is it doesn't have a frame work to prevent the government from doing what it wants, as long as the people are for it. The majority of the people in the US are Christian, especially in the south. Let's say people in Georgia voted to outlaw pagan worship, they could in a democracy. A lot of the problems in this country are due to ignoring the Constitution and Bill of Rights. We would be in much worse shape if we didn't have that frame work, even worse of shape than we are now.

It is these politicians that ignore and undermine our constitution, it's not the people. We keep electing people who make these promises they never keep, that's not our fault. We have a constitution to protects our liberties, that is what is stopping Georgia from outlawing pagan worship. I do not believe if that was put up to vote that it would pass, even Mississippi voted down abortion restrictions so I am really not too worried about a theocracy springing up in a America. We've actually had one before, that is what the Mormon church was until they were brought into the mainstream about 100 years ago when they abandoned polygamy and we're seeing the final remnants of the FLDS who's control over two towns on the Arizona border is reminiscent to the Taliban but no brown people were harmed so nobody seemed to care or notice for the last century.

A laboratory of democracy is a good, if you don't like one state then vote with your feet. We need a new form of governance because interests more powerful than the individual can control a republic or representative democracy, we need to be able to protect ourselves these powerful entities and it is impossible if they are capable of essentially buying the government and achieving regulatory capture. This government doesn't work for common folk because it is not set up to help us, it is set up to do the bidding of the most powerful and connected. The people need a voice and they don't have one right now.

seems like this thread has gone more the politics route, it's interesting but probably not for this forum

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 7:31 pm

Outrider wrote:
Yes as a leftist I agree with Jacoby.

I find it to be illusion that the politicians know so much more than 'the people'.

Right-winged people usually argue 'the people' are too politically ignorant to vote correctly, but fact of the matter is politicians are just as, if not more idiotic than 'the people', they're usually just slimy bastards who are manipulative and choose their words carefully enough to convince the people of whatever they're saying, when it's usually just absolute nonsense.

The only kind of people I find to be the most politically ignorant, are both the extreme left and extreme right, or just extremists in general - too stuck on one side of the fence to ever see things from a different angle.

For instance, while I'm left, I can still see how a Libertarian society could work, and would greatly prefer it over Corporatism or Capitalism (though Capitalism usually isn't that bad either, at least capitalism pre-Bush was decent in the U.S.).

Now, I'm sure there's plenty of left women who can see where you're coming from - so long as they're not extremists.

Corporatism is not Capitalism.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 7:33 pm

I don't think any other women are going to post in this thread, I hope I'm wrong; more female input would be nice.

AR15000
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Apr 2016, 7:46 pm

CommanderKeen wrote:
I never see any libertarian women anywhere, I do live in Maryland though. It just seems that women are way more prone to be far left politically, or in some cases far right. There seem to be few moderates and even fewer libertarians. I had much better luck talking to women when I was a liberal. Why did I ever take the red pill? Not sure if this belongs here, or in the political thread. Darn me for making some sort of hybrid thread.

That's probably because women aren't idiots about this sort of thing. :mrgreen: