Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 8:03 pm

I met a man this morning, he message me, I been talking to him all day, he told me he works for the USA Army, he has deployment to Western Africa in Nigeria.

I been on alot of dating sites in the past, they had warnings on scams, I copy & paste it, so I would remember it.

Do all people in USA Army that works in Nigeria, are they bad people? Please tell me he is not bad?

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 8:08 pm

I would be cautious. As long as he doesn't ask for you to send money or anything their may be no harm in continuing talking to him. If in doubt reverse image search a picture of him to see if he is what he says he is

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 8:57 pm

My scam-alarms are going off. If he asks for money - for any reason - break contact with him immediately!

This article should interest you: Army investigators warn public about romance scams

Quote:
The majority of the "romance scams," are being perpetrated on social media and dating-type websites where unsuspecting females are the main target.

The criminals are pretending to be U.S. servicemen, routinely serving in a combat zone. The perpetrators will often take the true rank and name of a U.S. Soldier who is honorably serving his country somewhere in the world, or has previously served and been honorably discharged, then marry that up with some photographs of a Soldier off the internet, and then build a false identity to begin prowling the internet for victims.

The scams often involve carefully worded romantic requests for money from the victim to purchase special laptop computers, international telephones, military leave papers, and transportation fees to be used by the fictitious "deployed Soldier" so their false relationship can continue. The scams include asking the victim to send money, often thousands of dollars at a time...

Please read the entire article.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 12:47 am

Don't think any army troops are in Nigeria. Just marines doing embassy duty and special forces.

Seems there's been quite a lot scams by people saying they are army troops in Nigeria then months later saying they need money to get home and are wounded, because the us military just abandons their wounded in foreign nations :roll:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 1:10 am

He is a scam.

Yes, do a reverse image, and better.....INSIST to show you himself on skype.

Scammers know well that a lot of ladies find soldiers sexy....hence why the army man scam is probably the most common scam tactic used on women.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 1:12 am

I'm afraid the chances are about 99% that it's a scammer.

There Are Four Lights!

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 2:15 am

Fnord wrote:
My scam-alarms are going off. If he asks for money - for any reason - break contact with him immediately!

This article should interest you: Army investigators warn public about romance scams

Quote:
The majority of the "romance scams," are being perpetrated on social media and dating-type websites where unsuspecting females are the main target.

The criminals are pretending to be U.S. servicemen, routinely serving in a combat zone. The perpetrators will often take the true rank and name of a U.S. Soldier who is honorably serving his country somewhere in the world, or has previously served and been honorably discharged, then marry that up with some photographs of a Soldier off the internet, and then build a false identity to begin prowling the internet for victims.

The scams often involve carefully worded romantic requests for money from the victim to purchase special laptop computers, international telephones, military leave papers, and transportation fees to be used by the fictitious "deployed Soldier" so their false relationship can continue. The scams include asking the victim to send money, often thousands of dollars at a time...

How will I know if he is telling the truth or lying? Men try to scams me before, luckily I didn't fall for it, I knew about requesting money & misspelled words too.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 4:22 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
How will I know if he is telling the truth or lying? Men try to scams me before, luckily I didn't fall for it, I knew about requesting money & misspelled words too.

Put it this way....he is in Nigeria, so there is no realistic chance of a proper relationship anyway, so scam or not it's probably not worth sticking with.

I agree with what others have said though, defo sounds like a scammer. Google for stories of women scammed on dating sites and see if any of it sounds familiar.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 4:39 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Quote:

Copy his profile picture onto your desktop and then do a google image on his picture in order to find if he really is who he says he is or if he is using a fake picture. Also, I wouldn't be interested in someone who is away in another country and I couldn't meet in person since there then there is no realistic potential for a relationship anyway.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 6:31 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
My scam-alarms are going off. If he asks for money - for any reason - break contact with him immediately! This article should interest you: Army investigators warn public about romance scams
Quote:
The majority of the "romance scams," are being perpetrated on social media and dating-type websites where unsuspecting females are the main target. The criminals are pretending to be U.S. servicemen, routinely serving in a combat zone. The perpetrators will often take the true rank and name of a U.S. Soldier who is honorably serving his country somewhere in the world, or has previously served and been honorably discharged, then marry that up with some photographs of a Soldier off the internet, and then build a false identity to begin prowling the internet for victims. The scams often involve carefully worded romantic requests for money from the victim to purchase special laptop computers, international telephones, military leave papers, and transportation fees to be used by the fictitious "deployed Soldier" so their false relationship can continue. The scams include asking the victim to send money, often thousands of dollars at a time...
How will I know if he is telling the truth or lying? ...
Two important maxims:

"If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is too good to be true."

The "perfect" man does not exist. It's just as safe to assume that a smooth-talking Romeo from overseas is out to exploit you as it is to assume that a stuttering bumpkin standing next to you might be interested in you.

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

Use a search engine with the key words "Army", "Nigeria", and "Scam" - that's how I found the article that I linked to above. What that article describes applies to your situation, so the Army guy in Nigeria probably is running a Scam.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 6:43 am

A handsome US Army man would probably have a lot of admirers who are as hot as him, even in Nigeria, why would he waste time to date someone online?

Be realistic, he is not real.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 11:12 am

He want to scam me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 11:35 am

It sounds like a possible scam. However one idea you might try is setting the location options to where it just shows you matches that are close enough to meet in person. I really never bothered with anyone that was too far away to meet in person without making a point to travel. For one I have to meet in person early on to decide if I want to pursue a relationship...also though I feel it cuts down on potential scams, since if I require meeting before pursuing things further...then I don't look like someone who will fall for someone 'online' and be willing to send money or something without ever requiring to see them in person.

Does this guy have a profile picture?....Is the whole profile filled out or is it mostly blank?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 2:42 pm

This is precisely why I don't do dating sites.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 4:40 pm

There are no US troops deployed in Nigeria--trust me.

Most Nigerians aren't scam artists--but Nigeria is known as being the central location of many internet, banking, and other scams.

You should read up on something called "419 Fraud." That's the number of the anti-corruption law in Nigeria.

Don't deal with this man. If he asks you for money so he can take out his money and give part of it to you, then you know it's a scam. It's probably the most common Nigerian scam.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 4:59 pm

I'm not talking to him anymore.