Interested in a guy, but don't know if he's single ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

LeaPoufyPony
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 May 2016, 6:38 pm

I'm interested in someone who works for the same company as mine but We work in completely unrelated departments.(we have little, if any, work related contact) However, we seem to run into each other walking in and out of conference rooms, hallways ,elavotors and staff rooms. He now always make it a point to smile ,ask how I'm doing .I see him see him around 1-3 times a week if I'm lucky.

There's no indication that he is anything towards me other than just-being a -pleasant friendly professional capacity but I'm curious about him, and therefore want to talk to him more, spend some time with him. For the past week, I've been trying to get his attention by talking to him more but I haven't been getting back any signs that he's romantically interested in me . I ask him questions to prolong what he's talking about but he is always in hurry to leave because of work.He hasn't asked any personal questions about myself nor has he asked for my number.Few days ago, he saw me eating a hamburger on my lunch break. Then when he ran into me upstairs , he said "hi' again and he brought up how I was eating a hamburger and how he wanted to grab it from me. Then today, when he saw me he was like" I made myself some hamburger yesterday when I got home because of you,LOL.I just can't tell if he only likes me as friend or romantically.

The bottom line is, I want to find out more about this guy. For instance, is he single, and is the interest mutual? The problem is ,we don't have any mutual friends or friendly acquaintances, and the context in which we met is a professional one. So the only way to find out is by flat out asking him.What kind of message would that send if I ask him his age then ask if he's married? Would that be awkward?

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2016, 7:07 pm

My suggestion would be to keep things professional for now. That said, you can try to engage him more by doing something like inviting him to join you on your lunch break. That's how you can really get to know him better, and a good lead-in towards asking him more personal questions like about his hobbies/interests.

For now, assume that he's taken and don't make any romantic advances. Once you get to know him better, you can worry about all of those things!

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2016, 1:03 am

Just ask. It won't change his attraction to you and it will save time if he's married. Also it'll be easier to get over this if you don't invest too much time and effort.