Are you tired of trying to find love?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2016, 7:53 pm

Background to this is that I've been alone for most of my life. I've never had any close friends and haven't had any friends in years. I want love but I'm not sure that there is anybody who is compatible with my autistic social requirements.

Does anybody understand this? I'm just sick of it all, nobody wants to talk to or acknowledge me, women pretend that you don't exist and even other autistic people don't want to know you.

Really I just want somebody who I can be close to, so that I can forget about other people.

arkatron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2016, 12:44 am

Yes, I think I understand the feeling. I think there's probably someone out there for everyone, but it can be tricky finding them. Why not spend some time focusing on yourself rather than being preoccupied with the idea of love? After all, love happens when we least expect it. :wink:

What are your particular autistic social requirements? Have you been trying to make friends recently?

ohmsweetohm
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Apr 2016, 3:09 am

I know how you feel.

On the odd occasion that I have 'found love', I tend to ruin things pretty quickly! Finding love leads me to more problems - Your partner will expect you to join in with social events with her friends then. So it doesn't really allow you to 'forget about other people'.

Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200
Official Diagnosis: ASD, Nov 2017

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 6:56 am

Never bothered looking. I've always been a loser, a freak, ugly. I rarely fit in, am socially awkward and get really anxious around strangers, and take a very long time to warm up to people even to the point of being friends, let alone trying to start up a relationship.

The expectation with relationships seems to be that a man just approaches a woman he barely knows and they start dating just to get to know one another. That whole concept feels revolting to me. I'd much prefer just starting off as friends with someone and over a period of time slowly develop feelings for them. A natural relationship rather than forcing things.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 7:24 am

ohmsweetohm wrote:
Your partner will expect you to join in with social events with her friends then. So it doesn't really allow you to 'forget about other people'.

Not necessarily. If you meet somebody in a club/setting where you enjoy the activities, you have that interest in common, and if she is ND, she might not enjoy going to other social events with friends, or at least might find it acceptable to go on her own. Another alternative is to meet them during spring/summer in a park, nature, or other public setting where people that enjoy social events are unlikely to be.

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2016, 11:37 pm

Sabreclaw wrote:
The expectation with relationships seems to be that a man just approaches a woman he barely knows and they start dating just to get to know one another.

The biggest problem I have with this senario is that it casts me in entirely the wrong role.
But in the mixed up sexist society I'm stuck in it seems impossible that I could ever be approached or "asked out" :(

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2016, 12:13 am

Almajo88 wrote:
I want love but I'm not sure that there is anybody who is compatible with my autistic social requirements.

That is by far the best I've heard that concept worded. :wink:

Yeah, add in that I'm asexual too. There's out there like being autistic or asexual, then there's really really out there like being both. It used to hurt a lot when I was younger, but I realized that with those two issues chances of a close companionship were very slim. I chose to invest my time following my interests instead and never looked back. Once in a while it'll pop up in my mind and I'll get a bit sad, but I'm over it pretty quickly anymore and those moments keep coming less often.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 9:10 pm

are you implying you were born in the year 1988 OP? because 88 is at the end of your username, but ya i feel that way, since i'm tired of first dates not turning into second dates, my newest thread i feel sums up everything how i feel.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 9:13 pm

> Are you tired of trying to find love?

Aye. :(

There Are Four Lights!

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 9:43 pm

Just keep trawling through the dating sites, crawling across the usual sexual desert. It is the way it is.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 9:48 pm

I am looking for something similar with a person my age. I've spent so many years trying to blend into NT life and now I just want to be my ND self. My partner imposes his choices too much and I am about to embark on my own.
What you are looking for sounds just about perfect to me. Pretty much just that one other person in your life besides family.
What do you envision life to be like with respect to work and home life?