Performing an online dating experiment

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Closet_Genius
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Sep 2016, 5:38 pm

I've been reading a lot of the dating threads and advice on here and a lot of it is things I was already doing. Well I've had a few ltr's and many sexual partners but nothing has lasted more than 4 years. I believe it has a lot to do with my quirks becoming more frequent as I become more comfortable. I have a dating profile on three different sites. I have disclosed that I'm an aspie, while debunking some of the beliefs about aspies. I'm curious to see if I still get the kind of responses I had with my first profile. My first pof profile that didn't say anything had 15 messages and 40 match interests in the first hour. Let's see what happens and if there is a positive response.

Closet_Genius

11 Sep 2016, 5:41 pm

here's the link to the pof profile

http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?pro ... =127746762

Closet_Genius

11 Sep 2016, 10:47 pm

That was a complete failure lmao. All I got was a mother of an aspie wanting to chat with me. I probably shouldn't have done that with my own profile. Everyone I was already talking to just stopped. Oh well... :roll:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 12:16 pm

Keep your Asperger a secret to yourself and to yourself only.

Never ever reveal it to anyone, even to your future wife, it is by far better to be seen as an odd person than as someone 'having something incurable'.

Reveal it only on the deathbed.

Closet_Genius

12 Sep 2016, 4:20 pm

I understand what you're saying but that's not what I want. I'm looking for someone that accepts it and doesn't think I need to be fixed. I'm talking to a beautiful woman now that has a boy with aspergers and teaches kids with disabilities. She's extremely understanding and likes me the way I am...maybe there is hope.

Synth.osx
Raven
Raven

13 Sep 2016, 2:36 am

In that case, consider looking for someone on this website or join an Autism support group. It worked out for me, many others have found a partner that way as well.

Dating websites are more focused on a process of selection where you need to place your best foot forward. Even if you view your diagnosis as a part of you, many people will not understand it and stereotype you one way or the other.

Closet_Genius

13 Sep 2016, 3:06 am

Synth.osx wrote:
In that case, consider looking for someone on this website or join an Autism support group. It worked out for me, many others have found a partner that way as well.

Dating websites are more focused on a process of selection where you need to place your best foot forward. Even if you view your diagnosis as a part of you, many people will not understand it and stereotype you one way or the other.

I wouldn't even know where to begin here and I can't find any support groups in my area. As far as people stereotyping me, I expect that to happen. It doesn't even bother me anymore. It just gives me a clear answer as to whether or not I'll get along with them. :lol:

traven
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 3:08 am

it even comes in french, lol, firstly i would advise you to change your photos
less is more, why a pic with a dog if you haven't one, the two asses isn't good neither, nor the partyhats

Closet_Genius

13 Sep 2016, 3:32 am

I had two dogs until my wife kicked me out and will have another soon. That picture actually gets the best responses. The asses are just funny. The one with the sticker is mine. I can see your point about the party hats though. I've changed my profile back to what it was since I made this post. I was really just doing it as an experiment to see how people view aspergers. I actually do pretty well on dating sites and wanted to see if disclosing my diagnosis would change that.

Dr.Pepper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Sep 2016, 7:59 pm

The Asperger's thing probably doesn't matter as much as the smoking thing on your profile. Some people will see that and not go any farther.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 8:47 pm

I generally let people get to know me a little bit before I mention anything about my Asperger's diagnosis. I tend to bring it up when it fits the dynamic and topic of the conversation.

It's harder to ascribe stereotypes to someone you've already gotten to know.