Is this the right attitude to have if a girl is not into you

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 12:59 pm

10 years ago back in college I chased after this girl who I had a crush on in one of my classes but she wasn't interested.

I talked to my brother about how she wasn't that into me and he said to me "you know what man you should start thinking to yourself (f word) this b***h and move on".

Do you think that was excellent advice from my brother? I for one think it's a great attitude to have if a girl is not interested in you :)

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 1:15 pm

First off, she's not a "b***h" just because she's not interested. That's her right. But aside from that rather ugly term of speech your brother used, he's essentially correct and the advice is indeed excellent advice.

If someone is clearly not interested it really is in the most optimal interests of both her and YOU, to just let it go nicely and move on.

If you have a problem with something I post, something I believe, something I do or say, something in my sig, or something I am stupid enough to share that I'm struggling with and being caused pain by -- TELL ME TO MY FACE so that I can defend myself, instead of see you make a mockery of or a dig about it later.

On the other hand, friends will never need an explanation, and enemies bent on disliking me will never accept one.

ASD Level 1, PTSD. Plus anxiety with panic attacks, mild sub-clinical situational depression -- and a massive case of sheer freakin' BURNOUT.

~ ~ ~

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 1:23 pm

Jamesy wrote:
10 years ago back in college I chased after this girl who I had a crush on in one of my classes but she wasn't interested.

I talked to my brother about how she wasn't that into me and he said to me "you know what man you should start thinking to yourself (f word) this b***h and move on".

Do you think that was excellent advice from my brother? I for one think it's a great attitude to have if a girl is not interested in you :)

Well I don't think a girl is a b*ch for not being into someone, no one can really force attraction...but the bit about moving on is certainly valid.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 1:29 pm

Love isn't one of those things you can just force someone to feel. So yes, your brother was right. Well, the unnecessary derogatory slur aside.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 1:31 pm

It would have been to everyone's benefit if you just moved on from this.

You have to learn about the past----but not be influenced by it.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 1:52 pm

What he probably should have said was "don't waste your time on someone who is not interested and forget about her"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 1:57 pm

Yep...that would have been better.

The way you described how your brother talked is a common way people speak until they become mature enough to know better.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 12:17 am

The attitude of thinking that something you can't have is probably bad, anyway, is known as sour grapes. I used to read Aesop's fables as a child about how a fox who couldn't get the grapes from a tall vine gave up and said he didn't want them because they were sour. It can make someone feel better but it's often not true. Still, someone who doesn't appreciate you isn't someone to spend time chasing after. Another phrase: There are always more fish in the sea.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 4:07 am

the wording used could have been chosen better, but indeed, the intended attitude is a good one; dwelling on a person is not good for your (mental) health

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 2:48 pm

Canary wrote:
Another phrase: There are always more fish in the sea.
I think the sea is polluted & some people are overfishing.

You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.