Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 11:17 pm

I feel a bit confused by it. I'm honest on my description, saying I'm overweight but I see people who are more fat than me describing them as average or a little extra weight, so I wonder if people think I'm more fat than I really am because of it?

Sometime World
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2017, 4:38 am

ltcvnzl wrote:
I feel a bit confused by it. I'm honest on my description, saying I'm overweight but I see people who are more fat than me describing them as average or a little extra weight, so I wonder if people think I'm more fat than I really am because of it?

Plentyoffish gives a new user the option of eliminating all fat people from searches when you first sign up. Many fat women (and men) put body type as 'average' to get around this, usually with just a face picture as to hide their fat body. They do it to get more attention and messages. I think its execrable to be honest. I mean, would you like to waste time or even meet up with a date that turns out to be fat when they were listed normal / average weight?

Being honest is the best policy.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 8:11 pm

Well are you severely overweight? If not 'a little extra weight' might be the best option...overweight is more vague and could be anywhere from slightly overweight to morbidly obese.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 8:16 pm

Sometime World wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

Plentyoffish gives a new user the option of eliminating all fat people from searches when you first sign up. Many fat women (and men) put body type as 'average' to get around this, usually with just a face picture as to hide their fat body. They do it to get more attention and messages. I think its execrable to be honest. I mean, would you like to waste time or even meet up with a date that turns out to be fat when they were listed normal / average weight?

Being honest is the best policy.

Why would they want to date someone who specifically eliminates overweight people from their search and sees it as a dealbreaker. Seems like it would be a waste of time to focus any efforts on those people.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 12:45 pm

There are a few sub-categories in the group of "heavier" people (both men and women do this).

The first is indeed the group that tries to evade the "i don't even want to message fat people" bias. This isn't really effective since the first picture will still show your real body type.

The second group has a different definition of "overweight" versus "a little extra", and genuinely think they are not overweight. (conversely, it is possible that you put the dividing line lower than average).

Thirdly, there are those that do know they are overweight, but realize that many people on dating sites equate "overweight" with "obese", and try to avoid that. In this case, it is the other person that places the divider higher than you would.