Aspie dating someone with Anxiety and Depression

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

cato4797
Raven
Raven

07 Aug 2017, 1:28 pm

Hey so I've been dating this girl for a weeks now - we really like each other. But she has anxiety and depression and I think maybe some other things.

While those don't bother me, I'm worried about the mix of aspergers on one side and anxiety and depression on the other, and what that could mean if we got into a relationship.

Thoughts?

MrBear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Aug 2017, 6:12 pm

I myself actually do suffer from anxiety and depression at times so I may deal better, but I have dated somebody with severe depression and anxiety. I am not going to lie, sometimes it is very difficult. Your own issues may sometimes make it a challenge to attend to her in the manner which you should. Dealing with another's anxiety can be draining or even make you anxious or depressed. Now that all the doom is out of the way... You can still have a rewarding and worthwhile relationship despite the potential for problems. If you really like her and if being around her makes you feel happiness it may be worth a shot. Romantic relationships, like all other types, have trying times and problems. But sometimes the good things make the bad things all the worth dealing with.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 1:20 pm

cato4797 wrote:
Hey so I've been dating this girl for a weeks now - we really like each other. But she has anxiety and depression and I think maybe some other things.

While those don't bother me, I'm worried about the mix of aspergers on one side and anxiety and depression on the other, and what that could mean if we got into a relationship.

Thoughts?

I think it can cause clashes because your autism could make her anxiety and depression worse and her issues could make your autism worse because of the anxiety she could be giving you. I have dated two men who were sick. One had undiagnosed schizophrenia and the other had undiagnosed cluster B and both of them made my anxiety worse so I acted worse. But it's even stressful for NTs too when they date someone with a mental illness or someone who has autism but I can imagine it's even harder for those who have anxiety and depression. I am more prone to getting depression so those two ex's made me depressed and then I got over it when they were gone because I had happiness again. Mine comes and goes.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 10:31 am

I'm autistic and my boyfriend suffers depression. Things work out if both people make the effort to make things work. Communication is key always.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 3:02 pm

These are ALL normal human emotions that happen to anyone at times.

I wish people would stop sensationalizing everything about aspies as well as NTs.

'Typical' isn't even real. It's totally undefined. Same reason it's rude to call someone else mundane.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: