Geographic dating challenges-and for all the wrong reasons

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 2:31 pm

I should be in dating heaven, since I primarily live in New York City. But that isn't the case and I'll give a few examples as to why:

I find dating in the city challenging. If anyone on here is from NYC and has used Tinder, it's like visiting a vape shop. I'm not into the indie scene and I find Polariod-looking profile pics a turn-off. I'm not artsy and underground bands don't interest me. I'm into bubbly, positive women, not eternal nihilists.

Every time I've been out of town, I've gotten more matches. Case-in-point: in 2005 I was visiting Texas and I got quite a few matches. It's also where I hooked up with a girl who would later become my first serious girlfriend since college. And after (sort of) reconnecting with a Tinder match from Michigan who I chatted with briefly in Chicago but sadly, never got to meet up with it has had me thinking: is it worth my time dealing with the New York dating scene?

I did the long distance relationship thing and I'm not moving to a particular part of the country to be with someone, but I'm having trouble finding like-minded souls. I might try getting involved with the locally-oriented Facebook pages for singles & the ASD community in the city.

Any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 2:59 pm

I'm from Queens. When I was your age, I was trying to get girls on the subway LOL. There was no "online" dating then. There were "personals" in the newspapers, though. And the Village Voice.

My suggestion....do what you find successful. If you don't find New Yorkers to be your speed, then go for people from other cities.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 3:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm from Queens. When I was your age, I was trying to get girls on the subway LOL. There was no "online" dating then. There were "personals" in the newspapers, though. And the Village Voice.

My suggestion....do what you find successful. If you don't find New Yorkers to be your speed, then go for people from other cities.

I'm originally from Queens as well! Almost gave a total stranger on the subway my business card, but then I realized I didn't want to possibly spend the night in jail! But yes, for some reason it's weird how I don't connect with locals but more with non NYers.

I was fortunate to pick up the last print edition of the Village Voice. It's not the same with it all digital.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 6:06 pm

Doesn’t nyc have more women then men?

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 6:32 pm

sly279 wrote:
Doesn’t nyc have more women then men?

Technically yes, but it depends on your tastes.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 8:41 pm

Based on the people I correspond with (not necessarily potential romantic partners), I tend to connect better with people from Australia, including on WP.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 9:37 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Based on the people I correspond with (not necessarily potential romantic partners), I tend to connect better with people from Australia, including on WP.

For me, it's the American Midwest. And for some weird reason, women who don't want children.