Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Gbgeorgia1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2018, 10:11 am

Is it strange I never fancy men the same age as me? I have only dated men who are at least 33 and I'm 21 is that strange ?
My parents have a 20 year age gap that could be why.
Yesterday a family friend came with their cousin and her parents and I knew her parents were married yet her dad flirted with me, don't know if its obvious when I like someone :?:

caffeinekid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2018, 10:38 am

Age is just a number as long as you get along well (and are both over the age of consent obviously) so try not to over-think it too much.

The age gap can be a problem sometimes if there is a generation gap, and you are into totally different music for example - unless you are of the mind that opposites attract.

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 10:45 am

Gbgeorgia1 wrote:
Is it strange I never fancy men the same age as me? I have only dated men who are at least 33 and I'm 21 is that strange ?

It's not strange. It's just your personal preference. Some women only fancy men roughly their own age, some only men noticeably older than them and some like both.

Gbgeorgia1 wrote:
Yesterday a family friend came with their cousin and her parents and I knew her parents were married yet her dad flirted with me, don't know if its obvious when I like someone :?:

Maybe it's obvious, maybe not. If the flirting was innocent enough that may just be his natural way of interacting with women. Was the wife in the same room when he flirted? In that case it probably doesn't mean anything and she's probably used to him acting that way towards other people.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 May 2018, 1:21 am

Where I come from it's pretty common for women to be with older guys. My 2nd girlfriend was 19 when I was 28 but I met her on this forum. Part of the reason our relationship fell apart is because she was dependent on her parents to help pay for college & her own place & stuff & they wanted the realtionship on their terms. They're pretty conservative(lived in Texas) & didn't want us to be alone together unless we were married & they would of cut her off financially if we did. I'm disabled & my SSDI isn't enough for me to support someone as well as myself. I was willing to try & make the realtionship work by only seeing her at her parents & was doing my best to find a job so I could of saved up some money. She decided to end things thou but they were lots of other reasons why she did.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2018, 7:32 am

Personally I am more attracted to women at least 10 years older or younger than me. I’ve never dated or had a relationship with anyone I had that much of a difference with, but if I had it all to do over again I’d probably make more of an effort.

Preferences aside, though, in my experience relationships are more optimal the closer in age you are. You have similar enough experience that you work better side-by-side. If I were with a woman in her late teens or early 20’s, I’d have the pressure of taking the lead and carrying her. I don’t like feeling like I have to constantly entertain someone. But at this point in my life I feel it would be easier to do than if I were trying to date the same type of woman 20 years ago.

Much older women... ok, young women always like to say they want to be admired for more than their looks. When you’re younger, doesn’t matter your gender, I’m sorry, but your looks are about all you have. That and your hopes and dreams. What you’re really saying is you want to be loved for your potential. Older women have actually ACHIEVED something, so there’s actually something there to admire. Diane Keaton is high on my celeb crush list, as is Meg Ryan.

Not trying to demonize young people. You have to start somewhere and everyone knows maturity is a process. As to whether anything is wrong with age gaps...nah. There’s no right/wrong. There’s legal/illegal, so whether an age gap is worth it depends on whether you want to risk going to or sending someone to prison. Normally you can have healthy relationships at any age.