For those who had an ASD partner

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 7:18 pm

Right now I'm alone but I had my only relationship with my ex-GF from April 2015 to April 2016. I was 24 years old and she was 22. Even though she wasn't really "hot" in the conventional idea I still thought she was pretty cute to me in her own way. She was also on the spectrum and had certain other conditions.

The part that's a little strange is that even though she was 22 (now 25-ish) her looks were more similar to a 12-14 year old girl than a 20s woman. I believe this kind of confirms the idea of aspies aging physically at a slower rate.

I wanted to ask the other people here who had or now has a partner who looks more young-girlish or young-boyish.

The Geek Overlord
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Feb 2019, 8:25 pm

Both of my exes are on the spectrum.
My most recent ex does look her age; maybe even a little older. My first ex and I both look SIGNIFICANTLY younger than we actually are. It is genetic, my dad did get "carded" past the age of 45, but on the other hand, my mom went grey in her early 30s. I know for a fact that I hit pretty much every developmental milestone puberty onward super late (I never had to use a razor until I was 18, and even then, didn't have to shave my upper lip until 19). Take my sample size of 3 with a grain of salt, but yes.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Feb 2019, 9:18 pm

Both my 2nd & current girlfriend are on the spectrum. I'm not great at guessing people's ages but I would say they both looked around their age. From what others say about them & judge them they do. However the way my current girlfriend acts & where she is with her life situation is younger than her age so some people who observe her or know her alittle may think she's younger cuz of that.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 10:24 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
I believe this kind of confirms the idea of aspies aging physically at a slower rate.

That's not universally true. I hit puberty pretty early, at about 12. My voice started cracking around 13 and I started developing noticeable facial hair at 13/14. My brother who's not on the spectrum developed comparatively later than me in all respects mentioned above.

I'm virtually always perceived as being older than I am and my brother is more likely to be perceived as younger than he is, yet I'm the one on the spectrum. I dont know where the idea that Aspies look physically younger than they are came from but my experience doesn't attest to that at all.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Feb 2019, 10:43 pm

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
I dont know where the idea that Aspies look physically younger than they are came from but my experience doesn't attest to that at all.
I think people tend to think us Aspies are younger because of our mannerisms, way we dress & act & the expressions on our face ect. Those things get factored in when others make guesses about our ages. Like you I also hit puberty early. I started loosing my hair in my mid 20s & I also started having a few grey hairs in my late 20s.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2019, 4:11 pm

One of my 2 x's was on the Spectrum, although you couldn't tell on both of us as we are extremely high functioning and both are self sufficient, independent ..

She was younger than me in 2 years however we looked the same age as she because was very tall, and extremely beautiful too. We had a serious relationship but that came to an end for an unknown reason.

"I dont know where the idea that Aspies look physically younger than they are came from but my experience doesn't attest to that at all."

yeah, you're defo right. There's absolutely 0 relation between ASD and physical appearance. Pretty much this sentence closes this thread up nicely...